GlockTalk Forum banner

21 - 40 of 81 Posts

·
Proud NRA Life Patron Member, Life GSSF member
8,513 Posts
8EF7D11A-25B5-491B-8E2E-319C3B4C9D36.jpeg
You'll never see a target further than 20 yards in IDPA/USPSA or Steel Challenge. It there happened to be a B Zone steel at 35 yards the G17L would have an advantage. But having had 2 of them in the last 20 years, I still prefer the G17s. And when you put a dot on any Glock, the sight radius no longer matters because dots are target focused.
What about Outer Limits at 35 yards in Steel Challenge, has this changed?

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
You'll never see a target further than 20 yards in IDPA/USPSA or Steel Challenge. It there happened to be a B Zone steel at 35 yards the G17L would have an advantage. But having had 2 of them in the last 20 years, I still prefer the G17s. And when you put a dot on any Glock, the sight radius no longer matters because dots are target focused.
I was just pointing out that the 17L does have one advantage in competition over the standard 17 and that is sight radius. Obviously if using some form of optic it doesn't matter.

I have a 17L, it was actually my first Glock and one of the first few handguns I ever bought, I've never used it in competition.

I prefer the 34 to be honest if I'm using a Glock for competition, followed by a tricked out 17 (optic, comp, etc). Though generally Glocks are just my fun guns or beater guns (teach new people to shoot guns etc)

·
8,513 Posts
I was just pointing out that the 17L does have one advantage in competition over the standard 17 and that is sight radius. Obviously if using some form of optic it doesn't matter.

I have a 17L, it was actually my first Glock and one of the first few handguns I ever bought, I've never used it in competition.

I prefer the 34 to be honest if I'm using a Glock for competition, followed by a tricked out 17 (optic, comp, etc). Though generally Glocks are just my fun guns or beater guns (teach new people to shoot guns etc)
I believe different strokes. The 17L and 34 for me have slower slide speeds sooo I like the 17 or smaller slides. I find a longer slide easier to shoot, but if I’m on I prefer even a 26 even at 35 yards in Outer Limits. It does make it interesting especially if you are not gaming your reloads.

·
Registered
7,051 Posts
)
Yup. And you have never shot any competition, at all, otherwise you would know.....

·
8,513 Posts
Rock, one of 8 SCSA stages, and they are the big plates. Not B zone sized. And I've shot that with a G17 without sights... Almost as fast as my Open Division gun.
Yup 18”x24”, and I do use sights.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Yup. And you have never shot any competition, at all, otherwise you would know.....
Ahh no, I've shot many many competitions, quite a diverse range of competitions, which is exactly how I know sight radius is important.

It seems your experience is very limited, to run and gun matches at 7 yards perhaps, where you don't need to use sights.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Ahh no, I've shot many many competitions, quite a diverse range of competitions, which is exactly how I know sight radius is important.
He'll be back to ask you for your credentials later lmao.

·
NRA Member
791 Posts
I like shooting mine every now and then, but I still prefer the slightly shorter G34. I keep a 17L around to complete my 9mm Glock "set", but were it not for that reason, mine would go away.

My factory-ported Gen1 17L:

View attachment 429248
That’s a very desirable Gen 1 ported 17L.

Reactions: Mr.Black

·
Super Moderator
19,787 Posts
That’s a very desirable Gen 1 ported 17L.
Thanks.

It's a cool old Glock, but is less collectible because I don't have the box or accessories, plus it's been fired around 800-1000 rounds (although much of that was through a factory non-ported barrel I bought later). I have a soft spot for older Glocks, and this was nice match for me, wanting a "shooter-grade Gen1 17L".

·
Combat Diver
3,362 Posts
I have a 17L that I bought as it was a good deal. I would gladly trade it for a G 34 MOS.

·
8,513 Posts
Rock, one of 8 SCSA stages, and they are the big plates. Not B zone sized. And I've shot that with a G17 without sights... Almost as fast as my Open Division gun.
The 17L was developed by Glock for competitive distances. How the Tool is used and it’s best application might be best answered by attempted users.

The missed theme here though is this is General Glocking not a Forum for Competition or one to solicit such. I constantly see frustration with people in your responses, the responses try to help but often come across not so much today.

Making a transition to a casual shooter for you may be too hard, time spent may be more productive in the Competition Forum or Brian Enos Forum.

·
Registered
287 Posts
One thing to consider for those saying that the draw is too long and too slow for it to be a carry gun.

Anyone using a surefire 300 has on a regular 17 has the same OAL as a 17L.

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
I like my gen2 and 3 Glocks, I guess one of these days I'll have to move up.
On second thought I bet they will outlast me, and will probably get passed on to my Grandkids.

Reactions: buster55

·
Registered
7,429 Posts
Glock had a short new run of 17L, I got mine earlier this year. A good shooter.

·
Registered
14 Posts
It is all a matter of opinion. My wife and I enjoy shooting our 17L's more than our 34's.
I have a Gen 1 ported an a Gen 2. My 6 year old loves the ported one. It's a great range gun for new shooters. An the wife an kids will run them at the next DE GSSF match.
Don't let your dogs loose to chase the horses while the wife is riding. She carries the Gen2 17L an won't miss. If you can wait, a Gen 5 17L is coming. (Sooner then latter I hope.)
How does the extra weight of the 6" barrel affect a woman's ability to properly sight & shoot the G17?

Do a woman's arms get tired too quickly to finish something like a 30-shot "Concealed Carry" course exam when shooting the G17?

Thanks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The weight difference is pretty small

625 g | 22.05 oz vs 675 g | 23.81 oz
Compared to a basic G17 [or a G34], does the G17L give you get a sense of a "torque" trying to drop the barrel - something a woman would have to fight, and which would her muscle fatigue?

21 - 40 of 81 Posts