Glock 19 Gen 5 issue

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by CZ Glock, Oct 30, 2020.

1. CZ Glock

CZ Glock

Glock 19 Gen 5. Has had about 4000 rounds through it. All original parts, no mods. This is the "early" version of Glock 19 Gen 5.

Using Mag Tech ammo. Notice super weak ejection pattern. I could literally see the the casings were ejecting barely out of the ejection port. I mean the casings are ejecting about an inch above it. One actually landed back into the chamber,as the slide locked back on the last round.

Thoughts?

2. FireMedic-50

FireMedic-50 Silver Member

Have you ever taken it all apart?

Clean pistol thoroughly. Everything.

Break it all down. Pay attention to extractor claw.

LUBE it to Glock specs, not yours

3. reniram

reniram

Not happening with any other ammo? 4000 rounds is a lot for this to still be occurring. I've had weak ejection patterns with many new Glocks that got better as the recoil spring loosened up.

OTH all my Makarov pistols throw brass 30 feet.

4. ActanonVerba70

ActanonVerba70

From Glock Armorer's Manual:

Observed Problem: Failure to eject or erratic ejection

Probable causes:
    • underpowered ammunition
    • shooting with unlocked wrist
    • lack of lubrication
    • dirty gun
    • dirty chamber
    • broken or damaged ejector

L-2 likes this.
  5. CZ Glock

CZ Glock

I was thinking about it being caused by weak ammo. I wanted to check if there was a ejector update that I did not know about.

6. FireMedic-50

OP
    we are trying to help

give us some history of pistol and maintenance. Your first Glock? New or used? Ever clean firing pin channel?

Lot's of possibilities and should be easy fix.

I say it's dirty and needs cleaned and lubed, another member says weak ammo. It could be either.

Help us so we can help you. INFORMATION required. Pictures wouldn't hurt

7. Paul73

Paul73

if gun was always fine after first 1k rounds with light 115gr ammo - there is no reason to suspect the gun, presuming the barrel and the slide are oiled where it supposed to be and you do not feel any difference of how it cycles.

as others told you - take it all apart and inspect for a grime build-up everywhere. clean it.

if it still not cycling well now with the ammo you got - you can set it on a weaker spring - i just did it to my G34 - a jager rod and a 15# wolff spring.

CZ Glock likes this.
  8. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

Which weight bullet for MagTech?. They show the 115 at 1,135 fps out of a 4" barrel and the 124 at 1,100 fps, which is basically Minor floor. That should eject just fine. What does your grip look like?

9. FireMedic-50

You won't need to change any springs at this point.

SARDG likes this.
  10. Nagoya10

Nagoya10

As an aside, the early Gen5's did not have the breech face cutout to aid ejection like later Gen5's did. I would also be inclined to believe the ammo is the problem here.

lilPerut and Gfive45 like this.
  11. CZ Glock

CZ Glock

Alright fellas.. I read the above posts..and said... Could it be so?
    Well.. just got done taking it apart.

I am embarrassed here to say that it was a dirty extractor.

At first I was ready to dismiss the above comment of a dirty gun. After all, I clean it after every range session.

But I just realized that I haven't fully disassembled the slide in the cleaning process. (It's a Glock after all. I kept putting it off ...for a later time when I'll do deep cleaning.)

Between cleaning my other more maintenance needing guns... I let the trusty G19 slip through the cracks of my deep cleaning schedule.

Well...folks.. it was filthy. Lesson learned.

SARDG, fastbolt and FireMedic-50 like this.
  12. FireMedic-50

Easy fix, nice

The firing pin channel comes with oil from Glock. It's not supposed to be wet in there.

Never seen it recommended, I gently slide extractor across very fine sand paper, both sides, different directions.
    No pressure other than it's own weight.
    Also a tiny amount of grease can help.
    Don't forget pistol area where extractor rides, brass brush light pressure

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
  13. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

CZ, 4,000 rounds is hardly enough to gunk up an extractor. Usually when ejection changes drastically that's a cracked/chipped extractor, normally caused by loading a round in the barrel instead of from the magazine.

ActanonVerba70 likes this.
  14. CZ Glock

CZ Glock

I did not see any chipping on the extractor.

Will take it out to the range again and see if the cleaning did the trick. If not.. I'll let you guys know.

Thanks for all the replies.

MAGA!!!!

15. fastbolt

fastbolt

You may have felt the extractor was heavily enough fouled to be responsible for your observed weak ejection ... but ...

It's also just as likely that you may have experienced a change in the nexus of influences, where a change in one of them - the use of weak powered ammo - might've tipped the ejection patterns toward the short/close end.

If any one (or more) of these factors changes enough, then others that may be at the "merely adequate" end of things might allow for a functioning issue to be observed, but it may be misdiagnosed without carefully considering everything together.

Dirty gun (extractor recess and hook)
    Grip technique (stabilization or softening of wrist support)
    Weak-powered ammo
    Shooting environment (temp/other factors that affect the shooter)
    Shooter fatigue

Yes, Glock has changed the ejector and breech face machining for reasons they consider appropriate (or because they've been asked by a large enough LE/Gov customer). However ...

... Considering the amount of time/use you've already experienced with your gun, the simplest "answer" might be to look for the factors that can subtly change without you being aware of it ... like shooter fatigue and/or grip technique, attention to pistol maintenance and ammo that runs to the lower end of the power range (which has to function the RSA and slide run, after all).

If it were me, and I had to use that ammo (for whatever reason), I'd clean the gun and then try it again, making sure I was feeling normally rested and exerting a sufficiently proper/firm grip technique.

If I had other ammo to use, I'd clean the gun and try the other ammo under the same range conditions, and see if I noticed a difference in the ejection. ;)

If the "problem" only occurred when using that original ammo (or, at least that production lot of that ammo), and I could use other ammo ... I'd use other ammo.

It's a pretty common thing among armorer classes, regardless of the gun company giving the classes, to see a trouble-shooting recommendation of trying other ammo, to see if the ammo was the actual cause of the observed problem. It's not unknown for the ammo companies to sometimes have a production lot(s) slip by their QC protocols with an unrecognized issue that might affect normal functioning, too. If that's the case, then trying the same ammo from a different production lot/case might resolve the "problem".

FWIW, I can remember learning of some 147gr JHP duty ammo being received by an occasional LE agency that, when tested, didn't meet the stated velocity specifications. Imagine how a load that's nominally rated at 990fps, but only produces low 700's when chrono'd, might introduce the potential for some functioning issues. o_O

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
    Paconero, pgg00, JBL13 and 2 others like this.
  16. CZ Glock

CZ Glock

Good advice Fastboot! I will look at those factors you mentioned on my next range trip.

Today, I was shot my G19 after shooting 100 rounds of .45 cal.
    Maybe fatigue was a factor. ( I hate to think that I'm that old and feeble.)

Next range session, will start of with G19 first and try using plus hotter ammo.

fastbolt likes this.
  17. Leano

Leano

Blue box 115 gr FMJ Magtech? I bought 500 rounds of that from SG Ammo a few months ago.

Very low powered, quite erratic ejection in my stock G19 Gen4 FS.

bottom line - it’s the ammo

Buckshot Barry and fastbolt like this.
  18. fastbolt

fastbolt

I discovered that factor even as a much younger Magnum revolver shooter. I usually thought that shooting 200-500+ heavy handloads was pleasant way to start my shooting sessions.

However, I eventually figured out that if I started with the hot .44's, by the time I went to the .357's, .38's or my .45ACP pistol, I might develop "Magnum Thumb". That's a twitch due to the base of thumb base/palm of the hand getting tired of absorbing the recoil. I eventually learned to start with the lighter recoiling calibers & guns, and then I was still relatively fresh and fatigued by the time I got to the .44's or .45Colts (Ruger Blackhawk, and mild to wild Ruger-Only handloads of that period).

Over the years of taking several guns to the range, where I worked as a LE firearms trainer and armorer, I always started with the lightest recoiling calibers/guns, working my way up to the heavier recoiling ones.

Admittedly, coming from a Magnum revolver and 1911 background, even "harder recoiling" pistol calibers like .40S&W only push the needle a little bit beyond the 9mm relatively, speaking (my duty ammo has included standard pressure, +P & +P+, of which I've fired a LOT, since it was the dime of someone else ;) ). It can often be different for folks who have ever only shot 9mm, and then going to .40/.357SIG. (Or even the .45ACP, but while harder recoiling than 9, it can be a softer, longer dwell-time "push" against the hand/wrist, and not an abrupt snap/whip. Perception varies among shooters, though, which is why we have the term "felt recoil".)

Older 1911 shooters often find that they can benefit going to 9mm from .45ACP, due to the cumulative effects of repetitive stress injury conditions in their elbows and wrists. Ditto the older Magnum revolver shooters going to .38SPL.

I didn't mention it above, but my various J-frames, most of which are aluminum or Scandium aluminum-framed, tend to fall on the "harder recoiling" end of things. Especially since I like to use +P loads for range work drills and quals in the snubs rated for +P, saving the standard pressure loads for a cherished 37-2DAO, built on the older short (cylinder frame window) Airweight frame.

The reason I consider the lightweight snubs to be harder recoiling is two-fold. First, the heavier +P loads tend to punish the palm and web of my hand. Secondly, the upward whip of the guns under the brisker recoil impulses cause the distal knuckle of my trigger finger to get hammered by the abruptly rising trigger guard, and that can start to sting faster than the palm gets tired of being hammered.

Now, factor in the inevitable wear & tear of normal aging (including the bills that may be coming due because of previous injuries) ... and how fresh or rested you may feel for the particular range session ... and things can seem to vary from one day or night session to another. ;)

CZ Glock likes this.
  19. CZ Glock

CZ Glock

FYI... My Glock 19 Gen 5 is an early model. It has no front serrations and no cut out in the breach face. Doing some googling and some say this can be a factor.

I'll try some plus p defensive ammo in my next range session to rule out weak ammo issue. Will also start next range session with Glock 19 first...to rule out user fatigue.

By the way, I have been shooting Glocks for about 15 years and in many calibers so I'm not new to this platform.

20. fastbolt

fastbolt

Sounding more like a possible ammo issue, and perhaps muddled with some shooter fatigue?