close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock 19, Glock 30, and Glock 36 size comparison

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by jensen_lover, Feb 19, 2010.

1. jensen_lover

jensen_lover

Why doesn't Glock make a Glock 19 size .45 caliber gun?

How close are the 30 and 19?
    Hickock45 said the difference was negligable. He put the guns slide to slide (pun intended) and they were nearly the same. But what about the grip length?

Is the 36 bigger than the 30? On a handgun review site it said the 36 is compact and the 30 is subcompact. Is that correct?

I am looking for a CCW because I think my G22 will bo too uncomfortable. I do not have a .45, so the 30 is at top in the running.

I know I need to go try all of these guns out, and will get to that as soon as I can. Thanks for the input.

2. LABMAN

LABMAN GLOCK 20SF 10MM

Aside from thickness & number of rounds the mags hold, there is not much difference at all. Size & thickness wise, the 19 & 36 are most similar. Don't read too much into the "compact & sub-compact" with these 3 models. They are real close to the same...

3. jensen_lover

jensen_lover

I am mostly concerned about the grips. The grip of the 22 is about perfect for my hand. I figure the 19 size will be the next best thing. Thanks.

4. LABMAN

LABMAN GLOCK 20SF 10MM

The feel of the 36 is most like that of the 19.

5. HauntedAlabama

HauntedAlabama

The 30 is thick but about the same size as the others. I like the feel of the 36 but did not like the lower capacity. I really like the 30/30SF platform though, if I was going to say which to get I would pic the 30.

6. buckshotshorty

buckshotshorty

I have all three guns you asked about. Don't go by Glock's description. The key difference in size between the Glock 30 and 36 is the thickness. I posted this in another thread:

[​IMG]

The G19 is a little longer than each of these and somewhere in the middle in thickness.

7. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

They do: Glock 38. .45 GAP, not .45 ACP.

Yes the slide is a little wider. But the receiver is identical to the 19.

8. spin180

spin180

My 19 and 30 compared:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. jensen_lover

jensen_lover

This is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you. Why is the grip a half inch shorter? Why did Glock do that? WHY?

This isn't a game. This is Glocktalk. Thanks bud. The GAP is not really what I was looking for but may be my only option. I do not think I will have trouble concealing a 19, so I may get the compact GAP.

The handle length, from bottom of mag well to top of slide, is what I am mainly concerned with. The thickness of the gun is a far second. Thank you.

Thanks sergeant. If I want only six rounds in a gun I would probably get a small 1911. Isn't the big allure with Glock magazine capacity? (Among other things obviously)

Having only six rounds is my reservation with that gun. It is thinner because it is single stack correct? Thanks for your input bud.

10. MarccraM

MarccraM

I'll throw this in.. I caution you to consider weight as well though.. I'm weight sensitive, and I own a g30 which I no longer carry (unfortunately).

There is no doubt that the g30 is an outstanding firearm. Accurate, easy to shoot, over the top awesome capacity... Unfortunately a fully loaded g30 is aroung 34 ounces which is a couple of hairs short of 2 lbs. For me I carry iwb and I always felt likt the 30 was trying to pull my pants down. The heavy weight did wonders for my bad back and I have had to go to lower weight items like the g27.

11. sgt-spam

sgt-spam NRA Life Member

Subscribed.

Lots of great photos here - thanks.

12. jensen_lover

jensen_lover

I do not think weight will be much of a concern. I am worried about the grip being suffiecient. I am a bodybuilder so I pick up heavy **** all the time. I guess that is different but I do not think the 30 will cause me any trouble. If I am going to go to the .40 or 9mm I would just get a 23/19. I think the small guns are too small. I have not held any of them, so my mind might change once I pick them up.

A couple weeks ago I was hell-bent on concealing my 22. Then I thought, if I can conceal the 22, the 21 will not be much harder. I really want a .45 so the 30 seemed like the intermediate. But, I think it may be a bit too small. If it turns out my hands are not comfortable on it, I will get the 38 or a compact 10mm. Errr... I do not think they make a compact 10mm either. Darnit.

I REALLY do not want a GAP. I REALLY want a high power carry gun. .357 is sort of out of the question. What to do... What to do.

13. Mopaw

Mopaw

Be sure to get the Pearce grip extension shown in Spin 180's picture. The factory magazine butt for the G30 is different.

14. Dave T

Dave T

jensen,

The earlier comments about the weight of the G30 had nothing to do with strength but with ease of carry. A heavy gun is harder to keep tucked in tight against the body and consequently concealed. That was what he was trying to tell you and being a body builder won't help that at all.

Dave

15. dregotglock

dregotglock CHL Instructor

I own a g23 and a g30 - looked and got my hands on the 36.

I like the slim fit of the 36 which is pretty close to my 23. I do not have large hands but still found the 30 to be more to my liking - that and the extra rounds of the 30 vs 36 was important to me. For me the major difference is in the butt length. Between the 30 and the 23 there is about a 1/2 difference in height. This made a huge difference for iwb carry and really do not feel that the weight is a big deal. Carry daily for 10+ hrs/day without issue.

Also, as for ccw - I have not had any issues with having the 30 not sit close to my body. Not sure if this is an ongoing concern but this is not my experience. My daily rig is a g30 in my own kydex iwb holster on a Cabellas Duty Belt - wear at 4:00 and with a light polo or tshirt it is invisable. No print and very easy access. I am fit but not a body builder - 5'10" 185lbs - no issues.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2010
  16. beforeobamabans

beforeobamabans FYPM

The G30 is a subcompact because like the 26 and 27, it only has room for two finger grooves on the grip. However, Glock chooses to ship it with 10 round mags so it can advertise "10+1". The smooth end of the 10 round mag sticks out providing some purchase for your pinky.

One of the nice things about this gun is that you've got all kinds of options on modifying the grip with factory mags. You can get 9 rd mags to create a flush fit or you can use a G21 mag for a killer 13+1 HD gun. What many of us have done is buy the Pearce mag extension noted above which provides an OE style finger grip. Here's another look at it:
    [​IMG]

17. pizza_pablo

pizza_pablo USN Retired

http://www.glock.com/english/index_pistols.htm

I recommend going to a range that rents Glocks. This really helped me decide on the G23.
    It allows you to not only see how they feel, while shooting, but also how the gun acts, in your hand while comparing each model size and caliber you are interested in.

18. gunslinger3

gunslinger3 Μολὼν λαβέ

I too am in Western WA. Do you know of any places the rent all these models?

19. Napa Nick

Napa Nick

You can try the Marksman in Puyallup: http://www.themarksman.net/store.html

Also,

I noticed the sub compact Glocks with their two finger grip frame did not work for me. I have big hands and found the mag sleeve pinched the crap out of my hand on reloads at speed. It's one thing to have a gun feel good in your hand at the counter, but you need to use it at speed to find out if it works for you or not.