close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock 18- Questions, questions, questions

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by allamricn, May 27, 2003.

1. allamricn

allamricn

Calling all Glockers

After seeing Matrix Reloaded, I am now officially in lust with the Glock 18. What a great Glock!

Here's my question(s):
    1) What is the history and current production of the Model 18?

2) Can private citizens own one given proper Federal permits?

3) Where would you even proocure one for purchase?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

2. RenegadeGlocker

RenegadeGlocker

History is it was designed in 1985 or so for anti-terrorist applications.

Yes.

Those that specialize in NFA transfers, would be your best source. You are not going to find it at your local gun dealer.

The only Glock 18s you can legally own in the US are those that were imported prior to 5/19/86. Rumor is their may be a couple, but I have never seen one or heard of one for sale.

Most G18s you see in the US are LEO/Mil Demo units that cannot be transferred to civilians.

Even more common are the conversion units, that can convert any Glock to select fire. These though are in the same class as above.

3. Maximaking

Maximaking

Given a Class III license can you convert a regular Glock to select fire? I was under the impression that it was still illegal.

Todd

4. ChaneyD

ChaneyD

It's only illegal if you ALTER the weapon. There are configurations out there (quite expensive) that will do this without alteration. The back slide is removed, striker mechanisms are exchanged and there you have it. It's not considered alteration since the original parts can be put back. I bought a tac2 device at a gunshow that allows me fire my 10/22 full automatic. Awesome. Cost me $45. Hooks to the trigger and sear. Snaps right in. Comes right off.

5. Guest

Are you sure ChaneyD? I'd love to buy one of those cover plate auto switch for my Glock.

6. hcook

hcook

To all GTers: please DO NOT heed the advice given above by ChaneyD. It is incorrect and you could easily find yourself in a world of legal trouble if you do. Unless you have a strong desire to fork over a hefty fine to Uncle Sam as well as spend time being Bubba's girlfriend, I would strongly suggest you steer clear of such items.

ChaneyD:
    • There are NO devices which allow true full auto fire which are legal to own without NFA involvement. None.
    • It does not matter if the firearm is permanently altered or not. DIASs and HK sears in no way permanently alter the weapon, but they are both controlled items. Conversion of a gun to full auto is illegal without NFA involvement.
    • Mere possession of items that can be used to allow true full auto fire in a firearm may be construed as constructive possession.
    • If you own a conversion device that allows true full auto and own a firearm in which it will function, you've just publicly admitted to a felony.

7. hcook

hcook

Maximaking, if you are an FFL and a SOT you may convert a Glock to select fire. Specifically, I think you need to be a 07 FFL (manufacturer of firearms other than destructive devices) and a SOT Class 2 (manufacturer of firearms).

Hope that helps.

8. greatgonzos

greatgonzos

any private citizen with a background check can own fully auto. you pay for a one time transfer fee not sure how much but it probally a lot of $$$ and all the paperwork is recorded. problem is since the ban these guns are way too pricy for the average joe for example a M16 runs about $10,000. correct no guns can be converted even having the parts in your home is intent. fines are like 200,000 and ten years. im not sure how accurate my info is but i found the spot where the machine gunners hang and they are so cool. I had tons of questions. I shot their M16 and a B.A.R. anyway they said its not worth the jail time cause you can pay to have them legally!

9. ProGlock

ProGlock He is The One

Yeah, hcook is right on the money here. I'm sorry, but that was just plain stupid what you posted here ChaneyD. Better hope the FBI or BATF don't read these boards very often.

10. ChaneyD

ChaneyD

Those devices are available at any gun show around here. They apparently haven't caused a problem with local LE since they watch the doors checking guns as you come in. They know what is being sold and what is not being sold. They do watch out for stun guns, etc. which is illegal here and will pop you for those.

11. Russian

Russian

Wow. It's not every day I see someone admitting to be in possession of an unregistered machinegun. Chaney, just because the local police haven't arrested dealers selling complete conversion devices doesn't make those devices legal. Local law enforcement (and even their ATF counterparts) are often ill-informed on NFA laws. For that matter, it's possible that those dealers are selling unfinished sear/back plate kits and not complete conversion devices.

12. dengel

dengel Deceased

Chaney-

The tac triggers do NOT convert the weapon to full auto. What they do it bring the trigger to the brink of firing, and allow the recoil to pull the trigger repeatedly using the recoil forces. Meaning - One Shot = One Trigger Pull. Personally, I bought one of those POS things for a 10/22 and my AR and it worked like crap. Remember the defination of a select fire weapon is one trigger pull allows multiple rounds to be fired.

Currently there are devices which can be placed into firearms to make them into full auto, however, one must be a manufacturer, or LE to do so. As a private citizen, DO NOT attempt to convert any weapon to full auto .. you will be committing a felony and spend time in the GreyBar motel and pay a nice fluffy fine.

Even if the weapon accidently goes full auto for any reason - a worn part, or a malfunctioning part, you would still be considered to be having an unregistered and illegal machine gun.

13. Jakk

Jakk Millennium Member

14. Ninja Monkey

Ninja Monkey

The only transferrable full-auto Glocks are G17s that were imported as semi-auto and converted to full-auto in the US. Foreign-made machineguns are only transferrable if they were imported prior to the 1968 GCA. As there were no Glocks in 1968, there can be no transferrable G18s in the US.

15. dengel

dengel Deceased

I dont think the GCA of 68 had anything to do with foriegn made machine guns, I think you're thinking about the 1986 legislation.

16. hcook

hcook

Actually, I think Ninja Monkey has it right IIRC.

GCA '68 banned foreign made machine guns.

FOPA '86 banned domestic made machine guns, and brought into existence the current "pre / post 86 dealer sample" rules.

17. RenegadeGlocker

RenegadeGlocker

1934 - Regulated machine guns and suppressors with heavy tax and registration.

1968 - banned import of machine guns, suppressors, and weapons not designed for a sporting purpose. Enacted more paperwork (4473).

1986 - banned manufacture of new domestic machine guns for civilian market.

1994 - AWB.

I stand corrected on the G18 import issue. The only way a G18 can be transferred is if Glock made it here in the US. It is my understanding Glock makes the parts in Austria, and assembles them here. They could have built the actual sear (machine gun), here nad then assembled the remaining parts, just like the conversion guns. Doubt it though.