close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock 19 Gen 4 and Smyrna

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by TheWaker43, Jun 13, 2012.

Tags:
  1. TheWaker43

TheWaker43

Hi, first time poster here, as well as looking for first Glock. I have pretty much settled on a 19 as I have nothing yet in 9mm. For the past few weeks I have tried to learn all I can about them and all its issues. So far I have concluded:

"The issues have been resolved"
    "The issues persist"
    "The Gen 3 is proven, get that one"
    and
    "The new Gen 3's are just as bad as the Gen 4's"

So basically nothing.:embarassed: But I happen to live less than twenty miles from the Smyrna factory in Georgia and am often in the area. Would this sway your decision, the fact that should a problem arise you could drop your gun off at lunch and swing back by after work? Thanks a lot.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2012
  2. Bello

Bello America/Italia

I'd go gen 3 I like nothing about gen 4; and the tacky gen4 on the side is the worst

3. smitty704

smitty704

I recommend getting a gen 4 G19, which is exactly what I have. I was exactly where you are last August. I wanted a G19 but wasn't sure what gen to get. I ended up going with the gen 3 and starting having ejection issues within the first 100 rounds. I had erratic ejection and stovepipes with all types of ammo, cheap FMJ up to Gold dots.

I put over 1100 rounds total through the gen 3 and continued to have issues after it returned from Glock. I sent it back to Glock 3 times(on their dime) before they ended up replacing it with a gen 4 G19 with the new 30274 ejector, and current recoil spring. The gen 4 G19 has been FLAWLESS for almost 3000 rounds now, shooting all types of ammo, but mostly cheap 115g Federal FMJ ammo. No malfunctions of any kind. Consistent strong ejection to the right where it should go, not my face. :)

Get the gen 4. It's what I wish I did in the first place.

Good luck.

4. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Ezekiel 33:11

Over the years I have purchased three gen 3 glocks and have had absolutely no problems with any of them. And I mean no problems whatsoever. I made a trip to the Glock factory in Smyrna about two years ago and had my glocks updated while I waited. The service was excellent and there was no charge for anything. The glock tech and I even talked about ammo before I left.

5. SJ 40

SJ 40 Deplorable,Clinger

Welcome
    Well as long as you are that close to Momma I would get what you want,Gen 3 or Gen 4 and not worry. SJ 40

6. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

I prefer the shorter grip of the Gen4 G19.

7. smitty704

smitty704

Agreed. The gen 4 19 without added backstraps is awesome. That is the how I have my EDC gen 4 G19.

8. cfr

cfr

Absolutely, get the one you want.

9. bill1725

bill1725

Get the one that feels best to you. I have the G19 gen 4 with the medium backstrap. This works for me but may not for you.

10. Wizz

Wizz

If you do enough research you'll see that the Gen3 were also effected along with the Gen4 from 2010 until ~Nov 2011. Many people when they refer to prefering a Gen3 it is a pre 2010 Gen 3, before the extractor manufacturing process changed (along with some other changes). My buddies new Gen3 G17 came with the new band-aid 30274 ejector, so I would have confidence in buying either gen if it were recent production (test fired last two months). Otherwise look for a non-modified Gen2/3 made before 2010. Best of luck.

11. professorpinki

professorpinki Bumbling idjit

Just gotta wonder what the heck happened there in some engineer's head that they switched the ejector (or whatever caused the problem) and then sent the weapon out before fixing the problem...

Personally, I'd go with a Gen 4, simply because the ability to switch backstraps enables it to be used more efficiently by more people, meaning that it should hypothetically be easier to ditch if you have to.

12. Adamz04

Adamz04

get the gen 4 19. I have one. I have smaller hands and the grip without a backstrap on it is smaller than gen3 grips. I fits my small hands better. I think the rtf grip surface is amazing, it doesnt rub me to much at all.
    I get about 1 ejection back at me per mag and it doesnt bother me at all, in fact i kinda chuckle each time it happens. I think complaining about that is being to anal. The gun has run flawless and is awesome

13. TheWaker43

TheWaker43

Thanks for all the replies so far. It will be a few weeks before I actually purchase one so I will have a bit more time to decide and check out what in's some local shops. I ran a search on GalleryofGuns.com of my zip code and found this. http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/...-Automatic+Pistol&cal=9MM&fin=&sit=&pid=&inv= Anyone have experience? It shows 99+ available, while every other model shows 0 or maybe 1. Looks like a Gen 3 with night sights installed, something I was planning on doing anyway.

Also does Glock have price list of services, like sights install or what not? I searched the website but found nothing.

14. smitty704

smitty704

That's great and all, just make sure before you make the purchase that it has the new 30274 ejector installed. If so, you should, be good to go.

Good luck!

15. kodiakpb

kodiakpb

16. kodiakpb

kodiakpb

Gen 3's will come with a 336

17. TxGlock9

TxGlock9

I like the gen3 because I hate the look of the gun once I add the medium strap.

18. 1smoothredneck

1smoothredneck

All I can say is I LOVE my gen4 19. Other than leaving slide locked open for a week when new, I've done nothing to baby this piece, and it has performed flawlessly. Almost 700 rounds so far, with no problem whatsoever. And these were all light bullet loads, since I LIKE lighter loads, and since I also wanted to give the pistol every opportunity to malfunction(the lighter rounds are supposedly the culprit that gives gen4 glocks fits).
    Mine has an 04 RSA. I say buy with confidence.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2012
  19. larson1122

larson1122

http://us.glock.com/documents/GLOCK Warranty.pdf

On page 2 it shows the prices of the different night sight options they offer, as well as some of the other services available.

20. 8th ID

8th ID

I agree with others-Get the one that 'feels' BEST in YOUR hand.

I have 2 Gen4 G19's. Both have been flawless through a total of about 3000 rounds combined. I know that's not really a high round count. I carry/shoot IDPA with them. Both are stock, except the one I shoot in IDPA, I added a fiber optic front sight and blacked out the rear.

I can't guarantee that you'll get a 'perfect' pistol, but I will tell you that my 2 have been perfect.