Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, first post i was wondering someone mentioned in a post that there is a difference in the look of the slide or maybe the Finish on the slide of glock 19 gen 3 and gen 4 pistols. Anyone have a picture or could explain this to me.Thank you.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Metal
If you blow this up and look this is very helpful in seeing the different finishes Glock has used through the years. It seems that Gen ones and possibly Gen twos shared the original finish. I found this photo and kept it because it’s helpful but I don’t mean to imply that each gun has a different unique finish. Once you get in the GEN three and Gen four you’ve got some different options. These options do not equate with the generations. For example you can have a GEN three with the newer, not so good finish, a Gen three with the frying pan finish also. Same for GEN four. It is true though that all Gen fives share the NDLC ( I believe that stands for New Diamond Like Coating) finish . I personally own pistols to confirm this fact. I have five different coatings that I am firsthand aware of.

·
Banned
8,027 Posts
View attachment 376607 If you blow this up and look this is very helpful in seeing the different finishes Glock has used through the years. It seems that Gen ones and possibly Gen twos shared the original finish. I found this photo and kept it because it’s helpful but I don’t mean to imply that each gun has a different unique finish. Once you get in the GEN three and Gen four you’ve got some different options. These options do not equate with the generations. For example you can have a GEN three with the newer, not so good finish, a Gen three with the frying pan finish also. Same for GEN four. It is true though that all Gen fives share the NDLC ( I believe that stands for New Diamond Like Coating) finish . I personally own pistols to confirm this fact. I have five different coatings that I am firsthand aware of.
I'm 99% that photo was taken by GT member Butch. He's got a ton of knowledge and great pics.

Reactions: Valmet

·
Banned
6,833 Posts
Welcome to Glock Talk.

The important difference between the Gen4 G19 slide and pre-Gen4 G19 slides is the recoil spring assembly boss at the front of the slide.

Because the Gen4 G19 uses a captive dual-spring RSA, and the pre-Gen4 models use a captive single-spring RSA, the Gen4 slide RSA boss is wider and will NOT fit pre-Gen4 frames. A pre-Gen4 G19 slide will fit a Gen4 frame, but there will be wide space between the boss and the frame.

Anything else you see is purely cosmetic.

Reactions: GP4L and Dr_fast

·
Registered
594 Posts
Auto part Bumper Automotive exterior
Bumper Automotive exterior Auto part Electronic device

Another set of pics. From left to right - Gen 5 G19, Gen 4 G17, Gen 3 G19, Gen 3 G19 with the "frying pan" finish - this slide is nearly brand new. The other 3 are at least several thousand rounds old, but cleaned up.

·
M62/76
13,176 Posts
Yes, great (and helpful) photos. I’ve ccw’d a Gen3 19 since March 2012 and it is a Feb 2012 mfg gun (SPB-prefix) and it had the frying pan finish which I’ve been very happy with I wanted to pick up a current mfg RTF2 19 but haven’t as I detest the newer, easy-scratch finish.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts