close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

GLock 18 jamming

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by ecuaglock, Jan 24, 2006.

1. ecuaglock

ecuaglock

I recently purchased a used glock 18. I took it to the range. I started with two magazines of 15 in semi mode just to warm it up and then followed with a magazine of 30 (extended). I had no problems with the jamming so far. the gun was tip top. I later switch to the standard magazine filled it with 15 rounds in auto mode. Then the jamming started, after a three burst shoot the gun will jam. An unfired round will try to get into the chamber but the slide wouldn't close entirely so i had to release the magazine and cock the gun again.

I was firing the FMJ winchester 115gr. and then i switched to magtech 124 gr FMJ. but it would still jam after a three burst shoot. it's so weird because in the first round of 30 the gun didn't jam. I was wondering if any of the glockers on the forum know anything about this.

the extended magazine was brand new.

my gun is compesated, but it's a custom made where they drill five holes on top of the slide.

i was thinking if springs could be the problem, or if the barrel is over compensated. the weird thing is that it didn't have any problems in the beginning.

if anyone could have some suggestion, i'll be very glad to take them.

2. supv26

supv26 Guest

I have never owned/shot a G18 but would the chamber be getting dirty and not allowing the slide to close fully? Might check that. Also, there has been some 'glocktalk' about maybe changing out the guide rod/spring to an after market. That may be somehting you can try.

I want one!!! I found a web site that has a replacement part for the slide that allows select fire. I may try one for the G17. That would be fun!

3. vafish

vafish

It would be fun until you got caught with it. Then it would be 10 years in the Federal Pen and a $10,000 fine.

4. llcoolj_2222

llcoolj_2222

Sounds weird... G18 can't take 15rds magazins..it takes G17 17rnds...

5. xring04

xring04 On the Right.

2 posts, g18 jamming, 15rd mags etc..... hummmmm Gonna need a pic with the g18 in front of this thread to buy it!

6. xring04

xring04 On the Right.

llcoolj_2222- great minds think alike!

7. llcoolj_2222

llcoolj_2222

;c ^c

8. ecuaglock

ecuaglock

i don't fully load the magazines so it's easier for me to count. box of ammo comes in 50's and if you start loading 17's and 31's you end up with weird numbers. it's easier just to load anything in multiples of 5. so in the end you know how many bullets you end up shooting. at the rate those bullets fly you're gonna complain about two miserable shots?

9. MrGlock21

MrGlock21

10. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

Just a guess, but I wonder if you're losing too much pressure for the ammo you're using, which is causing a slide-speed issue. The 18 has a tremendous cyclic rate and it needs to be fed ammo that is up to the job. The time I fired an 18C (NOT modified by anyone) it was fed +P+ ammo, which it ate & digested like candy, from round 1 to round 33 - which don't take very long.
    ;f

Edit: See if you can borrow a stock 18C barrel from someone, test & report back.
    ;j

11. supv26

supv26 Guest

Not for LE.....
    Trying to explain why I needed it would be the hard part. LOL
    ;Q

12. glocker199

glocker199

Are you in a different country? As far as I know, there are no "used" G18s on the market in the U.S. If there are a couple, they would certainly cost tens of thousands of dollars.

13. xring04

xring04 On the Right.

Hummmmmmm no pics in front of the thread, I guess you can't afford a camera after getting that 18 huh?

I smell tuna!

14. UZIFORME

UZIFORME

If you want to ship it to me I can get it fixed and turned around in a week. Most gunsmiths are not going to look at a machinegun.

Something is going on with either the extractor behind the cartridge, or the selector nubbin over engaging the trigger bar, check for broken trigger return spring.

15. hankfan79

hankfan79

Not if you do it legally...and you CAN!!

16. John@JCDLESales

John@JCDLESales

+1

If it is an 18 send it to Dave he is well versed in the side slide selectors where as I do the slide back plate selector conversions.

I've never seen an 18 or 17 conversion jam unless an ejected case got caught between the slide and the optic mount.

Pics Are A Must Here Son Or We Claim Tickets.

[​IMG]

17. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

I think he lives in South America.

The G18 I got to shoot was very dirty, but fired just fine!!!
    (Federal Training)

;N

18. BlackBelt

BlackBelt

There is the *remote* possiblity that you are not keeping your wrist stiff enough, and the gun is jamming because of what's known as 'limp-wristing'. I've seen it happen with a converted G17. You can put a drop foregrip on the rail and use both hands and see if that helps.