Glock 19 Gen3 or Gen4

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by redrick, Sep 12, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Gen3 19

36 vote(s)
    34.6%
  2. Gen4 19

68 vote(s)
    65.4%
  1. redrick

redrick

Which one would you buy and is the brass to the face issue fixed now ?

2. 1smoothredneck

1smoothredneck

I have a gen 4 G19 & I love it. Fits my hands better than previous generations, and has proven to be 100% reliable. I have not noticed BTF any more frequently than I have shooting older generation Glocks or other brand pistols for that matter. Roughly two or three casings off my forehead in 2500 or so rounds fired. I'm good with that.

Be safe.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2015

3. dbarn

dbarn

I have recently purchased two Gen 3 versions and like them very much. The overriding factor is the trigger pull is better out of the box vs Gen 4 ( at least on the samples I tried). One of them is the threaded barrel version and has become my favorite Glock.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2015
  4. xmanhockey7

xmanhockey7

5. dan291000

dan291000

Gen 4, larger mag release, better grip, stainless guide rod, 3 mags instead of two. I have owned several Gen 3's and 4's and would choose the 4 over the 3 regardless of all the so called issues/ myths lol.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2015
    ruffterrain likes this.
  6. dj45

dj45

I like the grip better on the Gen 4. Works better for me, and I don't have to change my grip to reach the mag release.

The BTF issue, well, not sure, I think I still get that from time to time, but I don't notice it as I'm always wearing a hat of some sort since I shave my head.

It's kind of a personal preference thing, but for me it's the Gen 4 without question.

HGxyz likes this.
  7. USAFgoober

USAFgoober

I prefer the Gen4 for the slimmer grip and rougher texture. As far as BTF being fixed, I couldn't really say. My 19 has all the latest factory parts (made in May 2015) and I get occasional BTF. I put up with it anyways, since it only happens about 5 times out of every 100rds. And I've never experienced it with carry ammo.

8. Karambit777

Karambit777

I own a 19 gen 3 and a 17 gen 4, and I can't tell a difference in shooting them. Grip and cosmetics are another story.

Your fine either way. Just pick the one that feels best to you.

9. BlueBacker

BlueBacker

I have a Gen3 and a Gen4. I prefer the Gen4, but the difference to me is somewhat negligible. I like the larger mag release, 3 mags instead of 2, and the options of the backstraps, although so far I'm running it with no backstrap for a (slightly) shorter grip. I do use the large beavertail on my G20 though.

ETA: I've only had the Gen4 to the range once and I did have one brass to the face in about 150 rounds. Really cheap target ammo.

10. BlkSheep

BlkSheep

I have had a Gen 3 since 2004. Love it to death. I just bought a Gen 3 Full FDE and a Gen 4 19. Love the Gen4 feel. I did notice 1 or 2 BTF with the 1st 50 or so rounds but never paid attention with my older Gen 3.

11. surf n turf

surf n turf

After years of shooting a gen 2 G23 and gen 3 G26 I finally broke down a couple years ago and bought a Gen 4 G19. It feels perfect in my hands with the smallest backstrap and I much prefer the gen 4 texture. It just feels great in my hand when shooting. My gen 3 G26 is really starting to feel like crap in my hand every time I take it to the range and I am trying my best to not break down and get a gen 4 and sell this thing. Only thing I'd miss is the Teflon-like finish on the Gen 3's.

ruffterrain likes this.
  12. HGxyz

HGxyz

All my gen4 guns (if you don't count 42 and 43) have the "Teflon-like" finish. Who says early adopters are foolish?

13. Lt Scott 14

Lt Scott 14

Have had mine, G19, G3, since 2002. Not one issue, except night sights have dimmed. Purchased as a Police Refurb, 3-10 rd mags included. Did replace a recoil spring assembly, close to 3000-4000 rounds, but wasn't having any problems. Carries well as a Deputy Sheriff Duty Weapon during Court Security 2002-2010.
    Retired now, but also added a G21, G3, as latest issue weapon. Both are great firearms.
    Enjoy.

14. Elmer Shiflett

Elmer Shiflett

Gen 3 has a better grip for my hands, so I would vote for Gen 3

15. wyntrout

wyntrout

I have a G23C and wanted to get a G19 for my wife. I got her a gen 3... too large... got a Gen 4... still too large. She thinks a G43 is heavy! I don't know if she remembers the weight of those S&W .38's she used for 20 years in the USAF. Anyhow, I got a Tactical Solutions .22 Conversion with Threaded Barrel and she liked shooting that, but then she didn't care for the 9mm when I replaced the 9mm slide/barrel. I haven't noticed a problem with brass coming back towards our faces with any of our Glocks. I did have a problem with my Kahr PM45 and Springfield Champion 4" tossing "lovetaps" at my forehead, so I developed a practice of wearing a Kahr or Glock ballcap with the brim properly forward and low enough to deflect any wayward brass. That and proper eye protection make a big difference.

We like the Gen 4 for its slightly smaller grip. I kind of wish that my G23C was Gen 4, but I don't guess that they make that model in Gen 4. I also chose the G21 SF and G30S for the smaller frames.

16. The Faux King

The Faux King Built To Spill

My personal preference would be the Gen 4 model. It comes with an extra magazine, a larger magazine release, and I think the beaver tail back straps are a must. My only complaint about the Gen 4 models is the grip texturing as I much prefer the Gen 3 grip texturing -- I purchased rubberized Talon grips to solve this issue.

17. Chop Suey

Chop Suey

My gen4 grey 19 feels even better in hand than my gen4 black 19.

Maybe just me.

Gimme the gen 4 !

18. Locust414

Locust414

It a personal preference.

But, for me, I "want" grip adjustability. I like the 'medium' grip on regular framed pistols and the 'large' grip for sub framed pistols.

Also, the large mag release is much better than the gen 3 pistols. It IS a improvement. I say this because I do own both gens 3 and 4 pistols. ALL my new pistols are gen 4. I will NOT buy a sub framed pistol in gen 3. That grip adjustability is a 'must' for me and my big hands.

As well, if you ever want to sell you pistols, you WILL sell a gen 4 MUCH EASIER and for a few dollars MORE over the gen 3 because of the gen 4 grip, ambi mag, larger mag release, and the double SS spring rod lasts longer.

AND gen 4 comes with 3 magazines instead of gen 3's two mags....

19. t4terrific

t4terrific

Brass to the face is an issue that hasn't been totally fixed for 30 years. Occasional BTF has always been a thing with Glocks. I have never owned a Glock 9mm, .40, or .45 that didn't hit me every once in a while.

Many of the early Gen 4 9mm's did it a lot. My wife's Gen 4 19 was awful (one in 5 hit hard, straight back around the mouth) but the new RSA and redesigned ejector fixed the problem.

It's like the rest of them now. A few rounds per hundred hit around the head. That's very tolerable for such an excellent type of pistol.

Gen 3 or 4, the Glock 19 is the best pistol ever made, for my taste.

I have a Gen 4 Glock 20 that has never hit me with brass. It's the only Glock I've ever owned that didn't do it occasionally.

20. trozau

trozau troy ounce gold