close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock 17: would you buy Gen3, Gen4, Used, or Wait?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by grayi6, Jun 12, 2012.

Tags:
  1. grayi6

grayi6

Good morning everyone,

I purchased my first pistol 15 years ago and have regretted ever since that it wasn't a Glock!! So I am now ready to right that wrong, but find myself wading through hundreds of webpages trying to figure out what to buy.

I'm not sure how overblown or real the issues really are, but I do know that I want a Glock 17 that is incredibly reliable. It will stay bone stock for as long as I own it.

Reliability and durability are the top priority.

I will buy this at Bud's Showroom. They have models in stock and I can live with either a Gen 3 or 4. As a lefty I'd prefer a Gen 4.

So could you please weigh in with your opinion? If you were me and wanted the most reliable/durable stock Glock 17, what would you buy?

Gen3
    Gen4
    Used Gen3
    Wait a few more months for a Gen4

2. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

Personally, I'd sober up first before I bought anything. ;)

That said, my strong preference would be for a used third generation G-17 in the mid serial number range. Other than cosmetics, used doesn't matter in a Glock. The polymer frame, probably, isn't going to start deteriorating in your lifetime; and, for most shooters, it takes awhile (and a bit of expense) to get up to, or past, 75 thousand rounds. So if it, otherwise, looks good used is OK.

(Remember, there ain't nothing inside a Glock that can't be updated. If I were to buy a used Glock, all I'd do is change the springs and order a few extra slide lock springs and a spare slide stop - That's it! You're, now, 'good as new'.)

I'm ambidextrous. I don't have any trouble, at all, running a third generation Glock. It's just a matter of what you teach yourself to do. Thumb or trigger finger doesn't matter to me. You might want to checkout Ed's Public Safety, too.

3. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

A used Gen2 would be nice, but for new I vote for the Gen4.

4. Cwlongshot

Cwlongshot

I much prefer a good used gen3.

CW

5. Lowjiber

Lowjiber

"Wait"???? What are you going to wait for????

I understand the first few options, but "wait" doesn't make sense to me.

6. SJ 40

SJ 40 Deplorable,Clinger

I know I will not purchase any thing made after 2006, Gen 1,Gen 2, Gen 3 made prior to 2006,all good,JMO. SJ 40

7. maestrogustav

maestrogustav

I'm among the masses who have bought a new Gen4 17 and had nothing but joy.

Mine was test fired early March 2012.

I can say that's my vote, since I voted with my feet and my wallet.

8. dajcarroll

dajcarroll

You'll be happy with any Glock you buy. New or used, Any Gen. My 19 I bought new (made in 2012), and my 37 was used (made in 03). Both of them run like champions. My 37 is actually my home defense gun. If I were to buy a 17 my first preference would be new. I like breaking in my own guns, but I wouldn't pass on a good used one either.

G19 - Gen 3
    G37 - Gen 3

9. kodiakpb

kodiakpb

Buy the new Gen 4 17.

Purchasing used, or within a SN range is ridiculous.

10. shockglock

shockglock

I bought a gen4 17 test fire date in Sept 0f 2011. Had ejection problems and sent her back to Glock to get updated parts installed and shoots like a dream now. No more issues at all just a sweet shooting gun. I say get the gen4 17.

11. stolenphot0

stolenphot0 RTF2 Addict

I bought 2 used Glocks and one brand new. They all function as new. If you find a great deal on a used one, then go for it, otherwise get a new Gen4 17.

12. plouffedaddy

plouffedaddy

I've had 5 Gen4 9mm guns---only 1 had an issue. If you could only get one though I'd probably vote for a pre-2010 Gen3 17. But, I'd feel comfortable buying a new one as well :dunno:

13. Wake County Glockman

Wake County Glockman

Glocks hold their value, having said that I myself would opt for a 2nd gen G 17, I've never had one to fail. My brother wanted a Glock but didn't have much knowledge; because he has done so much for me I gifted him my 2nd gen Glock 19 (the last one Mark sold from Summit Gunbroker back in 2008) the slide has been to Glock and has been refinished and the inner workings inspected and refirbished, needless to say this was my baby and I didn't realize this until I waved good bye:crying:I finally found a replacement 3 months later April 14th of this year. My brother couldn't handle the Criminson Trace Laser so he gave me the laser back and I put it on my newest acquisition. my Glock Family <read my signatere line>

Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
  14. bam1131

bam1131

My first Glock was a 17 gen 4 that was made in February. I've had zero issues. It has been 100% reliable. It's the gun that built the Glock empire!

15. chemboy

chemboy

I would look for either a very recent production gen4 G17 or try and find a used Gen3-perhaps an older one?-say 2008 or earlier. Just me 2 cents!

Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
  16. GThirtyTwo

GThirtyTwo Amor patriae

I'd vote for a used Gen 3, based solely on price, but I would have no issues with a new or used Gen 4.

17. erkman

erkman Sleepy Member

18. Alcoy

Alcoy

My vote is for Gen4. I bought G17 with PPPXXX serial number. No problems of any kind. Fits my hand better than Gen3.

don't wait for another 15 years, ;-).

19. 1eyedjack

1eyedjack Old Pirate

My G17 Gen4 was test fired on 2/20/12, serial# SLR XXX and has been flawless for over 1K rounds of various weights, brands and types of ammo. Love the grip and extended mag release on the Gen4.

Added Trijicon HD sights, extended slide stop and polished up the trigger parts. I consider it good to go...

20. grayi6

grayi6

Sorry I didn't make that clear. And I guess I was trying to steer clear of the whole Gen 4 debate. What I would want to wait for is to be 100% sure the Gen 4 product that is in the pipeline had all of the latest and greatest hardware changes in place.

I want to spend $600 with confidence knowing I am not sending this pistol back to the armorer for upgrades.

Since I'm buying at Bud's and I believe they are a huge volume dealer, I suspect they will have pretty recent stock.

Thank you for all the input, it is very helpful.