close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock 17 vs. 19

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by theskyiscrying, May 15, 2011.

Tags:
  1. theskyiscrying

theskyiscrying

Looking for my first Glock.
    Me and the wife love to shoot and currently do not have a handgun.

I'm thinking about a 9mm model so that the ammo costs don't get out of hand. Also will be used for home defense. Will probably not CCW.

With this in mind, I'm thinking of the 17 or 19.

What are the differences?
    Accuracy?
    Comfort holding?
    Weight loaded?

Thanks for the insight.

Last edited: May 15, 2011
  2. KiloBravo

KiloBravo NRA Life Member

Welcome! If you don't plan to carry the gun, might as well get the 17, as long as it fits you well for the additional capacity and longer sight radius. I just started carry a G17 because I have large hands and I shoot the larger guns more accurately.

Good luck and enjoy whatever you choose!

3. James Dean

James Dean

If it were me I would go with a G19 Gen4. You can also change out the backstrap if you wife needs a smaller grip. I own a G17 gen4 and a G19 Gen3. I like the G19 better. There is a difference in size, and weight between the two. You can also use the G17 mags in a G19.

4. Bruce M

Bruce M

Which one do you shoot better? Which one does she shoot better?

5. JonInWA

JonInWA

That makes a huge amount of sense-as would going with a Gen4 G17 for the same configurable backstrap options. Otherwise, if you want a Gen 3, your best bet might be simply to have your wife go with you and try out both a G17 and G19 together; if you're unsure, or that option's unavaliable, go with the G19 (it's not like there's a bad decision to be made here..). In addition to the difference in butt length, there is a discernable difference in butt configuration/protruberence between the two guns; in most cases, while I'lll predict that your wife might be comfortable with a Gen 3 G17, I can almost guarantee it (at least regarding the receiver configuration) regarding the Gen 3 G19-with regards to the Gen4s, its probably more of a wash between the two, due to the backstrap options.

Best, Jon

6. Glock 17L

Glock 17L *GLOCKAHOLIC*

The weight etc really doesn't much matter as they're so close..
    Try one of each in both of your hands & you'll then know..
    I bet you'll like the G19 better but they can be cramped on your middle finger in the 3rd generation Glocks, It matters what fits you hands best..
    If you plan on carrying it the G19 is the way to go..

Welcome to the Forum.. Lots of Stevie Ray Vaughan fans Here..

7. Wooderson76

Wooderson76

8. JChapEGS

JChapEGS

Hold both and compare how each fits your hand. I tried to like the 19, but it just does not fit me. I ended up with a 17 and a 26. The spacing on the finger grooves is different on the 19. I don't have unusually big hands, but the bottom of the grip just hit my hand in an odd place. The 17 feels right to me.

JC

9. TrueGunNut

TrueGunNut

I picked up my first Glock yesterday, glock 19. I plan to carry it, first of all. But it feels so much more balanced in the hand. I favor compacts, like my g19 and Hk45c. I have a full size 1911 and it seems front heavy after spending so much time with my compact polymers.

It just looks and feels the right size. You and your wife both need to hold both guns and determine which is best for the two of you. I would imagine she would like the g19 more.

the g19 has a 15 round mag, can take the g17 17 round mags and the 33 round g18 mags!

10. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

This. Whichever one fits you and your wife's hand better is the perfect fit. You won't go wrong with either one. :cool:

11. JaPes

JaPes Rimfire 1010101

If you're not going to conceal carry, why not get a Glock 34?

12. robin303

robin303 Helicopter Nut

I have both and for some reason I shoot the 19 better and use it for my USPSA matches. I say rent both and try them out. Most people get the 19 first. :supergrin:

13. CynicX

CynicX

Shoot both see which you preper both are common rentals at ranges. At least hold both.

Pretty whimpy for home defense tho. Shotgun or carbine.

14. Im Protected

Im Protected

If your not going to carry, then I would suggest G17. The bigger gun is easer to
    shoot, more accurate and allot of fun. If you go new, then the Gen4 will work
    great for you and your wife. Now if you think you might want to carry then I
    would go with the G19. (its more concealable). Good luck

15. TangoFoxtrot

TangoFoxtrot OIF 04-05

If your not going to CCW then the G17 is the way to go.

16. CynicX

CynicX

Remember people its for his wife too. My gf can't properly grip a full size glock, compact is fine. They will need to handle both prior to purchase.

17. Sonnytoo

Sonnytoo

"Your favorite Glock" poll, on this site has established that, for several thousand owners, the 19 is preferred by 25%, the model 17 by 11%.

Accuracy is the same. Comfort...I prefer the G19. The G17 is better for larger than average hand-size. I wear a size-large glove but the G17 is a larger grip than I prefer.

Weight difference is minimal. Unloaded difference is one ounce. Loaded difference is two ounces, includes weight of additional two rounds.
    Both are superb; both reliable to the nth degree. The "model generation" with the most history, of course, is the Gen3, as the Gen4 models are relatively new on the market.
    S2

18. Pred8tory

Pred8tory Retired Copper Lifetime Member

For non-CCW, go with the 17. I'd even consider the 34, it's fun to shoot.

19. Kansas Slim

Kansas Slim Oxymoron Man

At some point, like just about everyone who gets into shooting, will want to at least try concealed carry (after you go through the legal process in your area of course). And because of that I would recommend the 19. It can do everything the 17 can do but is so much easier to carry. Also, most females appear to like the feel of the 19 over the 17 so that's another plus. And you can use the 17-round mags in the 19 for home defense.

So you're not losing anything in shootability with a 19 and you're gaining easier concealment.

20. pag23

pag23 NRA Life Member

Get the 19... you can always use 17 mags with the "spacer" (I can't remember who makes them and I have 3 of them!!!) I have a G23 that I use the G22 mags on.