Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Compromise, isn't every thing to do with CCW just that?

Various individuals state it is wrong to want to carry hi capacity pistols. Not to start a war, but to state a point, I have carried a Glock 19 since moving to the land of the free Florida, USA.

As an old chap, I carry a pistol for the same reason I have House and Vehicle Insurance, just in case I need it.

Having studied the results of handgun injury's for many years, I taught for 23 of those years, calibre is really a mute point, bullet placement first, the ability for your calibre to hit vitals over say 10" of penetration? My 9mm will do that, +P+ 127g WW Ranger, for quite a few years.
Now that is not to say anything is wrong with .38Spl/.40S&W/.45ACP, or even the baby 9mm, the .380, the 9X19 is just what I prefer.

Now a hot wee topic, capacity! I am 210 lbs of bone and muscle, same weight as when I finished my two years military stint in the UK in 1956 (forgot the comfort material round the waist, oops!) same weight, different distribution.

So my somewhat chubby shape hides the Glock19 no problem, and it holds 16 rounds, I can not see any reason to not have lots of rounds in a gun!
They don't eat anything do they, shoot only 3 to end a shooting you got into (one of a thousand readers here, who actually might get into a shooting) the other 13 just sit there. And it just feels good in the hand, and the pistol works first time all the time.

A Glock 17 magazine as a malfunction device, and a small bright flashlight, that is all that is on the belt.

A Colt 1911 weighs about what all that weighs, on its own. But if that is what you like, fill your boots.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I love the Glock 19. Carry it everyday. A small compromise perhaps but I don't feel like I have given up much.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
20,564 Posts
G19 is my every day carry.

·
NRA Benefactor
4,681 Posts
G19 w/TLR-1, Fed 147gr HST, IWB, G17 backup mag, Streamlight Sidewinder on belt, oc pepper spray on key chain, every day.

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
Scouse,

The 19 will do quite fine. I have that very +P+ Winchester 127 gr. ammo for my Glock 9mms.

The reaons I use the 27 is a) I got it cheap (and with night sights) and b) the subcompacts allow me to carry all day. I'm 175 lb and 5' 8". So you can carrry a bit larger gun than I can under a t-shirt (my perfered way.)

I do not consider the .40 S&W a magic bullet, nor any other! The 9mm 127gr load is so close to a good 40 load I'd be quite happy with it.

Oh, in case you are wondering, I chroned the Win. 127gr load myself from a Glock 26. 1240 fps is the average for it. Now the 19 has a longer barrel so expect 1260 or so (the 17 gets 1280 or so.)

Not bad at all for a 16 shot pistol!

Deaf

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Deaf,

It is funny you mention "The magic bullet" I think the part that ends up in an assailant/criminal, the bullet, in it's self, to be magic.

When you consider the amount of rounds that miss, in an altercation, of any kind, between any one, hitting at all is pretty darn good. So you can not be just relying on total luck, in your choice of rounds.

Just shows how good that 127g Rangers Reputation is, to have been picked by two men, from different parts of the world, who read the specs, and the after action reports (more on the reports later) and examined each cartridge, prior to inserting it into a magazine.

How incredibly complex is the human body, and how resistant to damage it actually is. The projectile enters via the skin, the biggest organ on the body, now the hole attempts to heal itself, the blood starts to thicken, and attempt to self repair, humans, and other animals have been doing that for a few thousand years. The fight or flight mechanism switches to high gear, and the body instantly starts to manufacture that wonder drug, adrenalin.

Now if you have done your home work, via reading of after action reports, you know the majority of shot individuals react reasonably predictably, they flee!
Plan A/ was to hurt, or not hurt you, and it did not work, plan B/ kicks in, leave area, and get help, is the name of that tune.

But the selection of a bullet, cartridge combination that not only flies true, but on entering the human you directed it at, instantly (because of it's design) wants to stop! It opens up into sharp petals, becomes no more a spinning aerodynamic object, but rather a tumbling lump of metal, lead and copper, that on average, will penetrate deep (maybe 10 inches) into the body, and if it then strikes a major organ, cause that organ to malfunction, helping you towards the goal you require, thwarting that illegal attack in causing death, or an injury so sever, you will have been saved to go home to your family, which is as it is supposed to be, the good guy through due diligence, in every aspect of your preparation, will survive (and a big chunk of the non planning, called luck!)

It is funny really, we, all of us, select holsters, firearms, ammunition, training, etc, and then spend every waking minute attempting, to make sure, by being ultra careful, not to get into said gun fight! That we did all that preparation for.

Keep Safe.

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
That is true, Scouse.

I do TKD (for nearly 30 years), Krav Maga, and gym workouts yet I don’t visit bars, or late night stop-n-robs, or do the three stupid’s (well I hope I don't do those!)

I've been to many a class, shoot all kinds of matches to sharpen my skills, even learned to shoot left handed (and I can do well at a IDPA match shooting totally left handed!)

Studied all manner of books on ballistics, weapons, techiques, etc...

But I have this feeling I'll far more likely use the first aid kit in my car to help others long long before I ever use violence.

And that's ok with me!

Deaf

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
The Glock 19 is a compromise....

I can't carry a rifle with me everywhere I go, so I carry a pistol instead.

I took a pistol course last month where I dropped my gun in the mud on several occasions, shoved mud caked mags into the gun and chambered rounds, fired over 500 rounds in one day with all this happening, and never one malfunction that was not caused by orange plastic rounds in my mags.
I have absolute trust in the gun. Is it the best for CCW? Who knows, but I wouldn't trade it for anything else.

Bone stock Glock. Add XS sights, practice often and carry daily.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A picture says a thousand words...
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
The Glock 19 is a compromise....

I took a pistol course last month where I dropped my gun in the mud on several occasions, shoved mud caked mags into the gun and chambered rounds, fired over 500 rounds in one day with all this happening, and never one malfunction that was not caused by orange plastic rounds in my mags.
I have absolute trust in the gun. Is it the best for CCW? Who knows, but I wouldn't trade it for anything else.

Bone stock Glock. Add XS sights, practice often and carry daily.

·
Inactive/Banned
3,554 Posts
Depending on my mood and what I have planned that day determines what I carry. Either it's going to be a G19 or my G22 turned G31. So I have two differnt platforms totaling three different calibers and I'm happy and feel safe with all three. It's not about caliber, it's about placement. Pure and simple. If you can't hit your target you might as well shoot blanks so you don't hurt an innocent.

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
Carrying a handgun, I think, by definition, is a compromise. Who, in their right mind, if they knew they were going to be in a fight for their lives, would choose to bring a handgun, versus something more substantial?

·
Raging Member
489 Posts
Carrying a handgun, I think, by definition, is a compromise. Who, in their right mind, if they knew they were going to be in a fight for their lives, would choose to bring a handgun, versus something more substantial?
That's exactly why I stuff an AR down my pants every morning and a 40 round mag in each pocket.

·
Banned
611 Posts
The Win Rangers are great ammo, but the Cor-bon all copper stuff is off the charts. If you can get it and want to pay for it. Then again all you need is the carry load. Thats about the only thing I'd upgrade.

The penetration of that stuff is awesome, including plowing thru auto glass and sheet metal with the ability to track straight after. Firearms instructor on a recent permit had been to a target shoot and the test round he fired went thru the windshield, penetrated the head rest, the head rest in the back seat , the back windshield and may still be going. :wow:

Glock seems to do 9mm best, better than any other caliber. I ended up with two, a 26 and a 19 plus a 29 for one of my trucks. The 19 was for "just because"...a very generic, never fail, utilitarian sidearm. An excuse to accrue 3000 rounds of ammo relatively cheaply in the event something ugly or Katrina -like ever happens.

·
Mental Target
185 Posts
I love my G19.......however, my G26 is my daily carry. Even though I've had my G19 for 3 years longer than my G26, I still have more rounds fired through my G26 than my G19.

Honestly, the G19 now feels like a "large" pistol since I'm used to handling my G26 daily. No issues, no malfunctions and the Hornaday HST's I use, have stopped a few large animals while playing in the woods.

·
Banned
2,504 Posts
I love my G19.......however, my G26 is my daily carry. Even though I've had my G19 for 3 years longer than my G26, I still have more rounds fired through my G26 than my G19.

Honestly, the G19 now feels like a "large" pistol since I'm used to handling my G26 daily. No issues, no malfunctions and the Hornaday HST's I use, have stopped a few large animals while playing in the woods.

Hornady HST. Never heard of it. Got any pics of this ammo?

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Do you have the hook on the carry magazine? What spare, if any do you carry, a G17?

·
NRA Benefactor
4,681 Posts

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I live in Orange County Florida.

Three criminals refused to stop in a traffic stop, then spun around and drove at the Deputy, (Male-5 years on) he fired 10 rounds from his Glock 21, at windshield, all three were hit!

Vehicle reasonably new Jeep Grand Cherokee, which then drove into a pond, all three in hospital.

I feel that the Hornaday HST in 9mm would have had a lot better chance of more critical injury's, penetration being better? Just a thought.

The pictures (Mug shots) of these likely looking lads told the tale!

Of course not! You missed the second "a"!!

:rofl::tongueout:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts