close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock 17 w/o Trigger Spring

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Norbert, Jul 6, 2002.

Tags:
  1. Norbert

Norbert

This is about something quite weird, and I hope that somebody has experience with such an occurence:

After owning and using my (used) first generation G17 I decided after putting today some 400+ rounds through it to clean it up completely, i.e not only field stripped but also firing pin and trigger mechanism.

Everything went smooth until I disassembled the trigger: To my surprise there is a New York connector installed. This was by no means indicated to me by the vendor and it sure never felt like one when I was firing or dry training the gun.

Now, that is not too fantastic, there are for sure tons of G17s with NY triggers installed. What seems to be quite unusual to mee is that MINE IS WITHOUT A SPRING.

Obviously there is the Y formed part which surrounds the spring which should be seated on a kind of guiding rod, but the spring itself is not there.

My question: Is there a NY Version without a spring (I repeat, my Glock works just fine, the spring tension seems to be replaced by the elasticity of the plastic part itself. The gun seems to perfectly safe.

Should I continue to use it? If I have to insert a spring: are there different ones? Do they affect the trigger pull? Where do I get them??

I'll appreciate all your help.

Happy glocking,
    Norbert

2. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

The original NY springs had a black, leaf spring instead of a coiled spring. You may have ano old NY trigger spring.

3. Norbert

Norbert

OK, that´s interesting.

Referring to the glock explosion drawing in the right lower cornert is a drawing of the part I have. I seem to have the part itself but not the also drawn spring. This leaf spring was a second part or is it kind of integrated. What I have is just plain plastic??

Thanks a lot for your help,

Norbert

4. Quack

Quack Rent this space

the black one is the older one. i recall reading somewhere that Glock re-designed them with a coil spring for reliability reasons or something like that...
    i have a few of the old and new style NY springs.

5. Norbert

Norbert

Ok, thanks a lot, I start to get the picture. So this means that there are NY triggers without a spring, but most probably are outdated? The part I have is black. In order to install a "normal" 5.5lb Glock trigger what do I need to bouy and where can I get it??

It seems that there are much more Glock trigger designs than I thought...

Thanks a lot for your kind help,

Norbert

6. WalterGA

WalterGA Millennium Member

You just need a "standard" trigger spring, which you can get at topglock.com or Lonewolf Distributors.

You might want to check the connector 2 C if it's a standard connector.

7. G23NCB

G23NCB Armorer/Member

Norbert, I have seen on occasion the coil spring on a NY-1 trigger spring pop loose and fall from the gun. The plastic may have enough tension to reset the trigger now but in time it will give up. I suggest replacing it ASAP so you will not have to worry about the weapon goin lame when you most need it. You can purchase factory springs from Glockparts.com for just a few bucks. I hope this helps....

8. G23NCB

G23NCB Armorer/Member

For a standard trigger you need 5.0 # connector and a 5.0 " S " coil spring.

9. Quack

Quack Rent this space

the black NY springs that i have has a metal "leaf" type spring in it, it's not just plastic. it follows the underside

10. Norbert

Norbert

@ all,

thanks a lot for your kind help, especially the online sources for the spare parts. I am going to order what I need right now in order to be back in business asap.

Thanks again and have a nice weekend,

Norbert