close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock 19 for CCW

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by RyanSBHF, Oct 29, 2004.

Tags:
  1. RyanSBHF

RyanSBHF Senior Member

I'm very hopeful NE will get a Concealed carry law passed soon and I'm already looking for a weapon for tha purpose. After looking at subcompact Glocks, I've decided to go with something a little bigger (The 26/27/33 just didn't have enough gripping surface for me. I have large hands). I don't know anyone who has shot a G19 before so I'm looking for some opinions on it, good or bad. The main questions are:

1) How well does it conceal? I'm 6', 177 lbs
    2) Does it get heavy wearing it all day with 15+1?
    3) How reliable is it overall?

2. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford mmhmm

I found that it concealed just fine, but it all depends on how you dress. I'm 5'6 and 180lbs (the gut has got to go) I imagine if you're less large in the waist/gut area, there's more room to hide stuff.

I now carry a G23 which is the same size, but probably a little heavier, and I don't find the weight to be a problem.

My two G19's have never malfunctioned with any ammo, for any reason.

3. vafish

vafish

1. Very easily. Learn to dress around the gun, buy pants and shirts one size larger, wear dark colors and patterns to break up the outline of your gun if it does show through your clothes. I daily carry a G36, which is almost the same size as a G19.

2. Haven't tried it yet. On the couple of occasion I carried my wifes G19 it was before the ban lifted and I had 10 round magazines in it. I've worn it around the hosue with 17 rounders in it and that didn't feel too bad.

3. Extremely reliable. I have an Fxx Series G19 with the 2183 followers that are supposed to cause the last round jams. I've been loading the first round into the magazine (last one fired) as a JHP even when I'm using FMJ's for practice. Still have not had a single jam in 2 years of shooting.

4. Guy Powell

Guy Powell Guest

Can't say much about concealability as being law enforcement that's a problem I thankfully don't have to deal with much. As for carrying it around all day, no problem. While it's not the smallest pistol made it is light and very well balanced. I've carried mine "many a mile" in a Bagmaster or in a variety of holsters. As for reliability, I sould like a broken record. Over 11,000 rounds in 10 years with ZERO malfunctions of any kind. Even had to qualify once with department supplied sorry a%$ Zero brand reloads. The S/W autos, as well as the Colts and a SIG, were locking up left and right. The Glocks just kept on plugging.

5. J.P.

J.P. Intergalactic

Make no mistake about it,the G19 is *THE* concealed carry weapon.
    You won't find a lighter,reliable,more durable weapon.
    You will have to learn to "dress around the gun"
    At first,it is a hard fact to get used to but as you carry throughout the years,you realize that you can get away with more clothing choices.Usually either a shoulder rig with a tucked in button up or a tucked in T-shirt with unbuttoned overshirt is my casual wear.there are too many options to list.
    For EXTREME concealment I carry either a Seecamp or J-frame but those times are seldom,frankly.

Newer G19s have had reliability issues but (Big assumption) they have been worked out by not using 10-rd mags.
    My "E" series had problems,and now it does not.My two older G19s have never had a hiccup.One of them has at least 10,000 throught it.

6. SIX14LIFE

SIX14LIFE TACTICAL G19'S

I love the G19 so much I am HIGHLY considering buying another.;f

7. TWS G26

TWS G26

I'm 5' 10", 170 and the G19 carries very well here in Tennessee climates. This past summer I carried alot for the first time under a t-shirt using either a Sidearmor IWB or Bianchi S5 leather IWB. Or tucked in my pants, sans holster, no round chambered. Sweatshirt weather is my favorite time of year. Holsters are very much a personal choice; look at everything available before you settle on one or two.

Regarding weight, I can wear mine for several hours and forget it's there. When loaded with 15 or 16 147's I notice the weight a little more, but still not a big deal.

Reliability....mine is three years old, D series, with approx. 9,000 rounds.....all types of ammo, mostly hot +P or NATO spec. Have not broken or replaced anything. I've settled on 124gr +P and 147gr +P Gold Dots, no problems, even when it's dirty after a few hundred rounds. Only problems were periodically with the crappy 10 rd 1994-2004 10 round mags; hi-caps are problem free.

I've carried .40, .357 SIG, 10mm, and .45....all in Glocks....but keep coming back to the 9mm and G19.

8. Cool Hand Hodge

Cool Hand Hodge Senior Member

I have been carying mine everyday for about six months in a Galco summer comfort and its fairly easy. I have had no problems what so ever. Fully loaded, the guns weight is insignificant. The best advice i can give you is get a good belt! It makes all the difference in the world. I have two that i like. The first is a galco that ran me 80 bucks, and the second is a milt sparks that was a little more. I have no preference between the two, as perfection has be atained with both i think. I have a hair over 5000 rounds through mine, no jams what so ever evan with the 2183 folowers, but i switched all my mags to either 9mm1,9mm3, or 9mm4 folowers just to be safe. Get one, and enjoy, its truly the best firearm ive had the privilage of shooting

9. Bear_B

Bear_B

1. One of the great things about the Glock is the fact its large enuf to be a service sized weapon and small enuf to conceal under nearly any type of clothing. Its rounded kinda "ugly" shape actually helps you to cover it due to the fact it does print very badly.

2. Not at all... especially a guy your size. Besides keep in mind its supposed to be COMFORTING... not COMFORTABLE. I carry mine all day long with a 15 Round mag in a Ross Leather holster ($40 bucks most funshops) and it never gets too heavy.

3. Are you kidding? There is simply no more reliable pistol on the planet. GLocks reliability is legandary and the reputation is well deserved.