close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock 17 versus 34?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Bravado, Dec 8, 2002.

Tags:
  1. Bravado

Bravado

I own a G17 and plan on shooting it in production class,
    would there be any advantage in getting and shooting a
    G34?

2. Custom Glock Racing

Custom Glock Racing I did it first. Millennium Member

I think the balance and handling of the 34 is a bit better, it shoots a litle flatter and the longer sight radius is an advantage on tight or long shots. The 17 will definitly work, but I think the 34 is a bit better.

3. Flexmoney

Flexmoney

I can't argue with Matt's take.

I don't think the difference is enough to warrant purchasing a new gun though...unless you want to.

I get along pretty well with a G17. Might want to get the 3.5 pound connector in there and an extended mag release (Glock fatory part, Production legal) .

4. Joe D

Joe D Guest

The G34 seems to have a little more muzzle flip.

5. GlockRik

GlockRik

I have the 34 and really like it. I think the only real difference as far as competition is concerned is about 3/4" ( not sure without looking up specs)in barrel length, and a 3.5# connector that can be added to your 17. If I had the 17, I wouldn't run out and get the 34 expecting a big difference and the 17 does quite well. The biggest improvement I have made in mine is Hienie sights.
    Good Glokin, Rik

6. shootingbuff

shootingbuff Millennium Member

Not for me nor many others I would think.

For the diff in cost you could get boco ammo, reload even more, purcahse equipment, and take a class or two.

How deep are your pockets. I use a 19 and 26 for IDPA. I own all but the Ls in in 9x19 and 40. I like the 35 much better than the 34 but like the 17 over the 34, and 19 over it.

It is a personal choice and a bud of mine just had to have a 34 for IDPA. He got one and is not using it becasuse it is not for him becasue he does much better with his 17.

YMMV but getting started you have a good enough pistol then after awhile you will have a better idea what you want or need.

sb

7. ryucasta

ryucasta IDPA/IPSC Cuban

Bravado,

My personal preference is towards the G34 for both IDPA SSP and USPSA Production division’s competition. I would suggest though that you try both out and see what works for you. You should be able to rent one at your local range and if that options not available there are plenty of individuals using them in USPSA and IDPA competition who would probably let you try out their G34. If it turns out you like the G34 and you’re on a tight budget you could always order a slide from Glockmeisters and swap between them since the G17 and the G34 use the same frame.

8. Bravado

Bravado

Great info. guys I appreciate the advice.:)

9. shootingbuff

Oh one more for the 17, anther buddy has shot mine and others 34. He is now working with my 17 becsaue he likes it better. He was using a 19, which I perfer.

So as can be seen I have no dog in the fight I don't use either.

Again it is a personal choice and you can easily get by with the 17. Until you get a few matches under your belt and hopefully try a 34 before you purchase one.

Rergardless have fun.

sb

10. ajm

ajm Millennium Member

I prefer the 17, I was using a 35 in Limited and then got the 9mm conversion bbl. and tried that when Production started. I found that the 34-35 length gun was slower out of a production holster for me and that the target to target transition time was slower. On the other hand I could double tap slightly faster. I went with a 17 and have been having a blast for the past two years with it.

Any of the Glocks will get the job done in production division, as som others have said, try one for feel before buying, unless......Uh was this a thin excuse to buy another gun?? if so then the 34 is definately the hot ticket and you got to have one or you will be reprimanded by the committee.

ajm

11. macgregor45

macgregor45 who???

I used to think that a G34/35 was the way to go in IPSC if someone was to use a Glock. Nowadays, we don't really shoot many (if any) 40-50yd shots, and tight shots and steel aren't in abundance either. I'm thinking that having a slightly shorter and lighter gun would be the way to go if someone was starting fresh. The G17 swings quicker and is faster out of the holster, as was said above. I really don't see the absolute need for a G34 anymore.

But having said that, if you really want both with a minimum of cash spent, buy either a G17 or G34 and buy the other upper and save a little bit of money.

12. duncan

duncan Lifetime Member Millennium Member

Agree
    Had both, love the G34 way more.

13. Custom Glock Racing

Last years Area 3 5 and 6 and the nationals had lots of tight and or long shots. I have actually ben seeing more tight/long shots all over this past year.

14. macgregor45

macgregor45 who???

Hmmm, I must have just got lucky. Factory Gun Nationals was all close up work. Area 4 was also. So were a few state level matches.

15. IPSC G34

IPSC G34 Sparky

FGN was mostly close in. Remember the standards stage? Or stage 2 where you ran up the stairs and had about a 20 yard hardcover target.
    While I prefer the 34, if you already have a 17 I see no good reason to get a 34 other than "But I really want one." Get some new sights and do a trigger job on it and you are good to go.

16. macgregor45

macgregor45 who???

Somehow I forgot about that standards stage. But I would say that 95% of targets were 10 yards and in.

17. Michael Brown

Michael Brown

Of the top ten finishers at this year's IDPA Nationals there was only one 34 (the winner however). In the top ten were three 17's and a 19. There isn't a whole lot of difference in the two and certainly not enough to justify buying a new gun.

Wait....What did I say about buying a new gun?

Michael Brown

18. Custom Glock Racing

And I am proud to day the winner was using a CGR tuned G34.

19. shootingbuff

If you folks have not tried one of Matt's triggers, you really don't know what you are missing.

Do I have one? No, but the two friends I made mention of ealier do ;)

sb

20. IPSC G34

IPSC G34 Sparky

You didn't try and forget it did you? Because I tried, it doesn't work........ Maybe they won't have one like it at the '03 FGN. Did you see the dates on the USPSA page?