close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock 19 cleaning?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by glaze22, Jun 17, 2007.

Tags:
  1. glaze22

glaze22

Hello, I am new to Glock Talk and just bought a Glock 19 2 months ago. I love my glock and it works perfect! I was told to come here because there are some of the nicest and best informed people on this site. I do have another pistol, but I like to know exactly how to clean a postol/rifle from people who use it and not just go by the manual. I was wondering if anyone knows of a diagram or video (ie. youtube or anything like that), that shows the cleaning of each part that is broken down. I take guns very serious and like to know EXACTLY how to clean and maintain my weapon.

Thank you,
    Harper

2. Halliday

Halliday

I just got my 19 too. Put 100 rounds through it on Sat and wonder what I need to do to clean it and keep it working.

3. Devildog1975

Devildog1975

Bump

I need this info as well for 19.

4. mrclean099

mrclean099

I have owned a Glock 19 for about 4 years now. I've put thousands of rounds through it with no problems. I wish I could point out a good video reference for cleaning and maintaining Glock pistols. All Glocks are built essentially the same. There are different frames and different barrels but they all break down into the same basic parts. I am not a firearms expert but I can offer you a few tips.

- For the last 4 years every time I've cleaned my Glock 19 I've done essentially the same thing. I check to make sure its not loaded (duh). I remove the slide and the magazine. Then I remove the spring and barrel from the slide. This is as far as I've broken down my Glock since I've owned it.

- Get a brass bristle brush for cleaning the inside of the barrel. The nylon one that comes with the pistol doesn't last long and doesn't do that great of a job anyway. There are also barrel swabs that work well with cleaning the barrel. Appropriate sized patches are a must, too. That's basic for any firearm, though. Tooth brush type Nylon Brushes work good on the outside of the barrel and all other metal parts of the pistol that you don't want to rub the blue off of. Cotton swabs work great for cleaning out the tiny nooks and crannies as well as applying the right amount of gun oil. Patches work well for this purpose, too.

- Use Nitro Solvent to clean the metal parts of your Glock. A basic multi-surface cleaner like diluted Simple Green works great on the plastic parts. Don't use any of the spray on gun cleaning solvents. I had to have my barrel re-blued because I made the mistake of cleaning the outside of it with a brass bristle brush and Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber. I don't have anything against Gun Scrubber, but I think it contributed to the blueing problem. I've used Hopps No.9 Nitro Solvent and nylon brushes (for outside the barrel cleaning) since then and have not worn the blue off anymore than would normally be expected for a used firearm.

- Any good Gun Oil will suffice to lubricate the necessary parts of the pistol (I use Hopps No.9). The owner's manual does a decent job of showing where to lubricate. Once again, I would avoid the spray on types of gun lubricants just because they are so messy. Glocks don't need to be dripping with lubrication to work well. A little gun oil goes a long way.

Steps of how I clean my Glock 19:

1.) break down the pistol into its basic parts; slide, frame, magazine, spring, and barrel.

2.) apply Nitro Solvent to all metal parts of the pistol and let it soak in for about 20-30 minutes.

3.) use a nylon brush to clean the outside of the barrel and all the other metal parts of the pistol. Wipe off any residual Nitro Solent with a soft cloth or clean patch.

4.) clean the inside of the barrel with a brass bristled brush followed by a barrel swab. Then use patches to clean the inside of the barrel until they come out clean.

5.) clean the plastic parts of the pistol with diluted Simple Green and dry thoroughly.

6.) apply gun oil to the appropriate places on the frame, slide, and barrel.

7.) reassemble the pistol.

There are other ways to clean Glocks but I am not familiar them. You can break down the pistol further to get to the trigger mechanisms if you wanted to clean or repair them. The magazines can also be taken apart for cleaning, repair, or modification. There are many great books out there about Glocks. One book I would recommend is "Gun Digest Book of the Glock" by Patrick Sweeney. It has info on every model Glock pistol. It also gives the history behind Glocks and shows different things you can do with them.

I'm sorry that I can't give you more information than this. I hope you find it useful in some way.

-Matt C.-

5. glaze22

glaze22

Matt C., thank you for your info. It will be a big help. I am going to go look for that book. Once again Thank you.

6. Devildog1975

Devildog1975

Thank you! That was the kind of guide I was looking for. Very Helpful. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

7. Halliday

Halliday

Thanks. I now have a few more small bits to buy :)

8. GSD17

GSD17 Thread Killer

Call GLOCK 770-432-1202 and ask for an owners manual if you don't already have one. They explain how to clean the pistol in it.

9. Halliday

Halliday

I downloaded the pdf manual from somewhere. It helps a lot.

10. Two Eagle

Two Eagle

Are there any true plastic safe aerosols out there?
    Most of the labels read "safe for most plastics".

11. Blankwaffe

Blankwaffe

Yeap follow the directions in the owners manual.
    As far as a cleaner...use a bore solvent like Hoppe's No.9 in the bore and a CLP like Break Free CLP or Firepower FP-10 CLP on all the other parts.You should only use a tooth brush or cloth on all the parts surfaces.The bore use a nylon bore brush as needed.There should be no need to heavily scrub any part of the pistol.A simple brush and wipe should be all thats needed.If you have a few spots of fouling that is hard to remove,then soak them with CLP,then wipe clean.