Glock 19 (gen 3) ejector issue

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by Chris2020, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Chris2020

Chris2020

Hi Glock Experts,

I'm hoping you can help me with a technical question. I have a new Glock 19 (gen 3). When assembling/disassembling, I'm finding that the ejector will run into the slide cover plate unless I move the slide to the right to get around the ejector. What's more concerning is the ejector also runs into the firing pin, which I can also get around by keeping the slide pushed to the right.

I'm not too concerned about the slide cover plate — it's annoying but I can live with it. However, I don't love the idea of the ejector scratching the firing pin (lug). I don't think this will cause an issue any time soon, but it's certainly not something I would want to happen for years — I'm sure it will eventually wear a groove into the firing pin lug.

Has anyone experienced this issue and found a solution? I'm keeping my eyes open for a replacement gen 3 trigger housing to see if my ejector is just bent more than it should be. I'm hopeful that's the issue, but I worry something else could be misaligned, such as one of the rails, etc.

Appreciate any and all guidance here. Thanks very much.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
  2. ActanonVerba70

ActanonVerba70

First - compare your ejector to the one in this photo:
    (your Glock 19 gen 3 ejector should have the # 336 on the side)

[​IMG]

I borrowed the photo from the following thread:
    https://www.glocktalk.com/threads/bent-piece.1699693/

Your description of the problem didn't quite make sense to me. Maybe I'm not exactly understanding the situation. Sure you reassembled properly?

After comparing your ejector to the one in the photo, the discussion can go from there.....

EDIT: compare the rails etc. also

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020

3. Chris2020

Chris2020

Thanks very much for the reply, ActanonVerba70.

The photo you included is exactly what I see — angled 336 ejector and all.

What I am finding is during reassembly (putting the slide back on the frame) is that the bent ejector will run into the slide back plate (not make it through the cutouts in the plate). I am able to get it through the cutouts by twisting the slide a bit. I'm not too concerned about that, since the slide does have some play. But what I'm also finding is the ejector will scrape the side of the firing pin lug unless I keep the slide pushed to the side during reassembly.

I wasn't sure if this behavior is to be expected with a 19 gen 3. My main concern is wear on the side of the firing pin lug over time and the potential for a safety issue.

I did get a chance to visit a local range today that rents Glock 19 gen 3s and look at a few. It seems like those models also required you to move the slide a bit to get past the slide cover plate and firing pin lug. I'm thinking this may be expected.

Hopefully this helps explain things better (sorry for the long post). Appreciate any other thoughts/guidance you have.

Best.

4. ActanonVerba70

ActanonVerba70

Routine question - you have the correct slide cover plate?

[​IMG]

Gen 3 on right. Not sure if it would matter (gen 4 or 5 on gen 3) - just checking. I haven't tried a "swap" to know for sure. ;)

FireMedic-50 likes this.
  5. Chris2020

Chris2020

Thanks for helping me troubleshoot this.

My plate matches the one on the right.

On your gen 3, when you re-assemble the slide, does the ejector catch the cover plate/firing pin lug at all (if you were not to put any side-to-side pressure)? Or does the ejector slide right through the cutout / past the firing pin lug?

I can't tell if I have a slightly over bent ejector, something else, or if I'm just overthinking normal gen 3 behavior.

Thanks again.

6. ActanonVerba70

ActanonVerba70

For example - with my Glock 19 gen 2 - I have no problems whatsoever with reassembling the slide on the frame.

However, I have seen plenty of Glocks where you have to maneuver the slide to get it past the ejector etc.

IMHO - the question is this: if you just have to "wiggle" the slide to reassemble, that's somewhat within normal SOP. If you have to "forcefully" push the slide to one side with sustained pressure to get past the ejector than something does not seem right. Also you should NOT be "scraping the side of the firing pin lug".

Suggestion: have a Glock armorer take a look. For peace of mind. :)

7. rpoL98

rpoL98

or you can replace the 336 ejector with one from a Gen 4 or Gen 5 9mm trigger housing. only problem is that you have to buy the whole trigger housing ($9) in order to get just the ejector, not sold separately. Folks usually replace the 336 ejector if they experience brass-to-head, or poor ejection. But I think the slide jiggle is part of the normal assembly routine.

for example, Gen 4 trigger housing #30275, includes 30274 ejector

8. Chris2020

Chris2020

Thanks, RPOL98 and ActanonVerba70. Really appreciate your time.

@ActanonVerba70 — I believe the gunsmith who looked at my Glock today is a Glock armorer. He wasn't concerned.

@ RPO98 — great suggestion. I've been trying to find a replacement Gen 3 trigger housing, but I'll probably order a Gen 4 to have on hand.

Can I ask one more big favor if you find yourself with a few spare moments? Would you mind checking to see how much clearance you have between the ejector and firing pin when reassembling? The way I do this is by looking up the grip while reassembling the slide (using a flashlight).

9. ActanonVerba70

ActanonVerba70

Ejector to lug image:

Ejector.jpg

Best I could do with my iphone camera looking up the grip.

There's not much space as the ejector passes by the lug. They do not touch. There are no rub marks on the side of the lug.

When you view this image on your pistol when moving the slide onto the frame, can you see the ejector touch the lug?

EDIT: this thread may be of interest (about different ejectors in a G19 gen 3):

https://www.glocktalk.com/a/glock-9...mparison-with-video-336-vs-30274-vs-47021.76/

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
  10. Chris2020

Chris2020

I can't thank you enough for your time on this.

Unfortunately, I am seeing the ejector touch the lug (though slightly). In your opinion, would you send back to Glock, change the ejector (to 336 or 30274) or not worry about it?

11. rpoL98

rpoL98

when the gun is assembled, the striker lug is behind the ejector. when the slide cycles, the striker lug is behind the ejector. The only time the striker lug passes by the ejector is at takedown, and reassembly, right? i.e., not during operation, firing.

if the gun shoots fine, ejects fine, then I wouldn't worry about it, unless you want to upgrade to newer generation parts.

voyager4520 and ActanonVerba70 like this.
  12. ActanonVerba70

ActanonVerba70

Absolutely correct. That's why in post #2 I said that I did not exactly understand the situation. I could see where this [the ejector rubbing the striker lug] may be somewhat bothersome at takedown and reassembly (maybe more so).

Here's a video showing the function of a Glock in the firing sequence:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1VD1D1hLsQ

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
  13. Chris2020

Chris2020

Thank you both for the help. Really appreciate it.

14. cciman

cciman Mr. Spock

Normal, sometimes depending on tolerances. Since you know, just wiggle it, don't slam it. If it really bothers you, take down the edge of the slide cover where it hits with a dremel-- just a tiny bit, or bevel it to guide the ejector past.

Chris2020 likes this.