Glock 17 Shoots Way High

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by fivestar, Jan 27, 2010.

Tags:
  1. fivestar

fivestar

I purchased a NIB G17RTF2 last November. So far I have probably 300 rounds downrange. This thing shoots really high. At 7 yrds Im almost 5 in. high. I have tried a 6.1mm rear sight, however I am still way high.

My issued guns are a G22 and G27, so I know my way around them. Two other officers have tested this as well, with the same results.

Any other ideas before she gets shipped back to Glock?

Thanks!

2. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur CLM Millennium Member

Five inches at 7 yards is a LOT......

How are you aligning the sights?

[​IMG]

3. Butch

Is the top of your barrel hood basically flush with the top of the slide? Or is the barrel lower?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. fivestar

fivestar

Im aligning the sights according to the posted picture. At first I was covering the target with my front sight. I then aligned it bottom of the target with the top of the front sight. I have to hold the sights well below the target to score a proper hit.

My barrel appears to fit flush with the slide.

5. itsgottabeapit

itsgottabeapit

Are you shooting FMJ? I wonder if it has anything to do with the slide lock..maybe being put in backwards? If it fits up like Butch pictured. I'd really like to know what the problem is too.

6. fivestar

fivestar

Yes, FMJ. Federal, CCI, and Winchester. All 115 gr. Ive never messed with the slide lock, but the barrel is flush and not tilted.

7. tampashooters

tampashooters Shellback

Try a ransom rest. That will settle it immediately.

8. Kentucky Shooter

Kentucky Shooter NRA Life Member

Unless there is a mechancial problem with the slide, barrel, etc...like some of the others mentioned, I believe the solution will be a taller front sight. But like mentioned by others, this is a lot at only 7 yards. If this was 25 yards, I would not be nearly so surprised.

9. fivestar

fivestar

Does Glock even make a taller front sight? I typically use glockparts for my stuff and I don't see any differences.

10. Kentucky Shooter

Kentucky Shooter NRA Life Member

I am sure they would make different heights in front sights, since that is one of the few/only ways to change the point of elevation in a fixed sighted pistol. However, I am not saying that is your problem-maybe there could be something else as others have said. But I had this identical situation in a Kimber 1911 and that was what Kimber did to get me right on target--I only had to return the slide back to them. The difference in my new sight is not really noticeable to the naked eye-----only a few thousandths difference can really make a big difference in point of impact. My Kimber was shooting 6 to 7" high at 25 yards. Whatever you have wrong, a call to Glock will get you pointed in the right direction I am sure.

11. Kentak

Kentak

Long shot, but is the rear sight height correct? You said you tried a 6.1mm. I don't know the technicalities of Glock sights, what is standard height?

12. b2unit

b2unit

.256" standard rear on a G17, I believe, "Ameriglo" has a great sight calculator on it's website that you can punch in data and get solutions.

That much off at 7 yards sounds like something else. IIWM, only the bench will tell for sure.

13. Jailer252

Jailer252 Team TKW

I was experiencing the same problem with my 34. I am a glock armorer and was (^*&&& off that I could not diagnose the problem. I sent it back to glock and when I spoke with them they had shot it and experienced the same problem that I had had. So now I could rule myself out, the pistol stayed with them a week or so and when I had received it back every part except for the barrel, slide and frame had been changed. Problem solved. I run a 6.1 rear night sight and the standard (new style) night sight front and the gun it dead on. So a trip to the factory may be in order here. As I look at it, THEIR PARTS KIT HAS MORE IN IT THAN MINE!!!!!

14. cbsaf

cbsaf

Take off the 6.5mm rear sight and add a 6.1mm. The OEM front sight is always the same height.

Align the top edges of the front and rear sight and then center the dot in the goal posts. Put the target right above the aligned and level sights.

15. Bert.40

Bert.40

I always aligned the bottom edges of the sights. Is that the reason I've been shooting low?

16. cbsaf

cbsaf

Maybe. I align the top edges of the sights and then make sure the same amount of daylight is visible between the rear and front sight on each side. That centers the ball in the cup. I then place the very bottom edge of what I want to hit on the top edge of the front sight. I make sure I can see the whole bullseye and the sights line up perfectly under it like an orange sitting on a table.

If I shoot from a good rested position while carefully taking my time, I can hit bullseye quite often with my 9mm Glocks using a 25 yard target. I have to aim 3 inches low with my G21 to do the same. I always figured it was to compensate for the .45 increased bullet drop at farther distances.

17. itsgottabeapit

itsgottabeapit

The factory rear sight should be marked with a - sign on the right side of the slide if you are pointing the gun away from you. If it has 2 minus signs or something else, maybe they put the wrong sights on at the factory?

18. Butch

Well, if you're confident that you're doing your part correctly and shooter error is not affecting the results, I'd say it's time to send it back to Glock.

But it costs money to send them back, so if you aren't sure that shooter error might be the problem, get some dummy rounds to do some ball and dummy drills to verify one way or the other.

Shipping can be done much cheaper by your dealer if you can get them to do it for you.

19. bentbiker

bentbiker

He seems to have done all that.

20. cbsaf

cbsaf

Does one of your friends have a G17 that is a straight shooter? Swap the barrels, slides, and frames around until you isolate the problem.