Glock 19 gen 5 or mos

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by ethanhunter34, Jun 11, 2020.

1. ethanhunter34

ethanhunter34

My local blue label dealer right now just has the G19 gen5 with Ameriglo $530 and Stock sights. $445. I wasn’t going to add any red dot for now maybe later when I’m ready...Its probably more cost effective to go with the mos rather then have a optic cut but I was thinking of cerakote slide with optic cut down the road. This will be my first pistol so wanted some advice if It’s better to wait for the mos.

2. mmcbeat

mmcbeat

I bought a 19.5 MOS blue label a year ago and really like the gun. It’s what I carry in the cooler months. I haven’t used the MOS option, but it’s nice to know it’s there.

Gfive45 likes this.

3. ProjectCamaro

ProjectCamaro

If you plan on putting on an optic then I'd say go for it. I just purchased a normal Gen5 19 last week but decided against the MOS.

I figured when I want to throw an optic on one I'll use that as an excuse to buy a new gun but not everyone is as wasteful as I am when it comes to buying guns.

dbuck47 likes this.
  4. ethanhunter34

ethanhunter34

Thanks .. They also had a G34 gen 5 mos for $592. I know it’s like a 17 but the barrel is longer. This pistol will be for home defense so the G34 mos might be good as well. What do you guys think of the 34 over the 19?

IAhunter likes this.
  5. OdinIII

OdinIII

19 or 48 for carry. 17 or 34 for range/competition.

dbuck47 likes this.
  6. ethanhunter34

ethanhunter34

We can’t carry in our state..wish we could

7. ethanhunter34

ethanhunter34

Be for range and home defense

8. Buckshot Barry

Buckshot Barry

The only negative I have in a MOS without red dot mounted is the limited number of open sights that don’t overhang the slide.

I’m rather fond of TruGlo TFX sights and they are a no go on an MOS due to dovetail placement.

9. OdinIII

OdinIII

I’d go 17 or 34 unless your hand size needs the slightly smaller 19. It really boils down to what you want. I like the look of the long slides but have to slightly shift my grip to get to the mag release reliably on the full sized Gen 5’s. This isn’t a big deal and I happily compete with a couple 34’s. I wouldn’t hesitate to get the 17 if it speaks to you more than the 34.

You are in a good position, you can’t mess up with any choice. I am a big dot fan but my middle aged eyes have helped me with that decision. YMMV.

10. bitcoin

bitcoin

I would suggest if possible you rent/borrow a friends glock with an RMR and see if you like it. I personally hate them and shoot Glocks with the Ameriglo Bold sights best. My gen 5 17 with Ameriglo's is unbeatable.

I would get the "FS" version (no cutout, breach face cut, ejector improvement) if you do go non-mos.

if you think there is a > 20% chance you will be using a RDS, may as well just get a MOS then.

11. shupe13

shupe13

I have a Gen 5 17 MOS with an optic and love it.

Sent from my REVVLPLUS C3701A using Tapatalk

12. IAhunter

IAhunter Venor ergo sum

Just north of the wall, Cochise County, Arizona
    I like them both. I bought a G19.5 MOS and am waiting on a G34.5 MOS that I ordered via a GSSF match cert. I am not using an optic at this point, but I may want to down the road.

13. MCCM

MCCM

I don't own a MOS but I hear the MOS cut is only for RMR's? What if you were going with a VORTEX? Would it matter or am I way off?

14. OdinIII

OdinIII

The Glock MOS system comes with 4 plates for almost all of the popular optics including the ones from Vortex.

MCCM and Buckshot Barry like this.
  15. Gfive45

Gfive45

Trijicon HD with MOS fit rear for Glock.
    Screenshot_2020-06-12-12-22-39-1.png

Buckshot Barry likes this.
  16. Aggie58

Aggie58

I think it's really a matter of choice and what works best for you when it comes to the red dots. I have a G19 with a slide cut, Hellcat with MOS, and several .22 pistols with rails. I have two red dots and rarely use them, just prefer the open sights. I'm 84 and still shoot with open sights at a 25 yd. outdoor pistol range. If my eyesight worsen, I may need to go to the red dot.

17. MurrayNevada

MurrayNevada USMC (MOS 0369) (RVN 69-70)

I went to purchase a G19 Gen 5 at my LGS. They happened to have a Gen 5 MOS Blue Label in stock and I bought it. Topped it with a Leupold DeltaPoint and like it. The Leupold DeltaPoint has a larger window that allows my old eyes to pick up the red dot more quickly.