close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock 17 vs, 24 For IDPA

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by 1glock, Feb 29, 2004.

Tags:
  1. 1glock

1glock

I apologize if this subject is a dead horse around here.

I have been shooting IDPA for few years and currently rank Expert-CDP, Expert-ESP and Marksman-SSR. In six month I'll be shooting the qualifier in SSP and have decided to do it with a Glock. I'm looking to get a Glock pistol soon and would like your opinion as to which model would be better for this task. My question to you is which would be better to use... the 17 or the 34 and why? I see the advantage of the 3 1/2 lb trigger with the 34 while I would be limited tot he 5 lb trigger with the 17.

Thank you.

2. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

The trigger pull weight has nothing to do with the connector rating. A 3.5 lb connector, depending on the gun, may yield an actual measured trigger of 4.5 to 6 lbs. Any Glock will accept any combination of connectors and springs. You have the 3.5, 5 and 8 lb connectors, with the 5, 8 and 12 lb springs. The 5 is a tension spring, and the 8 and 12 are compression. A G34/35 comes with a 5 lb tension spring and a 3.5lb connector. You could put this combo into any Glock with slightly different results... The G34/35 is the largest Glock you can get into the IDPA box. Other than that, what's the advantage, where, by their own rules, 95% of all shots must be within 15 yards?

3. MarkP

MarkP

If I were to go back to a 9mm and IDPA SSP , I would get the 17.
    You can replace the stock connector with the 3.5# .
    There aren't that many shots past 15 yds that would require the longer sight radius of the 34.
    Exception is the classifier.
    All it really needs is a decent set a sights.
    And most important for me -
    It also serves as a better carry gun vs. the 34.

4. Mtrclass

Mtrclass

There are advantages with both guns and need to decide which would work better for you.

The G17 is lighter and the weight is centered more towards your hands which make it faster to index from target to target and maybe a little faster out of the holster. A lighter pistol however will have a little more recoil, and will feel a little less steady. The shoter slide also has a shorter sight radis.

The G34 is a little heavier and has a more muzzle heavy feel to it. It will tend to be a little slower on target to target indexing or at least will require a little more strength to start and stop wjile indexing. The extra weight and longer slide tends to slow the draw down a little because of the weight and you have to bring the gun up a little higher to clear the holster. However the extra length and weight will make the gun feel a little steadier. Also the longer sight radis makes it little easier mechnically to algin the sights.

You should try both guns and see which you like the feel of best. The top shooters are split between the two guns and matches, large and small, have been won with both.

For what its worth I much prefer the G17........

5. 1glock

1glock

Thank you all for your replies.
    I decided on the G-17 and got one today with the fixed sights. I also ordered a spare mag (3 total) and Uncle Mike's molded kydex belt holster and mag pouch. I have to get started with my practice since the next match will be this Saturday.

6. murph2127

murph2127

Ought to point out the main difference between the two is sight radius. The weight difference is only 0.88 oz (22.04oz for G17 and 22.92oz for G34) The G34 has a rather large slot milled in the slide for reasons of slide speed and such.
    Ted