close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock 17 vs. 34 Recommendation - why?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by o2golfpar, Jun 14, 2004.

Tags:
  1. o2golfpar

o2golfpar

I am in need of your advice, wisdom and recommendations.

My goal is to avoid the rookie mistake of buying the incorrect 9mm and being disappointed a year from now when at the range, or in the woods shooting.

The two models that I am considering are the 17 or the 34. The $100 cost difference is not an issue. The purpose of this gun is target shooting.

Which gun do you recommend 17 vs. 34 and why?

2. gudel

gudel

i'd get a G17. I like the shorter barrel. the longer glocks just don't look right.

3. o2golfpar

o2golfpar

Gudel

I am a legs man myself, but it’s not about looks.

It’s about accuracy, feel, and follow-up. Pulling the trigger and hitting the bull. Looks is subjective and I am pst that part in my decision.

Thanks.

4. ralphtt

ralphtt

The Glock 34 is a better pure target gun than the 17. Offers a longer sight radius, lighter trigger and is really designed as a "range gun".

'nuff said. :cool:

5. Big_Jim

Big_Jim

If you are "just" going to shoot tarets, then buy a nice .22. But as with most of us, our shooting branches out into other areas such as hunting, competition, home defense or CCW. I suggest the G17. Here are the reasons why I have not bought a longslide Glock. I use my gun (a G22 in this case) for home defense, CCW and IDPA. I have also carried it in the woods and have used it to kill game. For what I do I prefer the length/balance of the standard model and the standard 5lb trigger.
    The G34/35 are very good guns and will do everything that thay are supposed to. But they are designed mostly for competition, for everyday use the standard size seems to work the best.

6. Glock9MM

Glock9MM Is it a 9MM?

I'm basically going to echo the other comments so far. I've put thousands and thousands of rounds through our completely stock 17 (with the exception of factory installed night sights). It's a great pistol that is a lot of fun at the range. We haven't had a malfunction since the two in the first two hundred rounds - and the 17 has had many thousands of FMJ and many different types of HP ammo put through it since then. I just recently got a 34 and put two hundred rounds through it at the range yesterday. Along with the added slide length of the 34 you also get the lighter trigger and adjustable sights. If you're looking to just punch holes in paper as accurately as possible with a Glock, you'll probably not notice a huge difference between the 17 and the 34 if you are already a good shot to begin with. I think this decision is going to come down to whether or not you are going to carry the pistol eventually and whether or not you mind the look of the longer slide on the frame.

-Glock9MM

7. mleeber

mleeber

I would opt for the 34. I have a 17, 34, and 17L and although they all shoot very well, the balance and accuracy of the 34 is perfect for all around shooting. I have used all 3 in Glock Indoor matches and the 34 was by far my best score (496 of 500). The 17L was second and the 17 third. All 3 have the same internal components as far as connectors, springs, and polish jobs. The funny thing is that I tend to prefer the asthetics of the 17 but still shoot the 34 better, that says something.

As was mentioned in an earlier post, if your intention is concealed carry the 34 is not the choice for you but then I am not sure the 17 is either.

The best advice I can offer is to find a Range in your area on the Glock Range program and shoot both. My local range will let me try all the guns I want for $5.00, that is how I selected the G30 over the G36.

8. Michigun

Michigun Miss Michigan?

G34 all the way... it even makes a nice CCW gun.

My G34's are my main concealed carry GLOCKs & yes, I do own a few G17's as well, still choose the G34's over them for carry.

(The G34 is NO harder to conceal then the G17... they share the exact same frame!)

9. Polo

Polo Brave Babushka Millennium Member

as I don't CCW anyway (and never will in this GD state), but in every other aspect the 34 is a better gun IMHO. Very very happy with mine.
    As for 'looks', I do think the longslides actually appeal to me more than the standards ;)

10. cole

cole Millennium Member

I think the G34 serves a fairly specific purpose - target shooting - which it does very well I'm told. For open carry size does not matter. If you are small framed, CCW will be a challenge.

The G17 is a better all-around choice. It will be very near G34 accuracy, it's smaller and is the "standard" Glock ensuring readily available cheap parts. It can be more easily CCW, though it's large too by CCW standards.

For a great all-around, out-in-the-woods, general purpose, "range beater" gun I'd choose the G17. If special purpose target shooting is your game, I'd go G34 as first choice and G17 as a very close second.

We could not be more happy with our G17.

11. Short Cut

Short Cut PatrioticMember CLM

For target shooting I'd go with the G34. If you can find a range that rents guns try them both. They are pretty similar so it's not like one is going to be a whole bunch different than the other.

Before I bought a 9mm Glock I rented a G19, G17 and G34 and found that I like the longer sight radius and better trigger of the G34, but that's just me.

12. arnold ziffle

arnold ziffle aka dingle

i have a 17 a 34 and a 19. the 17 is an early 1st gen i bought used . the 34 i bought used from a member of this board. the 19 is the only i bought new. all shoot well but after breakin i have to give the accuracy nod to the 19. i still dont know which one i like best. as i said the 34 i got was used but looked like very few rounds through it.the groups were disapointing. i pyt a carver mount and a dot sight and benchrested it and the groups didnt get any better. after about 500 rds it started to shoot well and is getting better.i was suprised at the improvement after my 500 rds and who knows how many rds before that. couldnt have been many. my 19 out of the box ,for the first 50 rds , would group about 3.5 at 20 yards.then it started to group smaller . it now had the 4 and 1 syndrome. shooting four groups of five at 20 yds i had a 2 inch group and 4 holes touching 1 inch low and 1 inch left. all the first round in the group.after about 300 or so rds tha 4 and one went away as it will with 99 per cent of pistols. now the 34 and 19 will shoot 2 or under at 20 yds with nice round groups. mt advice is pick the one you like and have at it and it will get better with use. you will probably buy the other one later as these things are addicting. enjoy.

13. Michigun

Michigun Miss Michigan?

Just to clear-up the above statement...

The only parts in/on a G34 that you can’t borrow singly from the G17 are the barrel & slide, (you can borrow both of them together however) & each of those are rarely considered just ‘parts’… in other words, both the G17 & the G34 have exactly the same parts as each other except for their barrels & slides. (The G34 doesn’t need an extended slide stop, extended mag catch or 3.5 connector to function… example: Neither of my G34’s have those extended parts... both use the standard ones.)

Seeing how the grip, for most carry options, is the hardest thing to hide, a G34 isn’t any harder to conceal then the G17! (They both share the exact same frame.) In other words, if you can conceal a belt carried G17 you can conceal a belt carried G34. (Concealment isn’t of interest to o2golfpar anyway.)

14. CCV

CCV Millennium Member

I have a G17 & a G34. I use both, I like both.

Handle both models and choose the one YOU like best. You won't go wrong with either.

15. o2golfpar

o2golfpar

Great comments and recommendations all. I truly appreciate you sharing your thoughts and experience and helping me avoid a rookie mistake. I will be heading out this weekend and getting the G34.

Now recommendations for ammo…..wwb, or umc? Maybe blazer or S & B? I will start with some boxes of 50 and go from there.

Thanks again and see you at the range, in the woods or on the golf course.

16. Glock9MM

Glock9MM Is it a 9MM?

Personally, I've found UMC to be some of the dirtiest, most inconsisten stuff I've shot. WWB value packs are all we shoot for 9MM now, and we haven't had any problems after thousands of rounds of the stuff. While I've never fired their 9mm ammunition, I've heard good things about S+B. We've never had a problem with their .45 ammo.

17. Valor1

Valor1 Range Bum

My friend resolved the problem of choosing by buying G17 pistol and then a G34 upper assembly. Now he's got the best of both worlds. He likes to carry the G17 setup almost everywhere though.

18. cl147

cl147 I dig SIG

For practice and competiton, I shoot Winchester White Box exclusively.

19. striderglock

striderglock HVACR

CCI Blazer or Winchester value pack will do just fine and save you $$'s. I find CCI cleaner, but it will vary lot to lot.

20. Glenairguy

Glenairguy

Both models shoot more accurately than most people. I don't think that you will be able to tell the difference. The small difference is on individual pistols, some 17's shoot better than some 34's and vice versa. The difference is on balance and feel. They both use the same grip but, the 34 has a longer slide and barrel which will give you a different sight picture and recoil feel. The choice would be a personal preference. Test both and make your choice, or get one of each.