Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this is a repeated question, I'm sure it is. All I am interested in is the accuracy difference between the 2 for an average shooter. They both feel good in my hand and for the most part I will not be shooting over 15 yds. I will also not be carrying this weapon. Any help is appreciated and thanks in advance.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I have owned both and cannot tell a difference in accuracy. Plus you plan to carry. Get the 19 and you will see why it is the best jack of all trades gun you can buy.

·
Atomic Dawg
1,027 Posts
I have to agree. Choose the one which feels best to you. They are both great guns as all Glocks are. Since you are not going to carry it I would have to give the advantage to the 17 since the sight radius is longer making it a little easier to shoot accurately. But the 19 gives you a little more all around versatility if you ever decided to carry.

·
Registered
244 Posts
pick either with confidence. I have carried both, and am carrying a 19 now. Trust me they are both accurate, and any inaccuracy will be a reflection of your skill level not the inaccuracy of the gun.

·
GLOCKER
1,247 Posts
Which one feels better in your hand? Choose that one.
Exactly. But since it's not for carry, I would go for the Glock 17. The full sized Glocks fit my hands best. Also, if you won't be carrying, why not enjoy the extra barrel length=extra velocity and 17+ round mag capacity? The difference in accuracy is negligible. Some shooters shoot one better than the other. This probably because of the shooter and his/her group. Some say sight radius...blah blah blah. Go for which one fits you best and you have made the right choice.

·
Armed & Safe
2,196 Posts
For an average shooter, at 15 yards or less, it will not make a difference. A G26 in the hands of a skilled shooter will out shoot a G17L in the hands of an average shooter at that distance.

Like the others said, go with whatever feels the best. But, if you're just interested in accuracy, maybe you should look at a G17L or a G34.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Rent them both, see which one feels the best to shoot. I have both and for some reason I shoot my G19 better then my G17.

·
Registered
255 Posts
No. There is not difference in accuracy between them for the average shooter, especially at 15 yards give or take. At that distance both be very tight.

If you won't be carrying, and won't shoot beyond 15 yard (competition, plinking), you are probably getting it for home defense? Again, doesn't matter. You'll get a little extra muzzle energy out of the G17, but high velocity hollow points (which you will want to use for a 9MM) penetrate less than slower 9MM hollow points. I guess it has to do with how rapidly they expand and what the maximum expansion is. So you'll damage a little less tissue width wise, but a little more depth wise or vice a versa.

From what you are saying, it really makes no difference. Get the one that you can get less expensively/quicker if you have a tiny voice deep down demanding one over the other, listen to it. You won't be wrong.

·
Registered
729 Posts
The accuracy will be dependent on primarily, YOU

-Sight radius
-Slightly lower velocity and less spin on the 19's barrel

·
Registered
622 Posts
The difference isn't in the gun itself, it's how well it fits and shoots in your own hands. Accuracy results are particular to the shooter, regardless of distance. I might shoot bullseyes with a G19, but the next guy could experience similar performance with a G17, versus a G19. I'm not saying anything here that hasn't already been said, so it's unanimous.

I have small/medium hands and the G19 fits like a glove; the G17 seems to twist from side to side because my hands don't have as much contact with the gun's surface. Therefore, my personal preference is the G19, and I own a plethora of them as a result; no G17's in my inventory.

Either is a fine weapon and will serve you well.

·
Registered
69 Posts
In my opinion there absolutely is a difference in accuracy. A little bit of extra velocity does not have much of an impact. The longer sight radius allows for a more precise sight alignment, that is all there is to it. You will get an improvement at all ranges. But if is not for carry, go with a G-34.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks to everyone for all the posts. I have a 23 and my main dilemma is why get the 19 when i can get a conversion barrel and basically have a 19. The little voice is telling me get the 17 and conversion barrel for the 23 and have 3 guns. (kinda)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Thanks to everyone for all the posts. I have a 23 and my main dilemma is why get the 19 when i can get a conversion barrel and basically have a 19. The little voice is telling me get the 17 and conversion barrel for the 23 and have 3 guns. (kinda)
Then why not 22 and a conversion barrel and have 4 guns?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts