Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't get a chance to spend too much time talking to you all, but rest assured I enjoy the conversations. This last month I retired from the Sheriff's Office here and decided to try to find the perfect carry weapon. That has been an eye opening adventure.

I carry a commander 1911 most of the time but wanted a little more capacity. I tried carrying a Walther PPK/S and that was too heavy for the amount of ammo carried and it being a .380, which isn't a bad round at all, so don't get me wrong, but 7 rounds made me feel at a disadvantage. For me it came down to the weight, rounds, size. Being in Law Enforcement for so many years makes me want to carry three magazines and carry the largest firearm I can carry. Of course that works while on duty not off.

After going through several pistols and makers I came to the conclusion to carry a Glock 19 Gen 5. I have only one criticism of the Glock Gen 5 and that's the cut out in front of the magazine well. I find it annoying when I first shot it and of course found Pierce made a solution for the issue already so I ordered three base plates that fill that space.t
The removal of the finger grooves on the Gen 5 makes my hand fit again. I would have loved to find a Gen 2 19 but couldn't find one. I'm grateful I didn't because the Gen 5 is superior in every way.

Sorry if I rambled too long but I believe the Glock Gen 5 is a perfect carry gun and that comes from a die hard 1911 man.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Glock 19 Gen 5 FS Model forgoes the obnoxious half moon cutout at the front.

I will agree, the Glock 19 is the best all around carry option out there for most people. I myself prefer the Model 45. It's the perfect on duty/off duty balance for me.
The Glock 45 was suggested to me as well. The pierce base plate solved that for me. The Glock 45 is a very nice weapon.

I don't like front slide serrations so that was a deciding factor for me. I don't press check my guns, I know they're loaded.....lol

Reactions: PennsWoods

·
Registered
7,711 Posts
Very nice. I recently picked up a Gen 5 MOS. Without the grooves and cutout it fits my bigger hands much better and conceals better than my 19x.

It certainly is slated to be my most of the time CCW once I shoot it some more.

I'd had a number of 19s and 23s in the past and the no grooves no cutout is certainly an upgrade

Reactions: neorebel

·
Registered
322 Posts
nice! i love my glock 19.5. I agree the only real negative is the grip cutout. i'm looking into different magwells to hopefully fix that problem. otherwise it's about as close to perfect as you can get. I also prefer no front serrations. i'm probably one of the few who thinks it looks better without them and I do not press check so they are useless to me.

·
Registered
126,002 Posts
I don't get a chance to spend too much time talking to you all, but rest assured I enjoy the conversations. This last month I retired from the Sheriff's Office here and decided to try to find the perfect carry weapon. That has been an eye opening adventure.

I carry a commander 1911 most of the time but wanted a little more capacity. I tried carrying a Walther PPK/S and that was too heavy for the amount of ammo carried and it being a .380, which isn't a bad round at all, so don't get me wrong, but 7 rounds made me feel at a disadvantage. For me it came down to the weight, rounds, size. Being in Law Enforcement for so many years makes me want to carry three magazines and carry the largest firearm I can carry. Of course that works while on duty not off.

After going through several pistols and makers I came to the conclusion to carry a Glock 19 Gen 5. I have only one criticism of the Glock Gen 5 and that's the cut out in front of the magazine well. I find it annoying when I first shot it and of course found Pierce made a solution for the issue already so I ordered three base plates that fill that space.t
The removal of the finger grooves on the Gen 5 makes my hand fit again. I would have loved to find a Gen 2 19 but couldn't find one. I'm grateful I didn't because the Gen 5 is superior in every way.

Sorry if I rambled too long but I believe the Glock Gen 5 is a perfect carry gun and that comes from a die hard 1911 man.
The G19 is great overall pistol.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
"Perfect carry gun" is, ah em, relative around here. I CCWd a G19 for 7 years. Went to a single stack about 5 years back and will never look back. When my defcon level goes up I still have my comptac minotaur for G19 but it will never, ever earn the E in "every day carry" for me. It's just too big and unnecessary.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
"Perfect carry gun" is, ah em, relative around here. I CCWd a G19 for 7 years. Went to a single stack about 5 years back and will never look back. When my defcon level goes up I still have my comptac minotaur for G19 but it will never, ever earn the E in "every day carry" for me. It's just too big and unnecessary.
I don't think there is a perfect carry gun myself. There is always give and take. I am in no way implying that this is THE carry gun of carry guns for everyone. I have tried just about every carry option you can try and this is what I have found to meet all of the criteria "I" found worked best for me. I have always been impressed by the quality of Glocks and they all go bang when I pull the trigger. It is a good design and I love the new trigger, barrel and carry cuts in the front of the slide for a more comfortable carry and holstering. It is a well proven design that has stood the test of time, much like the 1911 has, just look at all of the after market stuff you can buy on line. Also, both the 1911 and the Glock can be found in just about any gun store you walk into which is a testimony itself for the popularity of the two. When I think of iconic pistols that have had a profound influence on our lives, the 1911 and Glock are king.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I am required to carry in areas where the weapon must be completely concealed and able to respond to security threats quickly. I have found that the 19 and the 19x are sized perfectly for this. Sure they could be smaller, but they strike a perfect balance of capacity and conceal ability. I find the gen 5 19 best for summer days but always carry a pair of 19 round mags from the 19x.

Sent from my iPad using Glock Talk mobile app

·
Registered
750 Posts
I retired from the Sheriff's Office...I believe the Glock Gen 5 is a perfect carry gun and that comes from a die hard 1911 man.
Thank you for your service to the community & I believe you made a good decision to select the 19.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have a Gen5 19 with the pearce base plates and love it
Thanks for the reply. I think it should solve this small issue. The cut out is fine. The FBI required it I believe and I understand their thoughts, but it just irritates my pinky.

·
Registered
7,711 Posts
I go the other way, I tried the single stacks and they are just too thin for my hands to shoot as well as I would like, apart from a 1911.

So the 19 size conceals very good for me and shoots well also.

Reactions: neorebel

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Get the gen. 4 and don't look back.
No thanks the finger grooves have kept me from buying them in the model 19 and 23. The removal of the finger grooves make it a perfect fit for my large hands.

·
NRA Life Benefactor, GOA Life.
218 Posts
Think for the future. Get a G19.5 MOS. I’m finding that as I’m getting older my eye sight is starting to blur the front and rear sight together and I’m shooting slower. A RMR on my 19 has got my speed back to where it was with the bonus of being able to hit the 100 yard steel faster than with irons.

Plus the MOS never had the cut out.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts