GlockTalk Forum banner

61 - 80 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
These guns are really fun to shoot at the range or out in the outback. I am now 80 years and still love to shoot at 25 plus yards. I am thinking about adding a Vortex or FastFire for better vision. I have them on two Glocks and my MKIV. They are great.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Second question first; the G17L slide was ALREADY engineered to be lighter, by adding internal cuts to remove "excess" steel at various points (see pics below). This got the slide weight down to within 10 percent of a stock G17 slide (17L slide was still about 1.5 ounces heavier). Although not highlighted in red, also note the deep/dark oval cut at the right-center of the G17L slide photo.

G17L slide on top, G17 below in the first two photos:

View attachment 856190

View attachment 856192

G17L slide on the bottom, G17 on top in the following two pics:

View attachment 856194

View attachment 856196

I don't think there is any more excess weight that can be trimmed from a G17L slide without potentially affecting long-term durability (the photos are of older Glocks, so perhaps the slide cuts or configurations have been changed over the years).

Perhaps someone with a Gen3 G17L could check their slide and see if the cuts are still there, and still similar to these early-model cuts?

To your first question: I have not yet checked to see if the G34 slide has the same internal lightening cuts as a G17L. If not, then adding them in the Gen5 G34 could (at least partially?) make up for it not having a window cut.

If you look at my thread - you can see that not every 115gr ammo may cycle gen5 g34. My slide with leupold red dot is 558g. I am waiting for a set of replacement rsa springs to test it.

·
Super Moderator
19,774 Posts
I think all G17L are Gen 3 but i am not sure. Mine is a Gen 3 and has a cut out slide but no ported barrel.
They also made the G17L in Gen1 and Gen2 versions.

The photos I posted are of my Gen1, which is why I thought there might have been later changes.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Perhaps someone with a Gen3 G17L could check their slide and see if the cuts are still there, and still similar to these early-model cuts?
I just checked a Gen 3 17, 34, and 17L side by side.

The 34 and 17L have the cuts in the left side of the slide, but not that spot that goes ear of the ejection port.

The 17L has the giant channel cut out of the rear left whereas the 34 just has the shelf shaved off.

Although not highlighted in red, also note the deep/dark oval cut at the right-center of the G17L slide photo.
But they don't have the oval cut. There are some circular pattern machining marks (from a mill?) but no recessed area. Even on your pic, is that an actual cut that would catch a pick or fingernail, or just a machining mark?

·
Registered
388 Posts
They also made the G17L in Gen1 and Gen2 versions.

The photos I posted are of my Gen1, which is why I thought there might have been later changes.
We're all the Gen 1 and Gen 2 guns ported? I have seen the ported 17L but I don't know when Glock did away with the porting. They were having problems in the porting area of the barrel. The ported ones are hard to come by now.

·
Beretta 92 Nut!
5,443 Posts
We're all the Gen 1 and Gen 2 guns ported? I have seen the ported 17L but I don't know when Glock did away with the porting. They were having problems in the porting area of the barrel. The ported ones are hard to com by now.
I do not recall any of the 17Ls being ported. But with the slide cut, it is so easy to just drop in a ported barrel

·
Super Moderator
19,774 Posts
Mine is a Gen3 non ported but with the slide cut out. Here is the ported model View attachment 856868
Nice photo!

Oh, wait...I probably shouldn't say that...it's a photo I took years ago. :supergrin:

That photo is actually the same Glock that the internal slide photos, above, were taken from.

·
Super Moderator
19,774 Posts
I do not recall any of the 17Ls being ported. But with the slide cut, it is so easy to just drop in a ported barrel
Only a small percentage of the Gen1 17L models were ported, but due to the way the cuts were made, the barrels had a tendency to crack between the port slots. When people started to send the cracked barrels in for replacement, Glock (apparently) decided to cut their losses and replace them with solid/non-ported barrels (which probably wasn't a really popular decision with the owners, I'm guessing). No other Generations of G17L models had any factory porting (that I am aware of; I've recently been told otherwise), so the ones that survived intact are fairly uncommon (dare I say "rare"?).

If you find a factory-ported Gen1 G17L in decent condition with all the original accessories, examples have been selling for several thousand dollars or more to collectors. Mine is a "shooter grade" (no accessories other than a few mags), but I bought a non-ported factory barrel so I can still shoot it occasionally without stressing or possibly cracking the original ported barrel.

Bigger pic, click to embiggen:

glock17lported.jpg

·
Super Moderator
19,774 Posts
But they don't have the oval cut. There are some circular pattern machining marks (from a mill?) but no recessed area. Even on your pic, is that an actual cut that would catch a pick or fingernail, or just a machining mark?
I think what I am calling the oval cut, you are calling the channel cut.

This is the oval area I was talking about:

Glock17LSlideCutoutLeftSideMod.jpg

Based on your G34 and G17L photos, if Glock went back to the same cuts they used on my Gen1 G17L, I think they could eliminate enough metal to "close the window" in the Gen5 G34 slide, but they might have to make it thinner, or cut a shallow groove in it to lose a little bit more mass.

·
Registered
101 Posts
There were Gen 2 17L's that were also ported.

Only a small percentage of the Gen1 17L models were ported, but due to the way the cuts were made, the barrels had a tendency to crack between the port slots. When people started to send the cracked barrels in for replacement, Glock (apparently) decided to cut their losses and replace them with solid/non-ported barrels (which probably wasn't a really popular decision with the owners, I'm guessing). No other Generations of G17L models had any factory porting, so the ones that survived intact are fairly uncommon (dare I say "rare"?).

If you find a factory-ported Gen1 G17L in decent condition with all the original accessories, examples have been selling for several thousand dollars or more to collectors. Mine is a "shooter grade" (no accessories other than a few mags), but I bought a non-ported factory barrel so I can still shoot it occasionally without stressing or possibly cracking the original ported barrel.

Bigger pic, click to embiggen:

View attachment 857454

·
Registered
388 Posts
DJ I didn't say it was my 17L only wanted to show one the was ported. Good job on my part to find yours to pick out to use.I do not like ported guns anyway. And yes the ported ones are getting rare to find. I like shooting the 17 Long slide because it's fun. My two G19s are as accurate as the 17L. I am about to add a Vortex Vernom to my 17L to help the old eyes!!

·
Super Moderator
19,774 Posts
There were Gen 2 17L's that were also ported.
Got a link to a source for that? I'm always open to learning.

Not saying someone couldn't put one together, but I'm pretty sure the slotted ported barrel had been discontinued before the Gen2 models were released, so I'm wondering how that could happen.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Better than a link, I am lucky enough to have one. All numbers match.

Got a link to a source for that? I'm always open to learning.

Not saying someone couldn't put one together, but I'm pretty sure the slotted ported barrel had been discontinued before the Gen2 models were released, so I'm wondering how that could happen.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
19,774 Posts
Better than a link, I am lucky enough to have one. All numbers match.
Interesting! That's the same 4-port porting style they used on the G24.

Any chance you could post a view of the box label?
If you don't want to show the serial number, you could block that out (manually or digitally).

* sigh * -- Another one I need to watch for at the gunshows and pawn shops...

·
Registered
17,351 Posts
I used to own a 17L and foolishly sold it. This was several years ago. I’m really wanting to replace the gun. They are available through online sales but I might wait until I see one in a shop or gun show. This will be a house/range gun.

Please share your thoughts and experiences regarding the 17L.
My son shot my 17L so I no longer have one

·
Registered
101 Posts
Yeah, I will try to snap one the next time I am over there. Unfortunately I don't have one saved of the box label.

I need to work on getting the sites and mag release put back to original and find a manual and brush for it, then it will be complete. Luckily the box label says it came with fixed sites so I don't have to find a weekend set for it.

Interesting! That's the same 4-port porting style they used on the G24.

Any chance you could post a view of the box label?
If you don't want to show the serial number, you could block that out (manually or digitally).

* sigh * -- Another one I need to watch for at the gunshows and pawn shops...

·
Registered
388 Posts
I find this interesting the ported barrel that I posted of DJ 17L ,if it is his, has three ports and the one vanquish posted has 4 ports. May be difference between Gen 1 and Gen 2. Mine is a Gen 3 and was not offered ported. I did hear about the barrels cracking at the ports. Explanation anyone? Like I said I like the non ported version.

61 - 80 of 81 Posts