Glock 17L discussion

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by mmcbeat, Jul 13, 2018.

1. bocadave

bocadave

These guns are really fun to shoot at the range or out in the outback. I am now 80 years and still love to shoot at 25 plus yards. I am thinking about adding a Vortex or FastFire for better vision. I have them on two Glocks and my MKIV. They are great.

2. mmcbeat

mmcbeat

I could be wrong but I think Glock used the cut out to lighten the slides on the 17L and 34/35 so they could use the same recoil spring as the 17.

DJ Niner and ShipWreck like this.

3. Paul73

Paul73

If you look at my thread - you can see that not every 115gr ammo may cycle gen5 g34. My slide with leupold red dot is 558g. I am waiting for a set of replacement rsa springs to test it.

4. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Staff Member Moderator

They also made the G17L in Gen1 and Gen2 versions.

The photos I posted are of my Gen1, which is why I thought there might have been later changes.

5. Lot

Lot

I just checked a Gen 3 17, 34, and 17L side by side.

The 34 and 17L have the cuts in the left side of the slide, but not that spot that goes ear of the ejection port.

The 17L has the giant channel cut out of the rear left whereas the 34 just has the shelf shaved off.

But they don't have the oval cut. There are some circular pattern machining marks (from a mill?) but no recessed area. Even on your pic, is that an actual cut that would catch a pick or fingernail, or just a machining mark?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
  6. bocadave

bocadave

We're all the Gen 1 and Gen 2 guns ported? I have seen the ported 17L but I don't know when Glock did away with the porting. They were having problems in the porting area of the barrel. The ported ones are hard to come by now.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
  7. ShipWreck

ShipWreck Beretta 92 Nut!

I do not recall any of the 17Ls being ported. But with the slide cut, it is so easy to just drop in a ported barrel

8. bocadave

bocadave

Mine is a Gen3 non ported but with the slide cut out. Here is the ported model B74EA65D-F551-45A7-9416-010174089A0B.jpeg

9. DJ Niner

Nice photo!

Oh, wait...I probably shouldn't say that...it's a photo I took years ago. :supergrin:

That photo is actually the same Glock that the internal slide photos, above, were taken from.

10. DJ Niner

Only a small percentage of the Gen1 17L models were ported, but due to the way the cuts were made, the barrels had a tendency to crack between the port slots. When people started to send the cracked barrels in for replacement, Glock (apparently) decided to cut their losses and replace them with solid/non-ported barrels (which probably wasn't a really popular decision with the owners, I'm guessing). No other Generations of G17L models had any factory porting (that I am aware of; I've recently been told otherwise), so the ones that survived intact are fairly uncommon (dare I say "rare"?).

If you find a factory-ported Gen1 G17L in decent condition with all the original accessories, examples have been selling for several thousand dollars or more to collectors. Mine is a "shooter grade" (no accessories other than a few mags), but I bought a non-ported factory barrel so I can still shoot it occasionally without stressing or possibly cracking the original ported barrel.

Bigger pic, click to embiggen:

glock17lported.jpg

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
    ShipWreck likes this.
  11. DJ Niner

I think what I am calling the oval cut, you are calling the channel cut.

This is the oval area I was talking about:

Glock17LSlideCutoutLeftSideMod.jpg

Based on your G34 and G17L photos, if Glock went back to the same cuts they used on my Gen1 G17L, I think they could eliminate enough metal to "close the window" in the Gen5 G34 slide, but they might have to make it thinner, or cut a shallow groove in it to lose a little bit more mass.

12. vanquish

vanquish

There were Gen 2 17L's that were also ported.

13. bocadave

bocadave

DJ I didn't say it was my 17L only wanted to show one the was ported. Good job on my part to find yours to pick out to use.I do not like ported guns anyway. And yes the ported ones are getting rare to find. I like shooting the 17 Long slide because it's fun. My two G19s are as accurate as the 17L. I am about to add a Vortex Vernom to my 17L to help the old eyes!!

DJ Niner likes this.
  14. DJ Niner

Got a link to a source for that? I'm always open to learning.

Not saying someone couldn't put one together, but I'm pretty sure the slotted ported barrel had been discontinued before the Gen2 models were released, so I'm wondering how that could happen.

15. vanquish

vanquish

Better than a link, I am lucky enough to have one. All numbers match.

Attached Files:

16. DJ Niner

Interesting! That's the same 4-port porting style they used on the G24.

Any chance you could post a view of the box label?
    If you don't want to show the serial number, you could block that out (manually or digitally).

* sigh * -- Another one I need to watch for at the gunshows and pawn shops...

17. railfancwb

railfancwb

My son shot my 17L so I no longer have one

18. vanquish

vanquish

Yeah, I will try to snap one the next time I am over there. Unfortunately I don't have one saved of the box label.

I need to work on getting the sites and mag release put back to original and find a manual and brush for it, then it will be complete. Luckily the box label says it came with fixed sites so I don't have to find a weekend set for it.

DJ Niner likes this.
  19. bocadave

bocadave

I find this interesting the ported barrel that I posted of DJ 17L ,if it is his, has three ports and the one vanquish posted has 4 ports. May be difference between Gen 1 and Gen 2. Mine is a Gen 3 and was not offered ported. I did hear about the barrels cracking at the ports. Explanation anyone? Like I said I like the non ported version.

20. capcap

capcap

Sad when you have a “purpose “ to buy a gun you like.