close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock 17 with Berdan primer ammo??

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by tnstaafl, Apr 4, 2010.

Tags:
  1. tnstaafl

tnstaafl

I picked up a LEO surplus G17 - I field stripped it and gave it a good cleaning - my first time at the range with it yesterday, I experienced a few jams - FTE, I think it's called. I was thinking that, being it's a used gun, I just needed to replace one or more of the ejector components, but now I'm wondering if it's related to the Berdan primers??

The ammo is military surplus - "Caliber 9mm Ball (9x19) MK 2Z, SMC, FMJ ammunition. Mfg. P.O.F. in 80's. Brass cases, Non-Corrosive, Berdan. 124 grs." - I had issues with some 7.62x39 mil surp ammo that had Berdan primers in my AR-15, and I had to mod the firing pin and get a heaver hammer spring so the rounds would get harder strikes - the AR runs fine now.

I bought the ammo for a FA gun I have - I'm having some magazine problems with it - now I'm wondering if the ammo is suspect?

Any suggestions?

2. skyugo

skyugo

FTE is a failure to eject.
    if you mean a failure to fire, yes it could be your striker spring. you also may have some gunk built up in the firing pin channel. make sure the firing pin rattles around freely with the firing pin safety depressed (that little silver button on the bottom of the slide)

3. Njanear

Njanear Nagant-ophile

I don't believe the POF (Pakistani) ammo is considered being anywhere close to 'reliable' ammo, as I have seen several posts of issues with it on different forums (IIRC, there were varying reports of weak or dead primers and some case issues). Of course, these are just reports posted on the Internet - but based on that, even I gave it a wide berth (and I like buying cheap ammo :embarassed:).

I would recommend that you pick up some WWB or Federal and give that a try to rule out the ammo concern, before you start replacing parts.

4. DEADLYACCURATE

DEADLYACCURATE Senior Member

This.

Get it at walmart. It's around $10 for 50. Just in case you didn't know.

5. tinman517

tinman517

Surplus G17 . . . If it is used . . . Have you performed a detail strip of the slide assembly? Be sure to remove the firing pin and clean any carbon build up, which may be present on the firing pin and the firing pin channel.

6. tnstaafl

tnstaafl

Thanks for all the good suggestions, guys - I picked up some ammo at WalMart - WWB (13.47) and Federal (9.47) - I'm gonna grab some Monarch at Academy this morning. I will detail strip the slide following tinman517's suggestion, and then the next time to the range I'll try the G17 with all three types of ammo and see how it goes.

The folks I bought the mil surp ammo from are willing to take it back - and they pay return shipping, too!