Glock 19 Gen 5 vs Glock 19x

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Made-up System, Mar 9, 2018.

1. DonInMarietta

DonInMarietta

I wasn’t impressed with the 19X, but I’m no fan of the 19. The 17 is my baby. All 7 of my Glocks have McNally triggers. They are flat-faced and allow for a shorter reset. With Lone Wolf springs, bringing the pull down to 3 1/2 pounds, I’m happy. BTW, I prefer my 23C to my 19 gen 3.

2. Sherlock Glock

Sherlock Glock Lifetime Member

For people with wide hands, the NOTCH on any Glock frame is painful. I have trained 100's of people defensive shooting with a Glock. I see VERY OFTEN people hit the mag release button and wonder why the mag is still in the Glock, OR people pull on the mag BEFORE PRESSING THE BUTTON.
    The mag release button MUST be Press Hard and remain pressed until the mag comes out of the gun. In the 200,000 rounds I have shot in Glocks, I have never had to RIP the mag out.
    Due to bad weather and time, I have only fired my 19X about 700 rounds. I love it ! The night sights or great, BUT I replaced them with HiViz fiber optic front sights and the steel OEM rear sight. Yes I can tell a difference in the factory trigger pull on the 19X.

3. nicalex

nicalex NRA MEMBER

I have both 19X and G19 gen 5. The 19x was substantially smoother and has a shorter travel than the 19 gen 5. However when I put a "Skimmer" in the Gen 5 they were pretty much even as far as smoothness and travel.

4. nicalex

nicalex NRA MEMBER

Both my G19 Gen 5 and 19X are outstanding guns. I've put 500 plus rounds through both and they are quality. My favorite carry gun is without a doubt the 19X

jr24 likes this.
  5. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

:rofl:

Sorry...assumed you are joking.

QNman, MikeG36 and Mike-M like this.
  6. HappyG

HappyG

No not really, it's physics. Lol

Macc283 likes this.
  7. Ranger357

Ranger357 Just pixels

IMG.JPG IMG_0588.JPG

Please note 5 pull averages are taken from the BOTTOM of the trigger. That method is just more consistent in getting measurements for me, and works for comparing two Glocks or when working on the same pistol to see results of internal changes. If tested more in the center, they both come in about 10 oz heavier. I was actually a tiny bit surprised at test, because I wold have assumed my G19X trigger was lighter between the two (my trigger finger is apparently not educated to 2 oz. differences).

Variance pistol to pistol is likely far more a factor than spring cups.

8. SW CQB 45

SW CQB 45

I inspect guns for personal carry off duty. We have been a Glock agency since 1992. A few days ago, I inspected the first Gen 5 that has come across my hands...a G19. The trigger press for a factory Glock was the best (I am going to say ever) that I have put my hands on. I was impressed.

I may be late to the game...but when inspecting this Gen 5, I noticed no hump on the trigger bar extension (or Gen 3 style trigger bar). I have very large hands (long fingers) and I felt the edge of the cutout of the magwell. While it did not bother me when dry firing/gripping, I would still have taken a jewelers file and rolled that sharp edge.

I have yet to see or hold a G19X. I prefer the 19, and a 17 frame on a 19 might be the ticket for me, but I will wait for black.

Me holding a G19.4

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
  9. RKLOMP

RKLOMP

I find no difference between the Gen 5's, 19M's, or 19X, But do find all these to be better than the Gen 4's or earlier models, I prefer my 19.5 and 17.5, they have everything I need including steel night sights which they came with, if I was wanting an OWB open carry gun I would maybe choose the 19X, for the more rounds, but probably not, just me. My Gen 5's seem to me to have crisper triggers over the 19X, the 19M is more in line with the Gen 5's for having a nice crisp trigger, IMHO..

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  10. Lawdog3

Lawdog3 " Fast is fine but, accuracy is everything"

I have both the 19X and 19.5 th 19X shoots better in my opinion. For me it’s because of the grip size and no mag cut out. Triggers feel the same to me. Hear is the truth. I love shooting the 19x but it’s not a viable CC due to its size. The extra size in grip makes a difference. The 19.5 carries better but I dislike the mag cut out. Honestly I like carrying my 19.3. I wish now I had not gotten the 19.5 and waited to see what the next gen had to offer. 19X is awesome but be sure you understand it’s limitations. No finger groves are a plus in both the 19X and 19.5. Some people can carry a larger Glock such as a G17. The 19X just doesn’t work as a CC option for me. It’s a really nice shooting Glock an I see it as as a duty weapon. I would have loved to carry that on duty over my 17. But those are just My experiences with both. You may be totally different for you.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
  11. catman55

catman55

I had some polishing done on my gen 3 and added a ghost trigger which helped. The 19x has a very smooth movement and then a crisp break. I have a gen 3 17 and a 43 which have a completely different trigger feel. IMO the 19x out of the box is huge improvement

12. spatin

spatin

So many Glocks, so little time.

Lawdog3 likes this.
  13. Lawdog3

Lawdog3 " Fast is fine but, accuracy is everything"

Spatin

You said it! It’s so easy to get caught up in the frenzy of new guns. In reality my first gen3 g19 is probability my favorite. I wish I could collect them all.

14. DKC

DKC

I
    I have not handled the 19x, so really can't speak to that. My LGS had a new 19G5 in stock when I went in to pick up my S & W Shield last week. I asked to see it., as it was the first G5 that I had seen. It had the best, most crisp trigger that I have ever felt on any Glock. And I hate stock Glock triggers.

15. B00ger

B00ger NRA Life Member

I have both, gave both the 25 cent trigger job and can't tell any difference.

16. GlockerBill

GlockerBill

Cant comment on the trigger, but I did this to my Gen 4. The grip gives you better control and is more pleasant to shoot. However, I still prefer the smaller 19 grip for overall use. FullSizeRender.jpg

powernoodle likes this.
  17. B00ger

B00ger NRA Life Member

I am replacing all my gen 4 trigger bars with gen 3, without the bump. The bump rubs the slide, that's where a lot of the roughness comes from.

18. Ranger357

Ranger357 Just pixels

Might want to go over to YouTube and watch "Johnny Glocks" glock trigger videos. He makes custom triggers for a living and has a very different opinion. He has explained in detail why he often actually uses Gen 4 trigger bars in a few videos.

19. JBP55

JBP55

You must own those single action pistols with an external thumb safety that need constant maintenance.

jr24 and Melissa5 like this.
  20. R*E

R*E

You mean a 1911? Yes but I’m not sure what you mean by all that maintenance since mine seems to run fine with the occasion cleaning every few hundred rounds.

I learned to shoot handguns with a revolver, shot it double action heavy trigger and all. It’s really not hard. I also have several Glocks including a couple of G19s. Glocks triggers are fine for what they are, much lighter and shorter than a wheelie.

SwampThing likes this.