close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock 19 gen 3 & 4 comparison range report (pics)

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Eagle1, Feb 10, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Eagle1

Eagle1 Oh glockaholic!

Well, I bought my gen4 19 yesterday and wanted to get out and try it out since it did come with the 03 spring in it. Today at the range it was a balmy 5 degrees so the range session only lasted an hour due to my shooting hand freezing up from a tendon injury 6 years ago (it does not bend well in the extreme cold).

Now on with the good stuff, I am an avid collector of the Glock 19 as I currently have 4 of them and have had numerous others in the past. This was due to thinking I needed another gun so I traded and then realizing that the 19 fit my paw the best, I would buy another one. This is one of those lessons to never sell anything that you remotely like!

[​IMG]

My gen4 19 is like all the others, I brought it home yesterday and cleaned it and the only thing I did was install the glock factory extended slide release. It took alittle bit of getting used to the little grippy things on the grip, but they seem to not bother me after shooting today so I think I like them, only time will tell. Of course my hand was numb so that may it too.:dunno:

[​IMG]

My gen 3 gun has had over 12,000 rounds through it and it has served me well since I bought it new in Sept 2001. This gun has been the best shooter so far and it has loosened up really nice over time. I did have the slide coated by CCR in their cera-plate and I love it, it looks awesome and shoots just as well for me. I have replaced the factory glock plastic sights with factory glock steel sights, extended slide release and extended mag release and that is all I have done.

Well, today I wanted to actually compare the 2 guns to really see if the newer gen 4 did actually have less felt recoil/muzzle flip as the older gen 3's. I can honestly say that YES, it does have less muzzle flip, the recoil seemed to be the same (maybe alittle different) but with this new dual captive spring, the gen4 felt really tight compared to my broken in gen3 gun. I did this by loading a full magazine in each gun them picking up the gun firing 3 rounds then firing 3 rounds out of the other gun. This was the only way to really tell that there was indeed a difference. The trigger on my gen3 is really broken in nice compared to the new gen4 gun and I think that was the difference in my groups on the targets below.

As you can see by the targets below the far left target was shot at 7 yards with the first 10 (5 rnds each symbol) rounds of Blazer 124 grn TMJ out of the ge4 gun. Groups are very nice and tight and I shot them without any bench resting, all free hand. The 2 full size targets I shot 10 rounds at each target (5 rnd of Federal & 5 rnds of Blazer out of each gun totalling 10 rounds) at 25 yards and I did rest my arm on the bench but shot the gun from just my two handed hold. I think that the gen4 group is bigger because of the heavier trigger pull on a new glock. But I do agree that I shoot alittle left with these guns like everyone else does but I really think that it is trigger issue not the gun because if I really concentrate on my teqnique, I can usually get them in there.

[​IMG]

Ammo that was tested today was Federal Champion 115 grn, CCI Blazer 124 TMJ and Speer Gold Dot 124+P. I had NO, I repeat NO malfunctions in the gen4 gun with the 03 spring. I hope you all enjoy this little write up and I also posted a pic of my 4 19's and my lovely AAC TiRant9! If I think of anything else, I will add it later.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 24, 2011
  2. skyboss_4evr

skyboss_4evr

3. Glock4President

Glock4President

Good to hear. I love my g19. Gen 3. I have never heard a single bad comment about the g19. At least the gen 3 at least. They rule. Everyone should own at least one.

4. slappy white

slappy white

Good report, do I notice your gen 4 slide being the black glossy finish or is it just my eyes?

5. gh0st614

gh0st614

do you prefer the medium backstrap of the gen 3 or are you using the gun with no backstraps?

6. Colemanator

Colemanator No Fate

Very nice write up, also a very nice collection you have. Please keep us informed as you get your G4 broken in.

7. Eagle1

Eagle1 Oh glockaholic!

nope, looks that way because I put a very light coat of oil on it. When it is dry, it almost looks coppery in color.

8. Eagle1

Eagle1 Oh glockaholic!

I am actually running with no back strap for now, I will see how I like it! There is a difference if you measure but just holding the gen4 and then the gen3, I cannot tell that much.

9. Eagle1

Eagle1 Oh glockaholic!

Now, if I could just find me an OD 19 and the RTF with fish gills, I would be set. I had a few gen2's but after the 3's came out I could never seem to like the older models because the finger grooves fit my hand soooo well.

10. AK47Man

AK47Man Expert Marksman

Is the trigger pull on Gen 4's heavier than on the previous generations?

11. Eagle1

Eagle1 Oh glockaholic!

No, they are still listed as 5lbs, but the springs are new and they just need to be "used"! I can really tell the difference though from my broken in one to the new one.

12. slappy white

slappy white

Mine has that same copper tinge to it also I have noticed. Almost reminds me of the ilfalon finish on those sig 2022's. Mine has the 3 spring and as been perfect through 1500 rds.

13. glockvit

glockvit Glock Sportsman

Nice pics and review, congrats on the new Gen 4.

14. papaac

papaac

I agree. I have 105 rounds through mine; that, plus a lot of dry fire, and I can feel the difference in the trigger.

15. Eagle1

Eagle1 Oh glockaholic!

regarding the trigger pull, on another thread in this forum, someone posted that because of the modified trigger housing, Glock had to change the connector angle on the gen4's. This may be the culprit reference the heavier trigger pull.

16. Benaiah

Benaiah

Great comparison! Thanks...

17. redbrd

redbrd

Good post and nice collection. I think you are spot on in regards to trigger pull as a culprit on the left pull to your groups. I have noticed this on glocks myself. At least for me the trigger safety creates a slight angle to the trigger squeeze causing the rounds to go slightly left for a right handed shooter. I have found one handed shooting sessions with a bit of concentration to the trigger squeeze cleans this. One solid session usually cleans me up for a bit.

18. hongster

hongster

I dry fired my Gen4 G19 a couple of hundred times a night for week and that cleaned up the trigger pull.

19. DEADEYEGUY

DEADEYEGUY

I also had the CCR Nickel finish pur on my G30. No it doesn't need it with the tennifer finish. But I love two tone guns and it really looks good.

20. Eagle1

Eagle1 Oh glockaholic!

I wanted to add that I shot 250 rounds out of the gen4 with no malfunctions. I am completely satisfied even if some of the nay sayers are critisizing this new gun. I like mine sooo much that I am buying another one, and they both will have the 03 spring in them.