glock 19 jamming with gold dot on last round

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by BrandonP, Oct 16, 2010.

Tags:
  1. BrandonP

BrandonP

Hello all I have a glock 19 either 1st or 2nd gen. Only has the single stack 10 round mag. I have two mags and both will fail to feed the last round regardless of whether I put 10 rounds in it or only 3 rounds. It has been flawless with ball ammo but seems to struggle with the speer gold dot (124 gr. I believe). On the last round in the mag it seems to get stuck on the feed ramp leaving the slide locked open. Ramp is very smooth so I don't know that polishing it would do anything. Any suggestions on ammo or how to address the real problem of my FTF would be very much appreciated. Thanks all

2. Whtwolf14

Whtwolf14

Are the mags old as well? If so, maybe pick up some new mags from CDNN for $20 and give them a try. Or you could just replace the springs rather than buy new mags.

3. Sonnytoo

Sonnytoo

You have an early gun. Best guess? Change the mag spring.
    Sonnytoo

4. flivver

flivver

Yeah... Change the mag springs. I have a 2003 G19 (7 years old) that I just changed the springs on. They were almost an inch shorter than the new ones. Sounds like yours is even older, so I imagine your springs are even more compressed.

5. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

Call glock and they will send you new mag springs. If that doesn't work they'll make it right.

6. Glock19Fan

Glock19Fan Cool Guy

Sounds to me like a follower problem. IIRC they were 2183 followers that came with the 10 rounders. I have no idea why they would do that, becuase the followers design pushes the nose of the rounds down, rather than sitting up. With the nose of the bullet facing down, they are rammed into the feed ramp, cuasing the feed problem.

Call Glock and they should send you some 9mm3-9mm5 or so followers. Just a swap will fix the problem. I doubt it has anything to do with the springs.

Also, an even easier and better solution is to get your hands on some 15 round magazines. New ones will have the newly designed followers, and you can shoot your weapon flawlessly like it was intended. :cool:

Edit: The Gold Dots were famous for having problems with the 2183 followers. In the mean time until you get new followers or 15 round magazines, you could try a hollow point with a smaller, more rounded nose. Either that, or try keeping the last round in the magazine a FMJ, with the top 9 being hollow points.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2010
  7. bentbiker

bentbiker

OP, is this a new gun for you? If not, did it previously work fine? If so, that would eliminate the possibility of the follower being the problem.

Where are you located? In a state limiting the mags to 10 rds? If not, get the 15 rd mags. If limited to 10 rd mags and a new spring doesn't work, I think Glock19Fan's recommendation of one FMJ rd on the bottom is very pragmatic.

8. Dingus

Dingus

Replace the follower with a 9mm-3 and replace the mag spring while you are at it.

9. Gary1911A1

Gary1911A1

Replacing the magazine springs and followers or just buying new mags could solve your problem, but a contributing factor could be a weaken recoil spring too so maybe it's also time to replace all your springs.

10. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

It is not your recoil spring. If your followers are marked 2183-1, then they are the problem. The have been since 1994. Just follow the advice of Dingus, or buy new magazines. If you live in a "Free" State, get 15-round magazines.

11. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Private side

If you have a 1st gen 19, you have a keeper. Does the grip have "grenade" checkering (2nd gen) or the wholly pebbled (1st gen) grip?