Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Enigma
3,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a thread on Glock 32 first.
Drawbacks to the 357 Sig: local ammo availability (for those that are limited like that) and cost.
Advantages are same capacity as a 40, moderate recoil and high KE.

Then the 19 had a turn.
Drawbacks to the 9mm are its a 9mm :p
Advantages are capacity, minimal recoil, availability, and cost.

Today the Glock 23 gets its due, 13 +1 rounds of 40 caliber goodness.
Although the 40 produces slightly slower follow up shots than 9mm, it launches a bigger bullet in exchange.
Average chrono results I've obtained from the 4'' barrel Glock 23 are impressive:
Federal Hydra-Shok 180 gr. @ 969 fps / 375# KE
Federal HST 180 gr. @ 1003 fps / 402# KE
Remington Golden Saber 165 gr. @ 1,048 fps / 402# KE
Winchester Ranger T 165 @ 1,146 fps / 481# KE

40 ammo is readily available and cheaper than 357 Sig (or 45 acp).
Comparing data from the Federal website, 40 HST recovered diameters are bigger than HST 9mm or 357 Sig.
http://www.le.vistaoutdoor.com/wound_ballistics/load_comparison/load_comparison.aspx
Bare Gel:
HST 147 gr. 9mm: 12''/.85
HST 125 gr. 357 Sig: 11''/.83
HST 180 gr. 40: 12''/.96
Heavy Clothing:
147 gr. 9mm: 12.5''/.69
125 gr. 357: 12.5''/.64
180 gr. 40: 12.5''/.80
IWBA Heavy Clothing:
147 gr. 9mm: 12''/.66
180 gr. 40: 13.5''/.70

Gen 3 Glock 23 with XS Big Dot sights, steel striker, cast extractor and minus finger grooves:
Firearm Gun Trigger Gun accessory Starting pistol

:thumbsup:

· Registered
55 Posts
I did a thread on Glock 32 first.
Drawbacks to the 357 Sig: local ammo availability (for those that are limited like that) and cost.
Advantages are same capacity as a 40, moderate recoil and high KE.

Then the 19 had a turn.
Drawbacks to the 9mm are its a 9mm :p
Advantages are capacity, minimal recoil, availability, and cost.

Today the Glock 23 gets its due, 13 +1 rounds of 40 caliber goodness.
Although the 40 produces slightly slower follow up shots than 9mm, it launches a bigger bullet in exchange.
Average chrono results I've obtained from the 4'' barrel Glock 23 are impressive:
Federal Hydra-Shok 180 gr. @ 969 fps / 375# KE
Federal HST 180 gr. @ 1003 fps / 402# KE
Remington Golden Saber 165 gr. @ 1,048 fps / 402# KE
Winchester Ranger T 165 @ 1,146 fps / 481# KE

40 ammo is readily available and cheaper than 357 Sig (or 45 acp).
Comparing data from the Federal website, 40 HST recovered diameters are bigger than HST 9mm or 357 Sig.
http://www.le.vistaoutdoor.com/wound_ballistics/load_comparison/load_comparison.aspx
Bare Gel:
HST 147 gr. 9mm: 12''/.85
HST 125 gr. 357 Sig: 11''/.83
HST 180 gr. 40: 12''/.96
Heavy Clothing:
147 gr. 9mm: 12.5''/.69
180 gr. 40: 12.5''/.80
IWBA Heavy Clothing:
147 gr. 9mm: 12''/.66
180 gr. 40: 13.5''/.70

Gen 3 Glock 23 with XS Big Dot sights, steel striker, cast extractor and minus finger grooves:
View attachment 253720
:thumbsup:
Love my Gen 4 23

· Banned
12,667 Posts
My very first GLOCK, and I've never been without one. I'm on number three, now. It's a Gen 3 and if a GLOCK can be beautiful, I believe it's this size pistol. The compact has great lines. The grip and the slide are in perfect symmetry, in my opinion. It's what I choose to carry, when I know I will be facing a dicey situation (perhaps augmented by a carbine or shotgun).

Reactions: awoodpd13

· Enigma
3,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My very first GLOCK, and I've never been without one. I'm on number three, now. It's a Gen 3 and if a GLOCK can be beautiful, I believe it's this size pistol. The compact has great lines. The grip and the slide are in perfect symmetry, in my opinion. It's what I choose to carry, when I know I will be facing a dicey situation (perhaps augmented by a carbine or shotgun).
The 19/23/32 "compact" is absolutely my favorite size Glock, accommodates all my fingers without a magazine base extension.
5'' height is the same as a Colt Officers or Kimber Ultra, but with double the capacity.

· Registered
9,533 Posts
No problem with the .40 caliber if the 357 Sig round didn't exist the .40 would be my choice with not even a second thought. I have .40 barrels for my G33 and G32 for ammo availability if needed. I don't chose my SD calibers for popularity price or opinion, I chose the most effective calibers, the 357 Sig and .40 are the two best!

· Registered
11,729 Posts
My only Glock is an OD 3rd generation G-32 and it's the one handgun I'm sure I will never part with.

I have other handguns that feel more ergonomic but I shoot the Glock more accurately than the two 9mm pistols I own, and I am very pleased with both of them for their quality and reliability.

The compact Glock is just the right fit for my hand and the .357sig is an awesome caliber.

I have no doubt the same G-23 size is just as awesome for its capabilities.

· Enigma
3,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My only Glock is an OD 3rd generation G-32 and it's the one handgun I'm sure I will never part with.

I have other handguns that feel more ergonomic but I shoot the Glock more accurately than the two 9mm pistols I own, and I am very pleased with both of them for their quality and reliability.

The compact Glock is just the right fit for my hand and the .357sig is an awesome caliber.

I have no doubt the same G-23 size is just as awesome for its capabilities.
My favorite size Glock is the 19/23/32, the grip is long enough to accommodate all my fingers without a magazine base pinky rest.

· Registered
1,574 Posts
My favorite size Glock is the 19/23/32, the grip is long enough to accommodate all my fingers without a magazine base pinky rest.
The 19/23/32 size is my favorite also-by a fair margin.

· Registered
215 Posts
The final diameter is of limited value. What is important is not what the media does to the bullet, it's what the bullet does to the media. (assuming proper penetration) The .357 Sig is my first choice followed by .40 Underwood load of 155gr gold dot and 1300fps. Only thing better is 45acp +P by Underwood or 45 Super. (10mm properly loaded even better)

Breakout the :popcorn:

· Registered
34,005 Posts
The caliber wars get old but I nevertheless end up getting sucked into them!

I always chuckle when .40 fanboys taught size as the big advantage. .45 > .40 by a bigger margin than .40 > 9mm.

· In the STL
3,766 Posts
Yes .45 > .40 but it's also in a larger framed pistol and carries less rounds.

If size and weight of firearm wasn't a concern for concealed carry I would carry a Desert Eagle in .50AE with me all the time. I used to own one in .44 mag. Nice firearm, but big and heavy

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk

· Registered
4,263 Posts
Final diameter (well final diameter x penetration) is the most important factor. Yeah, the stretch/cavitation cavities in gel test look impressive, but they have no effect on incapacitation in pistol rounds. Pistol rounds don't have enough velocity to do any damage in real tissue beyond the cruch cavity. So crush cavity volume (which is bullet frontal area x penetration), is the key number. Anything else is irrelevant.

The final diameter is of limited value. What is important is not what the media does to the bullet, it's what the bullet does to the media. (assuming proper penetration) The .357 Sig is my first choice followed by .40 Underwood load of 155gr gold dot and 1300fps. Only thing better is 45acp +P by Underwood or 45 Super. (10mm properly loaded even better)

Breakout the :popcorn:

· Registered
8,142 Posts
People seem to forget about speed of bullet, a small bullet going faster can sometimes
do much more damage than a big heavy slow bullet, depending on the construction
and profile.

That is why the full power 357sig/mag works so good and rifles.

FWIW

Shooting Holes in Wounding Theories:
The Mechanics of Terminal Ballistics

http://www.rathcoombe.net/sci-tech/ballistics/methods.html#308_caliber

· Banned
12,667 Posts
People seem to forget about speed of bullet, a small bullet going faster can sometimes
do much more damage than a big heavy slow bullet, depending on the construction
and profile.

That is why the full power 357sig/mag works so good and rifles.
The question is whether bullets traveling at handgun velocities cause tissue to stretch beyond its capacity to resist tearing. That's why a big, slow .45 ACP works so well. Permanent crush cavity. Small bullets have to expand just to reach .45".

Reactions: happie2shoot

· Registered
8,142 Posts
The question is whether bullets traveling at handgun velocities cause tissue to stretch beyond its to resist tearing. That's why a big, slow .45 ACP works so well. Permanent crush cavity. Small bullets have to expand just to reach .45".
The question has already been answered many times you just refuse to
accept it.

I know shooting animals has nothing to do with shooting vertical targets, people,
you only say that because you don't have experience shooting animals.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.