Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search on here and got to many results. Plus I have been a lurker for some time and have not seen this though I am betting it is very common.

I have a stock G17c that I have fired probably 10k rounds through with no issues. I noticed while cleaning it a few days ago that as I pull the trigger the slide goes back about 1/8th to 1/4 an inch until the pin drops and then it goes back to position.

I had heard that this is indicative of a worn recoil spring. So I went down to my gunshop and bought a oem replacement. Installed it last night and have the same issue. So I cleaned the heck out of the gun thinking something was just sticking and same deal.

The only other issue I can think of is that the guy at the gun shop said that the spring is the same on all full size glocks. I know a little about glocks but have never looked that up.

Do I have an underpowered spring or is this a symptom of something else. Thanks for you help in advance.

·
20,432 Posts
It's really not anything to worry about. Trust me on this.

·
20,432 Posts
You may have a NY1 trigger in one that does it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Maybe DannyR is right. I just called glock. Talked to a technician.

This is odd. He said "well its the first that I have heard of that, but if it is functioning it should be fine" I don't know that I like that answer. That's like saying my car pulls to the left but since it goes down the highway it should be fine!?!?!?

So I called back to gunshop and talked to a glock armorer and he wants me to bring it in. He said he was guessing but maybe the barrel isnt seated? Anyways,,, I will bring it in tomorrow and repost.

BUT if anyone has any more input on this I would appreciate it becuase that just seems odd to me.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
sounds like a KB waiting to happen....I'm not a expert but I wouldnt want to fire a gun that is coming out of battery.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi all. So I went down to my shop and the gunsmith was out. However, a nice enough guy behind the counter said that I could come back in a few days when the smith was in. He asked to look at it so I showed him my glock. After I demonstrated him doing it he said he thinks it is just dirty.

Well, that was hard to argue with as it was filthy as I noticed it while out shooting and I didnt want to clean it until I had someone look at it so that I could demonstrate the issue. He then held onto the slide, pulled the trigger 9/10 ths back and was able to dry fire it without the slide moving. So I thought "hmmmm maybe it just is REALLY dirty".

Nope, went home, cleaned the hell out of it (and I mean you could eat off the inside of this gun) and it is still doing it.

What I find interesting (and hoping you can give me some input) is that if you hold the slide and pull trigger back then release slide it stays put and fires. But on the next pull and every thereafter, the slide comes back about 1/8 an inch.

This cant be right. Any opinions

·
RetiredDinosaur
11,583 Posts
You said it's a 'stock' G17C......Have you changed anything on the gun from it's original condition? Like replacing the firing pin spring?

Maybe 10,000 rounds through it? Has the slide ever been detail stripped and cleaned? Might be time for it if not.

:patriot:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The only think I have replaced is the guide rod spring.

I have detail strip cleaned it several times. And after last night, you could use the slide as a straw (which gives me a whole new idea for some merchandise).

I could look at the firing pin spring to see if that is holding it up. If I dont get a solution pretty soon, I am going to call glock again, or replace all the internals.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
FIXED IT! :supergrin:

I wasnt going to post this because it may make me sound like an idiot, but I appreciate everyone offering so much help so I thought I would share. I called Glock again and this time I got a competent technician that said "thats not normal and sounds like there is an obstruction with the firing pin. send it in and we will take care of it"

Well, I was going to, but it was bothering me, so I tore apart my glock one more time. Here is what I found. On the firing pin, there was a black plastic tube surrounding the spring. I never noticed it before, it looks factory and it fits inside the housing. BUT, it was causing my spring to bind.

I looked at my other glock and pictures online and I dont see that.

Is that strange or what?!?!?!? Anyone else have something like this in theirs?

Took it out, problem solved. Am I an idiot and all glocks have this or did I get a mystery part put in my glock at some point?

·
GLOCK 20SF 10MM
639 Posts
FIXED IT! :supergrin:

I wasnt going to post this because it may make me sound like an idiot, but I appreciate everyone offering so much help so I thought I would share. I called Glock again and this time I got a competent technician that said "thats not normal and sounds like there is an obstruction with the firing pin. send it in and we will take care of it"

Well, I was going to, but it was bothering me, so I tore apart my glock one more time. Here is what I found. On the firing pin, there was a black plastic tube surrounding the spring. I never noticed it before, it looks factory and it fits inside the housing. BUT, it was causing my spring to bind.

I looked at my other glock and pictures online and I dont see that.

Is that strange or what?!?!?!? Anyone else have something like this in theirs?

Took it out, problem solved. Am I an idiot and all glocks have this or did I get a mystery part put in my glock at some point?
Amature gunsmithing is what makes real gunsmiths rich!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, I told you I was an idiot.

So I did some research now on the channel liner and I will bet you that I had the beveled side facing the wrong way and thats why it was binding.

Regarding the other comment about "amateur gunsmithing makes professionals rich" You bet, thats why I do all my own work on my Harley :rofl:

·
Private side
11,647 Posts
The only time I had anything of this sort happen was when i was trying to set a gun up for competition and put in a lighter aftermarket recoil spring. It was so light, when I pulled the trigger, the slide came back. I guess that means the recoil spring was lighter than the trigger spring :dunno:. I have gone back to stock.

·
RetiredDinosaur
11,583 Posts
Well, I told you I was an idiot.

So I did some research now on the channel liner and I will bet you that I had the beveled side facing the wrong way and thats why it was binding.
How did you get it out the first time?

:patriot:

·
Banned
2,007 Posts
as I pull the trigger the slide goes back about 1/8th to 1/4 an inch until the pin drops and then it goes back to position.
What do you mean when you say "the pin drops"?

Sounds to me like you might have the wrong trigger bar or firing pin safety installed. The trigger bar flange that depresses the firing pin safety could be hanging on the firing pin safety and dragging the slide back a little before it slides over the firing pin safety. If you hold the slide with your hand as you pull the trigger bar over the firing pin safety, the recoil spring is able to hold the slide in place. Or as Bama Trooper said.. it could be a weak recoil spring.

Edit: Oh, I guess you should put the channel liner back in properly and see if everything works.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts