Glock 17 vs Glock 45 results..

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by bitcoin, Jun 9, 2020.

1. bitcoin

bitcoin

So I've been running my g45 and G17 head to head at my local virtual shooting range. They offer simulation targets which have 8 different rounds and random bullseyes you have to hit to gain points. This is my third outing. I have yet to ever run my G45 better than my gen 5 G17. I really enjoy the G45 but for some reason, presumably the shorter sight radius, I am not as accurate. Also, the G17 has more of a "push" feeling to it and the G45 more of a "snap" from what I can tell. What I find interesting is that if I just shoot paper they are basically identical to me, but when you add in moving, random targets the 17 is no-brainer better.

Here's my results from today:

G17 score: 5435
    Shots fired: 40
    Targets hit: 36
    Accuracy: 90%

G45 score:5192
    Shots fired: 48
    Targets hit: 34
    Accuracy: 70.34%

P365 score: 4603
    Shots fired: 45
    Targets hit: 32
    Accuracy: 71.17%

I really love this G45, for some reason I am simply more accurate with the 17. I now am really curious how I'd shoot a G34. I do like the front serrations and the updates in the G17 FS model. I have the original G17, I might consider picking up a G17 FS an see how that runs. All in all, both are awesome, awesome firearms, but the G45 can't dethrone the G17 for now.

Curious to hear how those of you with the 45/17/34 think they all compare. These are not carry guns for me, I have a 26 and P365 for that. Strictly competition/home defense use.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
  2. Bigblue9

Bigblue9

Agree about the “push” vs “snap”. 17 is smoother and more balanced feeling to me.

I got a 45 because I already had a 19mos, and I liked the idea of swapping the MOS slide onto the 45 full grip frame. Options are nice.

bitcoin likes this.

3. TheDreadnought

TheDreadnought

That can’t be possible. When I asked about the purpose of the G45, everyone here insisted that sight radius doesn’t make a difference. Lol

4. bitcoin

bitcoin

Haha, yes, they convinced me to buy a G45 as well. Fun experiment at the very least...

5. OdinIII

OdinIII

Preach it. I’ve always said that if I shot a shorter pistol better than the long one then I’d walk away wondering what “I” was doing wrong. The possibility of it being the pistol would never cross my mind assuming they were equivalent quality/brand.

Also, it is a known fact that shorter and lighter recoils more. I guess you can tell that I like G34s, G35’s, G40’s, G48s, etc.

TheDreadnought likes this.
  6. OdinIII

OdinIII

My friend shot one match with his then sold it. He specifically told me that he really liked it then I show up the next month and he’s holding a 34. Lol

7. bitcoin

bitcoin

LOL. That is funny. I guess the honeymoon period wore off.

By the way, do you think I would like a 34 even more than a 17? Strictly for home defense purposes.

8. Bradd D

Bradd D

I gave the 45 a try, but sold it because it didn't do anything better than my Gen 4 17's and I hated the trigger.

9. OdinIII

OdinIII

Honestly I think you’ll like whichever one you decide to like or both! Both will work and work well.

I like the look of the longer guns and all the top shooters say that 34 is the softest shooting Glock available so I tend to believe them. I’m not sure soft equates to fast so I may be making the wrong choice with the G34.

I have multiple 34’s but I’m planning on putting together a G17.5 with an RMR soon to play with. I want to see how it bridges the gap between my carry G19.5 and competition G34.5’s. I wish there was a slam dunk RDS besides the RMR. I’m just no sold on any of the options out there.

10. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Private side

Size of targets? Distances? Sights the same? Which gun was shot first? Did you alternate? When you missed, were all the shots in the same direction?

GotWhatINeed and Lindenwood like this.
  11. bitcoin

bitcoin

I'd estimate 12 inches. There's 9 of them, 3x3. I'd guess I am about 8 yards away? Hard to say since it is all virtual. Identical sight setup on both guns, TLR-1 on both guns, right down to the talon grips.

12. Mr Meeseeks

Mr Meeseeks

The 19X/45 gamechanger magic is hype, plain and simple. There’s really no appreciable difference between a 45 and a 17. I like both, but any major performance differences are more likely shooter related. All things equal, the G17 is still the best all-around Glock made.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2020
  13. Spartan24

Spartan24

I got my 19X a while back and have just began to use it in competition. I will flat out say that it does NOT perform as well as my 34 did in the same capacity. So much so, that honestly... <looks around> it's on the chopping block... :eek:

14. OdinIII

OdinIII

But have you noticed the superior balance?

Lindenwood likes this.
  15. bigj480

bigj480 CLM

Longer sight radius means it's easier to fine-tune your aim. Enough to matter? It depends on what you are doing and your skill. For SD distances or at SD speed, I don't think it matters much. What are the details of the simulation you ran? A gun that's heavier at the end will recoil less obviously. Seams you should go with what you shoot well if you can.

16. Bradd D

Bradd D

Lol

17. venenoindy

venenoindy

I shoot my G17 Gen 5 (early production) better than anything else I tried (every Glock model).

TNT and bitcoin like this.
  18. bitcoin

bitcoin

Well that makes two of us! Tried them all but the 34. My only gripe is this front cutout, but I also don't want to mess with what appears to be just about perfect.

19. 153

I guess I must be a fudd , never heard of a “virtual”range... is this how folks are shooting these days?

I had something similar as a kid, my backyard was full of Indians, dinosaurs and German soldiers. I never missed!

Chris8111, Seaweed02 and Nanuk like this.
  20. bitcoin

bitcoin

Seems gimmicky but I love it.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MthZhj5csSw

Sgtthump, -JCN-, Lindenwood and 2 others like this.