Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Folks,

I purchased a Glock 19 gun 3 this past summer (2017) brand new from a local gunshop. I don't know the manufacture date, but I suspect this is a fairly recent production gun.

when I first got the gun, I replaced the standard sights with some Trijicon night sights and then started shooting it. It worked well, although I did experience a couple of malfunctions early on. However, after shooting around 1000 rounds or so, I started to experience the "brass to face" issue. I noticed that when I was shooting some 124 gr Winchester "NATO" ammo (the bulk 124gr ammo available at walmart), I started getting erratic ejection of the spent shells and getting hit in the head pretty regularly (often with the last round of the mag) by the spent brass.

At first I thought it might be due to the inconsistent quality of the Winchester ammo, but when I tried it with some Speer gold dot 124gr +P ammo, I got similar results. The last round of each mag often would eject straight back. Also, the ejection was inconsistent, with rounds sometimes just barely ejecting out of the gun. I was careful not to limp wrist the gun, and I still experienced occasional issues (although when I shot the gun with Fiocchi 124gr ammo, it seemed to work well and not have problems).

I did some research on the internet, and ordered some replacement parts. I first just replaced the stock 336 ejector with the newer style 30274 ejector. That helped a bit. I no longer got brass ejected straight back towards my head, but I still noticed erratic ejection and/or weak extraction. Some of the ejected shells just "dribbled" out of the gun or ejected with low velocity. Also, often the last round would eject erratically (sometimes ejecting to the left of the gun or straight up). I had one semi-malfunction where the brass case of the last round was sort of stove piped in the gun (but the slide had locked open).

I eventually also replaced the factory extractor with an Apex Tactical extractor and the factory spring loaded bearing (SBL, which I believe was the loaded chamber indicator or LCI style) with a non-LCI SBL. After switching to the Apex Tactical extractor the problem seemed to go away. The gun now seems to eject very consistently and I no longer notice any dribblers. The ejection velocity of the spent casing seems to be good and consistent.

Anyway, I just thought I'd share my experiences with this forum (where I found info to help me fix the problems with my gun). I was getting pretty frustrated with the gun and would have sold it if I couldn't resolve the weak extraction/erratic ejection issues. I also own a Sig P229 in 9mm and never experienced any brass to the face or erratic ejection with the Sig.

However, after replacing the factory parts, the gun so far seems to be running like a champ and I am pleased with its performance. I was originally a little skeptical about the Apex extractor, but it seems to work well and it fixed the problems with my gun. The gun now extracts and ejects consistently with a variety of ammo.

CynergyOU

·
Registered
776 Posts
I’ve had 2 glocks that btf. I sanded on one extractor and replaced the other’s ejector. Both seemed to help for a while but the problem soon returned.

I then tried new rsa, changing the spring loaded bearing, and installing new factory extractors. None of it helped at all.

I traded off the gen3 19 (circa 2006) and I still have the g4 19. Not only does the gen 4 19 btf but I get about a 1% stovepipe rate.

Gen4 17 and gen 3 26 I have run like a top.

·
Registered
6,625 Posts
You are not using CA ten round magazines? I use to have a problem on the last round from the magazine. But that went away after I am guessing the magazine was broken in. Also the BTF thing went away after about 400 rounds.

My 2 1/2 year old Glock 19 Gen 3 runs 100% and is the poster child of Glock Perfection.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I’d be interested in the manufacture date. I also got a new gen3 19 this summer and it ejects perfect, and better than my gen4 26 made a couple years ago. I was under the impression they got all that stuff worked out. Any chance you’d give the serial number prefix?

Edit to add that mine has the 336 ejector.

·
Registered
Gen 5 Glock 19 MOS FS
4,079 Posts
I just recently purchased one too. (Gen 3)
No malfunctions or brass to face. I had several bounce off the top of my noggin, but I chalked it up to fatigue in my grip near the end of my shooting day.

·
NRA Member
791 Posts
For me it has always been 9mm Glocks I have purchased new that have had the BTF problem. Knowing what I know now, before spending a lot of money purchasing replacement parts like an Apex extractor (and also spending a lot of money on ammo to test replacement parts), I send it to Glock to get it working right. If that does not fix it, I will sell the gun and buy a pre 2012 Gen 3 version of that gun and be done with the BTF problem. I got completely fed up with spending a lot of time and money diagnosing and attempting to fix BTF issues. Believe me when I say there is no course of action guaranteed to make the BTF completely go away.

·
Registered
Gen 5 Glock 19 MOS FS
4,079 Posts
Without having to start a new thread on the subject, what do most people consider "brass to face" exactly? Does it have to hit you literally in the face (eyebrow level down) or do some consider casings occasionally bouncing off the top of the head BTF too?
I ask because I've always had the occasional head bop from a few spent casings here and there from just about every Glock I've shot. None I can recall ever directly hit me in the face.

(Not trying to ask a loaded question. I am legitimately wondering)

·
NRA Member
791 Posts
I consider BTF to be any spent brass casing that hits me anywhere in the face or head area. It does not have to smack me in the nose or my shooting glasses to still be irritating.

·
State of Jefferson Resident
764 Posts
Without having to start a new thread on the subject, what do most people consider "brass to face" exactly? Does it have to hit you literally in the face (eyebrow level down) or do some consider casings occasionally bouncing off the top of the head BTF too?
I ask because I've always had the occasional head bop from a few spent casings here and there from just about every Glock I've shot. None I can recall ever directly hit me in the face.

(Not trying to ask a loaded question. I am legitimately wondering)
This^ occasionally I get a spent case landing on the brim of my hat, but have never taken one directly in the face. 99.5% of the time all of my glocks deposit the brass in a pretty predictable tidy little pile, about
6-8 feet to the rear right.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts