close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock 17 or Steyr M9

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by TexAg, Jan 6, 2005.

Tags:
  1. TexAg

TexAg

I've been wanting a G-17 for awhile now but recently I've seen the Steyr's for cheap with CDNN and have heard good reviews of Steyr. I want a 9mm, high cap but also don't want to spend much. The gun would be mostly for range use and home def./truck gun, not CCW.
    Advantages of the G17:
    1.I have a Kydex OWB holster that will fit it already.
    2.Dad has a G19 so G17 mags will fit it also.
    3.have already shot a G17 and am very familiar with Glocks and so is wife. (Have not found anywhere with a Steyr to try out unfortunately)
    4.Reg. (17rnd) mags readily available.

Ad. of Steyr as I see them:
    1. $249 vs. $450 (about the cheapest I've seen a new G17)
    2.Possibly better pointing, less muzzle flip.
    3. great sights.
    4. $249!!!! more $$ for ammo, holsters and exta mags.

Anyone have any thoughts or ideas, been in the same predicament of choice? I am thinking that $200 saved could outweigh any advantages the G17 would have. I know I will be making the ultimate choice, I am just looking for any more input, thoughts and ideas. Thanks for the help.

2. applekev

applekev

I elected to by a G17 for my 9mm because of all I had read about the gun being so reliable. To me that was what made me feel the extra money was well spent. The G17 was made for the 9mm, it's a very common gun, easy to get parts or accessories if you need them, good resale value, like buying a Toyota or Honda, you can't go wrong.

3. sean85746

sean85746

Go with the Glock. Not only because of the already valid points made by kev in the reply above this one...but simply, because they work!

I got my first Glock 17 way back in 88, and I still have it, and it still goes BANG everytime the trigger is pressed (yes pressed, not pulled). I'd say it has close to 50,000 rounds through it, and all I have ever done is replace a $6.00 spring, and then only because I thought it was "time to do it".

I can't get the thing to rust or pit through that tennifer finish, and it has only ever malfunctioned ONE time, and it was ammo related, not the gun (bad primer).

Get the Glock.

4. srfl

srfl

Not to take away from the Glocks, which are great guns, but I'm a huge Steyr fan (as others on this web forum's Steyr Club )....I have five of them (M357, M40, S40, M9 and S9). My S40 is my daily off-duty carry weapon and went as far as taking it with me to my agency's last quarterly qualifications and qualified with it. I did as well with the gun as with my duty Sig P229 .40 S&W.

As such, I recommend the Steyr.

Advantages of the Steyr: it has a fully supported chamber, a "standard" barrel with lands and grooves which translates to being able to fire lead reloads, it has a lower hand-to-bore axis which explains the less muzzle flip than even with the Glock and it has a manual safety (although it's position and activitation needs A LOT of getting used to).

Steyrs, like Glocks, also have a Tenifer treated slide.

Negatives: Less rounds per magazine than the Glocks, M9 standard cap magazines are hard to find and expensive when you do, the trap/triangle sights do not come in a night sight configuration but Trijicon can drill and install the tritium vials for $150 bucks or so....go to the Steyr Club thread, Who wants Trapazoidal Night Sights , where this is discussed.

And the big negative: the Steyr M and S series are discontinued (which is why they are so inexpensive) in favor of the new M9A1 and M40A1....essentially the same gun as the M series with a built in universal rail...albeit much more expensive than the M series.....despite these negatives, the Steyrs are still great guns. So much so that I purchased another M9 and intend to get another S9 and M357 (if I can find the latter...those are hard to get).

5. Cawdor

Cawdor Millennium Member

6. G-MAN 45

G-MAN 45

7. mrapathy2000

mrapathy2000

8. Cawdor

Cawdor Millennium Member

While any manufacturer may have problems with some of it guns, the same problems are reported over and over again with the Steyrs: failures to extract and failures to go into battery, sometimes with an accompanying slide lock.

Some of those who post in the Steyr Club have the returned their guns for repair and have posted that the problems have not been solved.

I've had two. It is a nice gun, when it works. The serial number on the first was 7XXX; the second, 26XXX. Both guns exhibited the same problems. I replaced the extractor on the second; the extraction problems continued. At my last trip to the range, the slide failed to go battery three times. The slide was locked so tightly that I had to field strip the gun (live round in chamber) and then tap the top of the chamber with a rubber mallet to loosen the barrel from the slide. The gun was past break-in, as it had more than 3000 rounds through it.

The Steyr was discussed extensively at the Firing Line when it was released.

Run a search. It is up to you to decide whether it is worth the risk.

9. R_Ladies_Man

R_Ladies_Man Just Sad

absolutely love my steyr

you can get the new version of the steyr 9mm. no internal safty like a glock :)

10. noway

noway

will I love steyrs and love glocks, but the glocks have been less problematic in the 10yrs and counting that I have own and played with them.Steyr Mseries can have their problems, and seems to need about 300-500rds to get thru them to get over the brass into the face episode.

Hands down the steyr is a better designed weapon, but lacks the reliability that glocks have. just my 0.02ct view from a steyr M40 owner with M357 barrel.

11. RyanSBHF

RyanSBHF Senior Member

While the Steyr is a good gun and cheaper than the Glock, I'd stil reccomend the G17. Magazines, holsters and other aftermarket parts are much cheaper and easier to find. And I don't know if anyone makes night sights for the Steyr.

12. 132

17 is a classic, plus parts and mags are readily available.

13. Terminator

Terminator

I actually own both and although the G7 is my favorite pistol i have to praise the Steyr as well.

Mine has been utterly reliable and POA at 25 yards.
    easier on recoil than the G17 which is almost none in the first place.

The only thing is the mag capacity isnt as good.

You cant go wrong with either, but for the money the Steyr wins.