Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently bought a brand new Glock 17 gen 5 handgun for my recreational/conceal and home self defense handgun. The first time I shot, after 300 rounds, the trigger did not reset after the 304th shot fired. The 305th round is inside of the chamber and the slide went forward completely, but the trigger did not reset. After I dropped the mag out, pulled the slide back to eject the round, put a new mag in and pulled the slide back to chamber a round, it happened a second time after the 308th shot. After that I was able to fire hundreds of rounds with absolutely no issues. Now it only happens once every 200 to 300 rounds every time I shoot. I can then fire hundreds of rounds there after without any issues. I clean my gun after every use, and I make sure that I do not put excessive lubrication on, Glock only recommends to use lube conservatively on designated spots of the gun only, which is what I do. I also only put a needle applicant of gun oil between the trigger bar and connector, I overheard that is one of the most important spots you need to lube, with only a needle applicant use only. I have asked around at gun ranges and have spoken to the FFL dealers to get a solid answer, but I keep getting different stories and I have no idea were to start trouble shooting. I am a beginner when it comes to guns and I have little or no knowledge base. If anyone has had a similar or same issue that can give me an answer, thank you. I have left everything stock, I did not make any modifications to the gun, I also have not stripped the gun down other than to clean it and left the lower and firing channel completely alone.

·
MacGyver
7,589 Posts
Are you sure the trigger did not reset? That the striker did not fire off, and fail to ignite the primer-- feels like a dead trigger?
Did you look at the primer after this happened?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you sure the trigger did not reset? That the striker did not fire off, and fail to ignite the primer-- feels like a dead trigger?
Did you look at the primer after this happened?
On the 305th shot, I was not able to squeeze the trigger, after the 304th shot, the trigger just diddn't go back to its normal position. the slide went back fully and loaded the 305th round but the trigger did not reset.

·
MacGyver
7,589 Posts
Have you ever messed with the connector, or disassembled the frame?

If so:
One cause of failure to reset, is the connector is too close (too flush) inboard to the triggerhousing-- it needs enough outboard angle to reset the trigger bar birds beak. Do you get a solid tactile click on reset when you dryfire, or is it vague? Slide does not need to go fully back to reset.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have you ever messed with the connector, or disassembled the frame?

If so:
One cause of failure to reset, is the connector is too close (too flush) inboard to the triggerhousing-- it needs enough outboard angle to reset the trigger bar birds beak. Do you get a solid tactile click on reset when you dryfire, or is it vague? Slide does not need to go fully back to reset.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I dried fired my gun just now, trapped the trigger so it wouldn't go forward. Pulled the slide back slightly, and slowly let the trigger forward, and I heard a solid click.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Welcome to guns and Glock Talk! You'll find helpful people here and you have a great, open attitude about learning!

Since you are new to firearms, may I clarify a couple things that you said weren't happening... but are common to happen.

With weak target ammo, stiff new recoil springs and new shooters with looser grips... there can sometimes be break in malfunctions.

When you are talking about the trigger not resetting, there is a situation where the above can cause the gun to not fully cycle.

Can you confirm that when you tried to shoot the 305th round and the trigger wouldn't fire... that you ejected a cartridge with a bullet still in it and not just an empty, spent casing.

Because if you ejected an empty cartridge manually, then you're having weak ammo and limpwristing issues that will get better as the recoil spring breaks in and your technique improves.

If you are actually ejecting a full, unspent cartridge with the dead trigger then it's something else like people are suggesting fixes for.

If you can't recall... answer this: After you ejected the "unfired" round... did you pick up the round, put it back in and fire it? If you didn't, you might have just have had a failure to eject rather than a failure to fire. If the slide doesn't cycle back completely then you can get the symptoms you describe and the spent cartridge will still be in the chamber.

Also, what ammo are you shooting? There are some brands that are notoriously inconsistent in their loading and it's possibly you could have an ammo issue rather than a gun issue.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, after the 304th round that fired, on the 305th round that I ejected, it was a cartridge with a bullet. The 304th round fired, the 305th round loaded into the chamber, but the trigger did not fully reset, I was not able to squeeze the trigger on the 305th round. I am using 115 gr fmj Blazer for target practice. I have federal premium 147gr JHP HST rounds for home self defense.

Welcome to guns and Glock Talk! You'll find helpful people here and you have a great, open attitude about learning!

Since you are new to firearms, may I clarify a couple things that you said weren't happening... but are common to happen.

With weak target ammo, stiff new recoil springs and new shooters with looser grips... there can sometimes be break in malfunctions.

When you are talking about the trigger not resetting, there is a situation where the above can cause the gun to not fully cycle.

Can you confirm that when you tried to shoot the 305th round and the trigger wouldn't fire... that you ejected a cartridge with a bullet still in it and not just an empty, spent casing.

Because if you ejected an empty cartridge manually, then you're having weak ammo and limpwristing issues that will get better as the recoil spring breaks in and your technique improves.

If you are actually ejecting a full, unspent cartridge with the dead trigger then it's something else like people are suggesting fixes for.

If you can't recall... answer this: After you ejected the "unfired" round... did you pick up the round, put it back in and fire it? If you didn't, you might have just have had a failure to eject rather than a failure to fire. If the slide doesn't cycle back completely then you can get the symptoms you describe and the spent cartridge will still be in the chamber.

Also, what ammo are you shooting? There are some brands that are notoriously inconsistent in their loading and it's possibly you could have an ammo issue rather than a gun issue.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
This is y I have few glocks to interchange parts to narrow down the problem. It's probably a weak firing pin spring or trigger spring.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How many rounds in total do you have through the weapon?
I have shot very close to 1550 rounds through my gun. Went to the range 3 times thus far. Cleaned my gun after every use. lubricated very lightly only in the designated areas that Glock recommended.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is the firing pin spring another word for striker spring, or are they two separate parts
This is y I have few glocks to interchange parts to narrow down the problem. It's probably a weak firing pin spring or trigger spring.

·
MacGyver
7,589 Posts
Couple of failures in 1500 rounds is very good. This is going to be hard to nail down.
Failure drills are always good, and part of shooting, like flat tires are part of driving.

Has trigger group has nothing to do with the striker spring (yes it is the same as firing pin spring).

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
Welcome eric!

Get with a friend that knows Glocks, detail strip and clean it.

Did you clean it or break it down before you shot it?

If everything has worked since, don't look back. Just keep it in mind.

Be safe

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Im going to order a firing pin spring, and put a new one in. The next time I go to the range Ill fire off 500 more rounds. If I do not get a malfunction with the trigger reset. Ill assume it fixed the problem. If not ill replace the trigger spring afterwards. Then shoot another 500 rounds to see what happens.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Welcome eric!

Get with a friend that knows Glocks, detail strip and clean it.

Did you clean it or break it down before you shot it?

If everything has worked since, don't look back. Just keep it in mind.

Be safe
Ill replace the firing pin spring and the trigger spring. If I do not get any malfunctions within a 1000 rounds. Ill assume the problem has been solved.

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
Im going to order a firing pin spring, and put a new one in. The next time I go to the range Ill fire off 500 more rounds. If I do not get a malfunction with the trigger reset. Ill assume it fixed the problem. If not ill replace the trigger spring afterwards. Then shoot another 500 rounds to see what happens.

Detail strip and clean it.

Can't fix what you can't see, IF anything is even fubared. Doubtful.

You seem fixated your firing pin spring/trigger spring is bad... Unlikely Bro.
HOW do you know/why do you think this??

Very seldom does your fps or trigger spring go bad when a gun is new...things happen though

·
MacGyver
7,589 Posts
Ill replace the firing pin spring and the trigger spring. If I do not get any malfunctions within a 1000 rounds. Ill assume the problem has been solved.
If you send the whole gun back to Glock, they will replace all the internal parts for you, and replace any mags you send in.

Better to address the lower than the upper. The trigger spring is more like the thing to change, not the firing pin spring. Replace that with a factory weight one. Take the lower apart and clean it, make sure the trigger bar is sitting under the trigger spring ledge. Good luck.

·
"Old Bill"
2,651 Posts
Failure to re-assemble the trigger mechanism as shown can cause the problem you describe.
IMG_0654.JPG

Reactions: -JCN-
1 - 20 of 21 Posts