Glock 19-C ??? Do any of you really like your?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by akapennypincher, Dec 19, 2012.

Tags:
  1. 24601

i used to carry a 22C on duty and I currently own two 32Cs... one of them is my ccw and has over 3k rounds through it... Ive owned eight glocks in all the common calibers and i love the C models the best ... faster follow up shots... I hardly notice any buildup on my front sights when I shoot... and if I lose 50-75 feet per second, BFD... that amount is acceptable to me as there is still plenty of power leftover in that little 357 round...

2. pirateracer

pirateracer

I have a 19C and asked some similar questions. The folks on the site were VERY helpful.

I have tried shooting in the dark and have found no noticable difference.
    The folks on the site said it was up to the user.
    They were right.
    My 19C is my standard carry.

I see some of the responses I got plus a few more which I enjoyed reviewing.

I also have recently acquired a 19 Gen 4. My wife likes shooting it and I like the 19C.
    NO issues and going to the range tomorrow.

3. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

All guns are loud....

And no the front site doesn't get dirtier sooner. Hell I've never even cleaned the the site on my 19C in almost three years or owning it!

C models rock, Nuff said!

4. dave27

dave27 Millennium Member

True. Not all guns are equally loud however.

Do you ever shoot it?!

Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
  5. Lior

Lior GUNS=FREEDOM

Have owned a G17 and a G19, and have just bought a G19C. Haven't taken it home or shot it yet. I usually carry a Glock before I shoot it (unlike any other gun brand). It remains to be seen how much chemistry I shall have with this gun, but I am optimistic. I like Glocks because of the aftermarket and logistics aspect as well as reliability and lightness, and I look forward to shooting the G19C stock and through a Roni carbine kit.

6. sharkbait22

sharkbait22

I own a G19c as my CCW and everybody has pretty much drove home all the points and debunked the BS internet myths about them. I just want to reenforce the fact that shooting from retention causes no problems. If you cant the gun at a 45 degree angle (which you are suppose to anyways to prevent the slide from getting caught in your clothing) the gases don't come anywhere near your face. Shooting from retention is also overly hyped on the internet as you will most likely be fighting the attacker away before you ever have a chance to draw your weapon.

7. LuckyG

LuckyG

The issue on a ported carry gun is not the flash. As others have mentioned, you just have to select (and test) the proper SD load. Most modern premium SD loads have very effective flash retardant powders.

The real issue is a close contact struggle where you may have no control over where the ports are pointed. Hot gasses and powder shooting into your eye(s) is not a happy prospect. Depending on the porting and load, use of the high ready (pectoral) position can also give you an unpleasant face full of same. If the port is directed at any of your body parts, the hot gas burn can cause a serious injury.

Obviously, this disadvantage can also be a plus. Same gasses directed at the bad guy's body parts then become an advantage for you.

My bottom line: If you are astute enough to be thinking about the direction of the ports in a life-death close contact struggle, you are a better man than me. I personally don't want to deal with another variable.

Having said this, I have to say that it is none of my business what other people choose to use to defend themselves with. You've got to figure out what works for you. Every choice has its' pros and cons.

8. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg

No downside from retention or in a struggle versus a non ported glock. From retention or fired across the body from close quarters, no noticeable difference. The concussion and heat from a c model muzzle/ports is notable, but not noticeably more so than a standard model in the situation you describe.

9. Korbenw7p3c

Korbenw7p3c

...and plumped down my hard earned cash for
    A new G17C!!! Gen. 3. Finally getting my grubby
    little hands on one. Been wanting one for sometime,
    But apparently not enough to order one. Walked into
    my LGS with the intentions of looking for a nice used
    S&W .38. No revolver had been traded in yet, so I
    find myself staring at the new Glocks. One thing lead
    to another........ Happy dance in full effect.

10. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

Not like I used to, do you own or have owned a C model?

11. Ryobi

Ryobi SummertimeRules

Great guns. Congrats.

12. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

:) OK, let me try this one. Especially since ALL of my Glock pistols have exactly the same extended and muzzle-ported Bar-Sto Precision barrels on them. Liked this:

[​IMG]

Here we go:

First, all powders do NOT, 'flash' the same. Some flash more, and many flash less. (Most high quality self-defense ammo barely flashes at all.)

Second, my muzzle ports are directly ahead of my front sight; and, know what? I never have a problem with, either muzzle flash, OR a dirty front sight. (I'm not talking about firing a few shots; I'm talking about firing THOUSANDS OF SHOTS!)

Third, muzzle flash, itself, is a very short term event and, usually, occurs while the muzzle and front sight, themselves, are moving through upward recoil. If you're, 'target focused' in the way that you should be you're, probably, not going to even notice whatever small amount of flash might be present.

Fourth, I've done a considerable amount of pistol shooting in dim light. One of the indoor ranges I use lights the targets, but not the shooting ports. You can see flash whenever it occurs; and, if muzzle flash were a real problem then I would have often heard about it; AND, other than an occasional comment about, 'a real flash' I never have. We, all, seem to just, 'shoot through it'.

(That famous advertising picture - VERY ill-advised, by the way - showing a slide-ported Glock belching a double, 'V' of flame is a gimmick. Black powder was used in order to produce that enormous flash.)

Could I go out today and produce photos of some spectacular appearing muzzle flashes? Sure I could; however, what the viewer wouldn't get a decent sense-of-appreciation for is, (1) the incredibly brief duration of the pistol flash, and (2) just how much these occasional flashes actually DO NOT disrupt either your front sight, 'picture' or, 'night vision'.

Normally, I have excellent night vision; I can, in fact, count on the fingers of one hand the number of times I remember, ever, losing it. Through thousands and thousands of rounds fired in dim light I have never lost my ability to watch a target; my so-called, 'night vision' has always stayed with me. Now, shine a tac light in my face and THAT will destroy my night vision! (But NOT usual semiautomatic muzzle flash.)

Fifth, with typical ammunition you ain't going to see enough muzzle flash; and you're not going to see it for a long enough period of time, or while you're actually, 'on the front sight', so to speak, for you to have anything to worry about. If you're watching your front sight correctly and shooting right, then, you shouldn't have any sort of, 'flash problem'.

(A Glock is NOT an M-4 with a, 'bird cage' flash hider/muzzle brake running on full auto - THAT will give you some muzzle flash!)

Here's a picture of one of my muzzle-ported barrels shown shortly after firing 100 rounds of filthy dirty WWB. As you can see the front sight is immaculate! In all fairness, though, this might not have happened if I'd been using a slide-ported pistol (OK).

[​IMG]

Now, with all this said, I would be less than fair to the OP were I not to include that: I HATE USING slide-ported semiautomatic pistols. The front sights get too dirty, too fast; and whatever flash does exist is, indeed, much more noticeable to me. (Maybe if I worked more with slide-ported pistols I wouldn’t feel this way; but I don’t; and I do.)

The big (Internet) objection to ALL ported pistols is that they do not fire well while being held-in close to the body, or directly under the face, as they are fired, ‘from close retention’.

Now, far be it from me to disagree with either conventional firearm wisdom or any of the, ‘internet gun forum experts’; but, two thoughts come to mind: (1) A pistolero doesn’t need to be a, ‘rocket scientist’ in order to learn, ‘How’ to cant his muzzle away from his body while firing down low and from close retention; (No, Priscilla, you will NOT set your clothes on fire.) :freak: and, (2) when firing from high retention and, ‘right under your nose’, so to speak, a ported barrel will NOT do anything to your face that a normal pistol is not ALSO capable of doing.

Personally, I have always wondered what idiot introduced pistol shooting from high retention into handgun self-defense? Are the shooting schools actually THAT desperate to encourage novice pistol shooters to acquire some totally unrealistic false sense of competence with a handgun? No pistol is designed to fire either safely or effectively from high center-chest retention. I’ve had 44 Magnum pistols with 8 inch barrels, fired from normal shooting positions, occasionally splash my face with muzzle splatter. If this can happen with an 8 inch barrel, then, dangerous face splatter can occur with ANY other pistol barrel when it is used IMPROPERLY from a high center-chest firing position.

(Deflect and get him off ya! THAT is what the rest of your body is for.) :shakehead:

Pistol shooting is BOTH an art, and a science. Done correctly it should be approached that way, too. The reasons I don’t normally see muzzle flash when I shoot a pistol are because (1) I know better than to look directly at it; and, (2) consequently, I don’t have my eyes focused, either, where they shouldn’t be or while they shouldn’t be there.

(There’s a split-second pause between watching the top of your front sight, the pistol firing, and the muzzle starting to rise in recoil. Proper, rapid-fire front sight focus is, at least to my mind, a lot like watching an old movie. Done right you can almost watch the individual picture frames go by. The trick? You watch the, ‘pictures’ and not the, ‘frames’. As for any perceptible muzzle flash? That’s the, ‘frame’; and you don’t focus on it.) ;)

13. JTSmith

JTSmith Œgfdrïńëçł

I've owned one and so have 3 other friends of mine.

Tell me how gases escaping in front of the sight won't cause it to get dirty?

And you have a hearing problem if you can't tell that gun is louder. We've had RO's at GSSF matches put on double hearing protection after the first string from a 19C.

And so what if you've owned the gun for 3yrs. How many rounds have put through it?

14. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg

No louder to the shooter. As with a revolver, a c model may seem somewhat louder to a person standing to the side of it. Shoulder to shoulder, tight together, a shooter next to you will feel a difference. That's about it. Using commonly available factory ammo, both c and traditional models will darken the front sight. Neither enough for any concern. The ports direct gas roughly to 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock. This is why the bulk of burnt propellant doesn't end up on the front sight of a c model glock in actual use.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  15. 4lifeglocker

4lifeglocker

I have an 19C no issues with muzzle flash just depends on the ammo. Great gun but i need to add a g20sf to my collection.

16. Rev.357

Rev.357

I have a G22C & love it! The C mods are great shooters & worth it if you shoot alot & fast at that. For me the only advantage I've had with the C is faster follow up shots!

17. mic214

mic214

Keyhole,

That is a great pic!

I have to agree with Kodiakpb. I carried a G-23C for several years and shot night qualifications with it. I never saw the flash or had any other issues with it.

18. dave27

dave27 Millennium Member

Yes, a 19C has been my primary carry gun for 6 years.

19. elijah58

elijah58

Dearly love my C models, the G21C, G22C RTF2 with gills and G31C RTF2 with gills. I love the lack of muzzle jump from these models. And I have shot mine in the dark to check the flash problem and found it is NO PROBLEM!!!!! The only way you can make a good judgment is to own one, if you we're to buy one and didn't like it you can always get nearly all of your money back selling it on the GT classifieds. But I am willing to bet if you get one you will love it.
    Eli

20. Rick305

Rick305 ra1sales.com

I shot a 23c and regret picking the 23 over it ... The ported version has SIGNIFICANTLY less muzzle flip.