GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey yall,

I am new here and I hope I am posting in the right forum.
I put a Swenson Slide on my G17 so I can place a vortex red on it. I also upgraded the trigger to an APEX. I went to a range yesterday and every shot, the slide will not return to battery & and I had to give a love tap on back of the slide to have the trigger reset / slide return to battery. What is the issue here?

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
The sarcastic answer is you said it was a Glock when it’s not.

The kinder/gentler answer is there are too many changes to solve the puzzle in one attempt. Go back to the stock configuration, change only one part at a time and test.

I would start with the lower in stock condition and try the slide without the red dot first then with the red dot.

·
Previously Will Beararms
6,661 Posts
I am sorry this happened. Return your Glock to stock and learn from your mistakes.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Similar to what other have said.

You pushed you "improvements" to the point that it stopped working.

Now, undo them until it works again.

Open question..... why on earth do people do this stuff?
Some folks have more dollars than sense? :drink:

·
Registered
6,928 Posts
First things First. That is to function fire your OEM Glock.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I've fit a few dozen bls to Glocks, Slides and rails differ some. Measure the distance and machine a Storm Lake or other after mkt bls and machine the bottom till they Dykem to the locking block.

·
"Old Bill"
2,579 Posts
You do not say which generation you have.
If gen 1-4 then you probably installed the slide stop lever wrongly. The tail of the spring on the slide stop lever must go UNDER the locking block pin.
If a gen5 then assemble the trigger mechanism as shown in this photo:

IMG_0654.JPG

Edit to add: If it is not the above then as others have said check all the aftermarket parts you have put in and seriously consider just keeping it stock.
A Glock does not need all these supposed "upgrades" except perhaps decent sights.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Deleting

·
Premium Member
24,806 Posts
You ruined it. It’s only value is parts. I need some parts so send it, and OEM parts to my FFL. (It shouldn’t qualify but best to be safe). I will take care of fees, refund your shipping.
Btw put down the dermal.

·
Registered
51 Posts
You added mass to the slide with the red dot so the recoil spring isn't matched to the current slide weight. To prove this, remove the red dot and see if the problem goes away. If the spring is too heavy or ammo too weak the slide won't cycle properly.

·
Registered
6,928 Posts
You added mass to the slide with the red dot so the recoil spring isn't matched to the current slide weight. To prove this, remove the red dot and see if the problem goes away. If the spring is too heavy or ammo too weak the slide won't cycle properly.
all of that is wrong. Competition shooters in USPSA and IDPA add dots to their OEM Glocks all the time and they function just fine. Most commercial ammo meets the minor power floor, so "weak" ammo is not the cause either, but to know, you would have to chrono it. Last, the OP's gun has an OEM spring, so wrong again. And, and , and "I put a Swenson Slide on my G17 so I can place a vortex red on it." SO HE COULD PUT A RED DOT ON, but he didn't

·
Registered
6,928 Posts
I've run 4 dots on 3 different Glocks over the past 2 decades. A G17L and a G24C with EGW adapter plates, both with a Trijicon Red Dot (not RMR), and two G17's with a Burris FF2 and a Docter slide milled. The G17L and G24C running Major floor ammo for USPSA Open Division, and the G17's running Minor floor for USPSA Carry Optics. OEM barrels, OEM recoil springs. Adding dots has NO affect on function. The OP's problem is with the aftermarket slide, not a dot.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I've run 4 dots on 3 different Glocks over the past 2 decades. A G17L and a G24C with EGW adapter plates, both with a Trijicon Red Dot (not RMR), and two G17's with a Burris FF2 and a Docter slide milled. The G17L and G24C running Major floor ammo for USPSA Open Division, and the G17's running Minor floor for USPSA Carry Optics. OEM barrels, OEM recoil springs. Adding dots has NO affect on function. The OP's problem is with the aftermarket slide, not a dot.
so, i just went over very similar ordeal with a brand new gen5 g34 slide.
the slide would not get all the way back initially on a weaker 115gr ammo. G17 would eat it fine, and a G34 slide with no red dot would MOSTLY eat it fine, but an additional weight from the leupold would cause an issue.

i now believe it is really the effect of the new coating that is more abrasive initially than a previous generations coatings, and on a brand new gun it causes too much friction. as i went over 300 or so 124gr rounds - slide now is eating up any kind of ammo with no issues, cycles perfectly with a stock or with 15# wolff rsa spring.
still, while brand new - it had issues on a 115gr rounds. it was a fact. G17 non-MOS stock slide did not have that at all and was broken in with those weaker 115gr rounds just fine.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Beca
Similar to what other have said.

You pushed you "improvements" to the point that it stopped working.

Now, undo them until it works again.

Open question..... why on earth do people do this stuff?
Because it’s there gun and they want to . What if before he made the first Glock someone said to Gaston Glock “ Why on earth would anyone want a plastic gun ? “ . If they did I’m glad he ignored them .

·
Registered
6,928 Posts
115 gr 9mm going over 1,250 fps IS NOT weak ammo, that is +P rated,

1 - 20 of 33 Posts