close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock 17 vs Springfield XD-9

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by RamShooter, Sep 23, 2004.

Tags:
  1. RamShooter

RamShooter

Hey everyone, this is my first post on this forum, so I thought I'd make it about something productive such as searching for a new 9mm pistol. Right now I have two handguns, one a S&W model 10 and the other a Beretta 92FS that I carry concealed. Yeah I know the Beretta's big, but I still get away with carrying rather nicely.

I'm looking at either a Glock 17 or a Springfield XD-9 service model for range work, but also as a backup CCW gun incase my Beretta becomes unoperational. It's a very reliable gun, but NOTHING is unsusceptable to failure.

Anyone here have opinions on either? I like the G17 because of the long barrel, but like the Springfield because of its bi-tone finish and the grip safety.

Decisions decisions, they just never end. ;9

2. chevrofreak

chevrofreak Senior Member

Dont get the Glock. If you do it will become your new carry gun.

3. Keifer

Keifer

I examined an XD9 and was very surprised that the rear rails on the lower were not made of steeel but were polymer.........the only steel rails on the gun were the front ones

The XD9 used to be called the HS200 and they were made in Croatia. Springfield bought the rights and stamped their name on it - and raised the price alot..

I also did not like the extractor on the top of the gun........

Personally I would avoid it...

4. chevrofreak

chevrofreak Senior Member

That is just the loaded chamber indicator. The XD uses an internal spring steel extractor similar to that of the 1911.

5. smrkdown

smrkdown

Held one, didn't fire one. Everybody I asked says they're great. The 4 inch service model felt a little top-heavy to me (even though it weighs only 3 oz. more than the G17). The grip feels a bit more natural than the glock (but I like the Glock grip). They cost a bit less than the Glock... I'd still go for the Glock.

6. rgv

rgv

I looked at both and went glock. I plan to begin shooting ipsc production, so that pretty much sealed things.

In your case, I think the XD is a better choice because the grip angle and feel is more similar to your Beretta.

7. MrFarkle

MrFarkle

"if" there is a range or store near where you are that rents guns,
    shoot both,that should help you determine which one.

Personally....I'd take the Glock17!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. ElectricZombie

ElectricZombie

I've shot both guns quite a bit. I chose the G17 because it has a solid reputation for reliability. The XD is a nice gun, but seems to have a lot of features that I don't want or need. I still might pick one up though...I like the grip angle and think they have a neat look about them.

9. dan_s

dan_s

When I bought my XD, I was out shopping for the Glock I had always wanted. I like you was looking for a backup for my Sig. I preffered the overall feel of the XD over the Glock, the grip angle felt more natural, and I preffered the XD trigger. I carry this as much as my Sig now..

10. G-30Jet

G-30Jet

I just bought another glock today, a 17. After looking at the xd-9 I decided not to purchase based on the fact that the Glock 17 is the Glock of Glocks.

I took it home and completely stripped it down, cleaned it and lubed before reassembly. I then loaded up 2 17 round L.E. mags and 1 33 round mag that I also purchased today. I then proceded to fire 250 rounds of 115 gr. ball and 150 rounds of 124 grain H.P. all reloads.

As a finish up I fired 30 rounds of 125 gr. corbon. ALL rounds went downrange without a hitch. The only mod. was a slight drifting of the rear sight. I then returned home and recleaned the 17 and the mags, did a 25 cent polish job on the trigger and poilished the feed ramp.

Done deal. The Glock 17 really is the optimum nine millimeter. I could not be happier!

Oh yeah all the rounds hit in the center,upper 1/3 of the feed ramp. You might say it was the tightest grouping of feedway markings I have ever seen in a glock. The ejection pattern stacked brass, and empties hit the ejection port in exactly the same spot, a very small spot at the junction of the inner edge of the port.( kind of wierd)
    ;b ;b ;g

11. pointnopoint

pointnopoint

not to be biased or anything :), but i would go for the g17. i just love the way that they shoot, and mine has been 100% relaible. another thing that you should consider is that the xd's are, from what ive heard, a little harded to find holsters for. the xd is a great shooting gun, but i think they are a little bulky, and the finish's are not nearly as good as glocks.

12. DocH

DocH Man of Sorrows

The G17 has long proven track record for durability and reliability.The XD does not. That's no damnation of the XD,just saying it's got a ways to go yet before it can be rated with the Glock. People who have them seem to like them,and that says a lot for the pistol.
    Unlike some people,I personally fine the grip angle of the Glocks more natural for me,but that again,is a subjective issue.
    I don't think you would go wrong with an XD,but I know without a doubt that you won't go wrong with a G17.

13. GlockGuy24

GlockGuy24

I would go with the Glock 17. Period

14. bac1023

bac1023

I owned an XD subcompact 9mm. The G26 is a better gun. The XD has its good points, but compared to the G26, its blocky, heavy, and lesser in quality IMO.

15. cole

cole Millennium Member

Glock 17.

The Glock is a time-proven design. The G17 works every time, is accurate, feeds anything, is low-maintenance, is easy to clean and works well if uncleaned, is very comfortable to shoot and has more readily available parts and accessories available.

I prefer the XD grip, but that's about it. Having not shot one, I cannot comment on how it performs. The recent hubub over them reminds me of the Steyr; came and went. I find the XD offers nothing overall in advantage over the G17.

For a target/plinker/range 9mm gun, our G17 fits this role perfectly. For this role, I think the G17 is hard to beat.

16. RamShooter

RamShooter

Thanks for the responses guys. At this point, I definately seem to be leaning more towards the Glock. I just prefer the longer barrel and the overall finish. And since its a more common firearm, it'd be easier to find help fixing it if something were to go wrong.

I don't know how long its gonna be, but I'll try to post pics when I obtain my new piece. ;a

17. buellxb9rider

buellxb9rider

i had an xd.didnt have such great luck after quite a few rounds.get the glock youll never regret it.plus itll be worth more used if you have to sell it.don't believe the xd hype.

18. duncan

duncan Lifetime Member Millennium Member

G17 is the classic.

The XD does not have a history of going 100K plus rounds.

As to grip safety, it's plastic - it can break.

19. danguzorek

danguzorek

Heres a response, not one like most, i actually have had both guns. The XD was the first gun i ever bought it felt good it was the right price and shot reliably. I carried the xd for 2 years and did not feel uder powered at all. Eventualy i sold out and bought the glock to be cool. The glock is just as good if not better of a gun neither gun ever jammed on me or gave me any problems. I now carry a g23c and it is woderful the only thing that i like better is the grip on the springfield is more like that of a 1911 and i find it more comfertable. Also the XD with a full mag is pretty well balanced. I sold it to a freind for $200 and have tried to buy it back many times to no avail, oh well both guns are great like someone else mentioned shoot both then pick.

PS: the grip saftey causes no problems."is going to break" as some one said come on, Half of the whole gun is plastic.

Just my 2 cents

20. LittleFoot

LittleFoot

you're going to carry a full-size beretta AND a full-size glock? why not just shoulder-sling an ar-15?