close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock 19 Gen 4 problem solved

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by bill1725, Apr 8, 2012.

Tags:
  1. bill1725

bill1725

I bought a new Glock 19 Gen 4 a couple weeks ago and it jammed 4 times on the first two clips. I called Glock and was told that I have the correct spring, so I did a lot of internet searching to see if anyone had the same problem. Ran across one video where they suggested cleaning out the copper grease on the slide. The theory is the grease is so thick that it prevents the slide from going all of the way back and it then does not allow the next round to feed into the barrel before the slide comes forward. I removed the copper grease, lubed it with a coating of oil and took it to the firing range. Fired 150 rounds without a single problem, No more ejection problems and no more jamming problems.

2. Prryan45

Prryan45

Good job,hope it is good to go.

3. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

Hope it's good to go now.

4. jsimion1986

jsimion1986

Had this same problem with my G22 gen4. Same fix and it works just fine. It came directly from Glock and was packed with the copper grease. I dislike that stuff lol

Polishing..Barrels $15, Slides $30
    jsimion423@gmail.com for pics and questions.

5. MadCityJack

MadCityJack

Interesting. I had brass to the head but no jams with my G19 Gen 4 after hundred of rounds. I cleaned the slide of most of the grease before first time. I had the ejector swapped out for a newer one and that seemed to reduce the flying brass issue.

6. INEEDMILK

INEEDMILK

Magazines, not clips.

Glad to hear about your Gen4 19. I have over 2500 rounds through mine with no problems.

7. Pn2

Pn2

How did you remove that copper layer, I would like to do that too.

Since you siad that I remember that one time I lubed the slide a little more (2 drops) and the next trip to shooting range was better with weak ammo, last time I didn;t lube the slide and got mpre brass to head with weak ammo, maybe this is the fix for me too.

8. SubCaliber

SubCaliber

I might have to try this too. There seems like a lot of copper crap in there.

9. Beanie-Bean

Beanie-Bean

bill1725,

Good to see that all is working better for you now. Congrats on the new G19, and welcome to GT!

10. bill1725

bill1725

Wiped it out with a Q-tip dipped in solvent.

11. LongGoneDays

LongGoneDays Misanthropical

The copper goop is not lubrication, it is anti seize. When I bought a factory new g19 in 2006 the advice I got was "shoot it and then clean it".

Since then I've seen people say that the copper stuff has grit in it that can damage the plastic frame, to clean it out first. Can't verify that one.

But like I said, it is not lube, the stuff is designed for long term storage in case it sits on a shelf for years or someone puts it up for awhile after buying it.

Anti seize or something.

12. Wizz

Wizz

It is simply copper based anti-sieze lubricant...you can generally find the Permatex brand at most auto parts, but other companies make it as well. It provides lubricating properties since it's usually suspended in grease. Like mentioned my understanding is also that you shoot it in and then oil once first shooting session is completed. .02

13. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

Glock says to leave the copper in place.

It also says to lube prior to shooting.

but people would rather gripe than read the manual.

14. SubCaliber

SubCaliber

That's actually what I did. I've since removed it and I will try just a touch of oil without the copper stuff as suggested here and see how that goes.

It'll be a bit though. I burned through a couple hundred dollars in 9mm ammo this weekend and my financial dept. (aka wife) isn't going to allocate that much for ammo again any time soon. Any at all is going to have to wait until at least payday. ;)

15. bill1725

bill1725

I read the manual. I lubed it prior to shooting. The pistol jammed. I cleaned out the copper, lubed it again, and it did not jam. The pistol works better without the copper for me. It may work better with the copper for you. I'm just telling you what worked best for my pistol.

16. GLOCK17DB9

GLOCK17DB9

Shouldn't have been caused by the copper lube. Must have been first shot bad luck!