GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to own a 17L and foolishly sold it. This was several years ago. I’m really wanting to replace the gun. They are available through online sales but I might wait until I see one in a shop or gun show. This will be a house/range gun.

Please share your thoughts and experiences regarding the 17L.

·
Proud NRA Life Patron Member, Life GSSF member
8,513 Posts
I used to own a 17L and foolishly sold it. This was several years ago. I’m really wanting to replace the gun. They are available through online sales but I might wait until I see one in a shop or gun show. This will be a house/range gun.

Please share your thoughts and experiences regarding the 17L.
I just bought a 6” glock 9mm barrel for my 17’s. From Glock I believe it was $169.00. Just saying it’s an option.

·
Proud NRA Life Patron Member, Life GSSF member
8,513 Posts
I just bought a 6” glock 9mm barrel for my 17’s. From Glock I believe it was $169.00. Just saying it’s an option.
Besides the recent purchase about 10 years ago I had a pair of 17L’s, I sold them to two team mates, who are friends.

You can add the 4.5 connector, extended mag and slide release to emulate what the 17L or 34 have. The sights that come with the 17L are not my first choice. I also do not need the added sight radius. Sooo if you have a 17 you might consider. Good Luck.

·
MacGyver
7,201 Posts
What's the question?

Other than being cartoonish in its morphed profile, it is a typical Glock. I like mine. For carry, would not be my first choice since clearing a holster will just be slightly more exaggerated motion and slightly slower, unless it is a leg holster. Home, or nightstand gun it is fine. Great for a movie gun. Because it is unique, or less common, may be priced at a premium compared to a regular G17

Reactions: DJ Niner

·
Registered
7,051 Posts
The G17L can't do anything better in competition that a plain old G17 can do. Plus it's not allowed in IDPA, and it would be Open in USPSA and SCSA.

Leg holsters are not allowed in any competition, and they are not faster than a straight drop belt holster. If you don't shoot competition, you wouldn't know the difference.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Wow, you'd think the OP is not allowed to own a 17L.

In all seriousness, if you want another one buy one.

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
I have a gen3 G-17L, and like it for a range Pistol.
It does not actually serve any purpose except that I like to shoot it. It would be fine as a night stand gun also.
I can't see any use to try and carry it, but you could, Some officers have carried 6" 357 Magnum Revolvers.
Dirty Harry carried a 6" 44 Mag Lol.
It would be lighter in a shoulder holster, but I would prefer the G-24, or G-40. Lol.

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the replies. I’m trying to convince myself that I *need* one. It would be a guilty pleasure gun. I’m retired now and don’t shoot as much as I used to. If I buy one it will be a range/house gun, no mods except for a set of Warren sights.

And I don’t buy guns based on aesthetics but the 17L has to be the ugliest Glock ever made.

·
Banned
6,833 Posts
If you like long-slide Glocks and would consider using a substantial caliber, consider the one that has real purpose over shorter versions...the G40. :)

But even that one will need prompt replacement of its standard flimsy OEM adjustable rear sight.

·
MacGyver
7,201 Posts
Ugly depends on the trend...notice the big sunglasses, tight/short suits, Ugg boots, bushy long beards and flannel, tattoos...all in the up-cycle.

The MULLET is still actually worn by real people, not just in movies like "Dirty Harry" and "Walking Dead".

So the 17L could become trendy if one was used in a Bond or Marvel movie...perhaps.

You want one.

Reactions: pgg00

·
NRA Life Member
28,670 Posts
Here is mine.
17L_1.jpg

Reactions: Mr.Black

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Mine has over 5k rounds through it in the last couple three years. I've never had anyone walk up to me and say what a dumbass, I can't believe you bought a 17L.

20171221_172130_resized.jpg

·
Registered
367 Posts
I have a Gen 1 ported an a Gen 2. My 6 year old loves the ported one. It's a great range gun for new shooters. An the wife an kids will run them at the next DE GSSF match.
Don't let your dogs loose to chase the horses while the wife is riding. She carries the Gen2 17L an won't miss.

If you can wait, a Gen 5 17L is coming. (Sooner then latter I hope.)

·
Registered
7,051 Posts
Not quite.

The longer sight radius of the 17L is an advantage on more distant targets.
You'll never see a target further than 20 yards in IDPA/USPSA or Steel Challenge. It there happened to be a B Zone steel at 35 yards the G17L would have an advantage. But having had 2 of them in the last 20 years, I still prefer the G17s. And when you put a dot on any Glock, the sight radius no longer matters because dots are target focused.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts