Glock 19 gen4 or gen5, your thoughts please?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Eagle1, Nov 18, 2019.

1. Makoman

Makoman

Democratik People's Republik of Kommiefornia
    I like the lack of finger grooves but probably won’t buy a gen 5 for the same reason that I ended up selling off my gen 2’s. The cutout in the front of the grip really irritates the crap out of my pinky after a couple dozen rounds. I would shoot one first if you are able to and decide from there.

2. troysglock

troysglock Member

Gen 5 mos for better trigger, finish, optic option. No grip cut out either. It’s apparently the most durable/reliable version to date (from what I have read). Also, consider the LE agencies adopting this generation, which I do not believe are on some budget just trying to save money....

TacticalDesire likes this.

3. X65

X65

I’m seeing quite a few people disliking the ambidextrous slide stop.. any reason why?

4. TacticalDesire

TacticalDesire

Glock got rid of the cutout

5. The Father

The Father

Agree with previous poster upper, get a Gen4 with the MOS. Two G4’s all same parts etc etc
    Plus the safety on the G5 is funky

6. Deputydave

Deputydave Millennium Member

I have the Gen 4 in a G22 and G26. However, for the G19 I have a Gen 5. For me the choice simply boiled down to finger grooves. I can't stand the finger grooves on a Glock compact like the G19 or G23. So I would not have a G19 unless it was one without finger grooves. I can tolerate them on the full size or sub-compacts. If the finger grooves aren't an issue for you then either is a serviceable platform.

-JCN- likes this.
  7. DrewBone

DrewBone

As you've already stated above, you like your Gen4 G19, so you could always send it's slide out to get machined for an optic of your choice, i.e., to Jagerwerks, without having to spend the $$ on a new or used Gen5 G19(MOS) that you yourself tried and didn't find any of it's attributes any more appealing or positive than your current Gen4 model.

The maths: $125 (plus cost of refinishing if you so desire) vs. $620 = no brainer

Jagwerwerks:
    http://jagerwerks.com/glock/optic-cuts/

MCCM likes this.
  8. TexasPOff

TexasPOff "Tactical Elf"

Pick whichever one you prefer. Feel wise, the finger hump is the main difference. If you like finger humps, get the 4, if not go with the 5.

The finish on the 4 and 5 both have their benefits and negatives.

The internals is where the biggest changes occurred. The Gen5 has a redesign of the springs, which should have a longer service life due to be compression spring designed. Spring last longer when they are used in a compression motion rather than a stretching motion.

The firing pin block design is an improvement in the Gen5. The newer design allows for a better trigger feel. Again trigger feel is preference, but I like the Gen5 triggers over the other generations.

Ambi slide release, I don't care about it one way or another. I can take it or leave it.

The GMB, while it isn't earth shattering, I have found the new barrel to be more accurate compared to my other generations.

Is the Gen5 better than the 4th Gen?, probably not, it is just different. The lack of finger humps is better for some, but not everyone.

Are the newly designed internals better cause they will last longer?. Who knows, possibly?, but it isn't like it's difficult to source and repair older generations.

For me personally, I like the Gen5 guns, and the features they offer. Your not going to make a bad decision or go wrong with whichever one you get. They are both solid, proven workhorses, and will provide years of service.

It's like buying a car. You know which car you want, you just have to decide on which options you want on the car, IE Mustang GT350, or Bullet, same car just a different feature set.

TXPO

MCCM likes this.
  9. TexasPOff

TexasPOff "Tactical Elf"

Never mind, I just saw your location, it sucks cause the 5 isn't approved for Cal.

You know they have Gen5 both MOS and non MOS without the cut out now, just saying. :)

Gen 5 G19FS non MOS.
    [​IMG]

TXPO

10. DrewBone

DrewBone

The OP, Eagle1, is in Ohio...

11. Dan H

Dan H

Gen 5

I like the slightly flared magazine well and I am a fan of front slide serrations and do use them.

The trigger does seem to be slightly better on the generation 5 than previous guns which ain't a bad thing.

Factory Ameriglo front sight is awesome on the Gen 5.

-JCN- likes this.
  12. Trench Sweeper

Trench Sweeper On the day of your birth death began stalking you

KY where the taxes are as high as half the people
    OP, I used to feel the same way until I bought a Gen 5. Now, I am a gen 5 all the way guy. I now prefer the lack of finger grooves where as before I loved them. I also, like the trigger pull of the Gen 5 better.
    To elaborate on the finger groove thing I now feel I can get a much tighter grip on the gun without it being so tight that the guy shakes if that makes sense. I have noticed my second shot is faster, and just as accurate if not a touch more so.
    Shooting a Gen 5 once and saying the 4 is as good or better isn't really fair to the 5. Likewise the opposite because I know there are those out there who got rid of Gen 5s for Gen 4s.
    It really is up to the user but that is my experience and opinion of the two.

-JCN- likes this.
  13. Jbritt

Jbritt

Gen 4 > Gen 5 with cutout
    Gen 5 non cutout > gen 4

the cutout ruined the 19. Glad they finally fixed it. Stupid to begin with on the gen 5. Should have left that **** with the gen 2.

edited. I don’t know. I still like my gen 4 better. I like the gen 5 no finger groves but I don’t like the mag well either. I like it on the 45 and 17 but my hands are really too big for the 19 and I can feel the flared mag well and I dont like it. So I guess I’d still choose the gen 4. They shoot the same for me.

14. Nutty Professor 188

Nutty Professor 188 Patrol Corporal

I prefer the gen 5.

It is my understanding that when the gen 4 was designed the trigger system was redesigned to fit into the more narrow frame (front to back). This affected the angle of the disconnector resulting in slightly increased trigger pull weight. The dot "." connector was made to compensate and return the trigger pull to "standard" weight. But I don't think the gen 4 has as good a trigger pull as the gen 3 or gen 5. I think that the gen 5 has a slightly better trigger pull than either the gen 3 or 4. This is subjective, I know.

I like the beveled nose (better for reholstering) and lack of finger grooves on the gen 5. I don't really care about the ambi slide release. I could live without it but it's not a deal breaker. It is definitely a thicker piece, seems more robust.

I really think that the internal redesign of the gen 5 is well thought out.
    The flat leaf spring of the slide lock and the hairlike spring on the slide release have been changed to coil springs, which are a common design with the firing pin safety plunger spring (one spare spring for all 3 systems).
    The trigger return spring was changed to a compression coil from an extension coil. I would say that the trigger housing assembly is more difficult to disassemble and reassemble but the design is more reliable (in theory, time will tell).
    The firing pin safety plunger was changed to a beveled oval. This allows for more reliable engagement of the projection on the trigger bar. The bevel gives mechanical advantage and makes engagement require less force and smoother. It also negates the need for the drag inducing bump on the FPS projection of the trigger bar to insure that it is centered when the mag release is reversed on the gen 4.
    The gen 5 has a flared mag well but Glock mags are naturally more narrow at the top so I have never seen quick reloads to be a problem with the previous Glock mag wells. I guess it doesn't hurt to have it.

I'm not ragging on the gen 4. There is nothing wrong with it. But I think that the changes made in the gen 5 are real improvements, not just gimmicks.

15. Jisbell40

Jisbell40

I have a pair of gen 4 19s. One is nearing 40k fired and the other is still new in box. About 1k fired... I had a gen 5 but the funky gen 5 throat didn’t like my freezer full of 147 gr handloads.

16. -JCN-

-JCN-

If you point shoot a Gen4 irons well, you’ll point shoot a Gen5 RDS well... as long as you remember to point shoot it instead of hunting for a sight picture.

Remember, with RDS you don’t need to use it if you wouldn’t normally find your irons anyway.

Personally, I like the Gen5 but it’s not that much of a difference. If I were police and issued a Gen4 for work, I’d get a used Gen4 G19 for cheap and have it milled by BattleWerks for $75.

Then when your agency moved to Gen5, dump both and upgrade.

AdamRodgers likes this.
  17. TexasPOff

TexasPOff "Tactical Elf"

I was referencing Makoman, and getting rid of his Gen2's because of the cutout. I think he is in California.

TXPO

18. TexasPOff

TexasPOff "Tactical Elf"

The early Gen5 had an extremely short throat. Glock has since revised the chamber and they run 147 fine now.

TXPO

Jisbell40 likes this.
  19. AdamRodgers

AdamRodgers No Stock Glock's

I am more experienced with the Gen 4 Glock, when I got into Glock handguns the 4th Gen had just came out so that was the route I took.

I hate the finger grooves, so I took care of that ;)

I do like the trigger on my 19X and I am starting to get the trigger on my G48 similar to my bigger Glocks.

I would say try a Gen 5 MOS, there some Gen 4 MOS pistols out there also, but I really suggest, if you can find a pistol range that rent's Gen 5 Glocks and taken one for a spin. I like the trigger on em, you might not, were all different. You cant go wrong either way. :cheers:

-JCN- likes this.
  20. Makoman

Makoman

Democratik People's Republik of Kommiefornia
    Really? The half moon cutout at the bottom front of the grip? If so, then I need to consider getting one.