close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock 17 or Glock 21

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Brookelynngreen, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Brookelynngreen

Brookelynngreen

I want to buy a handgun for self defense in case of **** hitting the fan sometime in the near future. I have looked at the G21 and love the big fat bullets and stopping power of the .45ACP but at the same time I would have to pay around $540.00 for 1,200 rounds of quality ammo + $600.00 bucks for the G21 Gen4.

I am also considering the G17. I like the round capacity at 17+1 compared to the G21's 13+1 round capacity. But I think the 9mm lacks the stopping power compared to the .45ACP. If I go with the G17 I will be paying roughly $340.00 for 1,200 rounds of quality ammo + $600.00 bucks for the G17 Gen4.

I have heard it is all about shot placement, so I am a bit skeptical on what handgun to buy. I have shot the G17 and the G21, liked them both but I have to choose one although I wish I could have both. Im leaning more towards the G17 because I can stock up on ALOT of ammo for cheap, but at the same time what if I need the raw stopping power of the .45ACP and all I'm stuck with is the 9mm...

Advice from you all would be appreciated. Tell me why you would choose the 9mm over the .45ACP and vice verse... Thank You ahead of time.

P.S. I will not be stocking up on +P or +P+ ammo. So those type of rounds will not be considered since I am buying in bulk. I do know that the +P and +P+ rounds do get up there with the .45ACP, there just not in my budget to buy bulk hot 9mm loads.

2. Quarter Tank

Quarter Tank

Personal preference. I like the proven 45acp first and 9mm second. I love shooting my G21.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

3. damnyankee20

damnyankee20

Uh...there is no such thing as "stopping power" with pistol rounds. 85% of all human beings shot with pistols survive their gunshot wound(s) - this ain't TV.

Secondly, ANY caliber bullet can - and will - kill.

With those three things said, YOU have to decide what sidearm (a), feels good in your hand and (b), you can afford - then there's the ammo and maintenance expenses.

Once you figure out which sidearm feels best and is affordable, the rest of it is putting time in the range target shooting - because that's pretty much what you're going to be doing with your pistol to stay ready for that moment we all pray never happens to us.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2012
  4. bac1023

bac1023

I much prefer 9mm in a Glock platform.

5. Brookelynngreen

Brookelynngreen

6. Brookelynngreen

Brookelynngreen

So the 9mm can be just as effective as the .45??

7. Quarter Tank

Quarter Tank

22lr can be even more effective. It's about shot placement and knowing your weapon.

8. atcs2152

atcs2152

FWIW I think the Glock 22 in .40 S&W is the way to go. You get more stopping power than 9mm. Magazine capacity is more than .45 ACP and almost as much as the 9mm. Ammo cost is less than .45 ACP. With a conversion barrel you can practice with 9mm and carry .40 S&W for SD.

9. B_RAD

B_RAD

Don't get caught up in the "stoping power" or "one stop shot" caliber war. I have 5 9mm pistols that I trust my life with. I also have several .45 pistols. If you prefer the feel of the 17 get that. With some Gold Dot 124gr +P and good shot placement that's adequate for a SD/HD PISTOL. I put pistol in all caps because the three major pistol caliber rounds are lacking(but I feel equally). As Clint Smith says "a handgun is to fight your way back to your rifle". Or something along those lines.

Buuuuuttttttt...... If you want the 21, get it because that's what you want. Not because if you don't you'll be killed because your 9mm just pissed off the bad guy.

Just my $.02!

10. Mochahooligan

Mochahooligan

Just buy both! You will not be disapointed!

11. Rev.357

Rev.357

Buy a .357sig in a G31 or 32 & you have more stopping than both & higher ammo count as well. The only thing with more stopping power is a .45 super & 10mm.

12. WarEagle32

WarEagle32

You are making a choice between 2 great pistols. There is no wrong choice here. I have multiple 9's and multiple 45's as well. Candidly when it comes to concealed carry I am just more comfortable with a 45! Not that there is anything wrong with the 9 mm. Buy which one feels best to you when you shoot it. But go with 9 or 45 and not a 40 or .357 sig IMO.

13. JChapEGS

JChapEGS

You don't say if your are new to handguns or not. If possible, shoot both first. At least handle both.

I say go with the G17. That was my first handgun. The high capacity, low cost of ammo (comparatively), and the feel in my hand convinced me. Plus, the G17 is the original Glock.

Shot placement is key. To get that, you need a secure grip and practice.

I have average sized hands (large gloves), and I cannot get a good grip on a Gen 3 G21. The G21 SF is a little better, but still not a good fit. The grip texture on the Gen 3 21 is a little slick. The Gen 4 21 is much better - smaller grip and stickier texture - but it is still on verge of too big for me.

As for ammo, hollow point 9mm is close to .45 when fully expanded. The .45 is a big, slow moving bullet. 9mm is small and fast. +P and +P+ increases the speed of the bullet.

There is a compromise with all ballistic choices. I figure that if I can't defend myself with 18 rounds of 9mm HP and a 17 round back-up magazine, I am screwed anyway.

JC

14. HexHead

HexHead

In a true SHTF situation, it will be easier to find 9mm ammo than .45.

15. average nobody

average nobody

I own both, I have preferred 9mm because ammo is cheaper and I can shoot it more often, majority of my handguns are 9mm I like to try to keep things uniform .

Last edited: Jun 14, 2012
  16. plouffedaddy

plouffedaddy

I have both (several of both actually) and I suggest you handle one first and see which one feels better in your hand. A lot of people don't like the large frame Glocks, even with the Gen4/SF grip.

If I could only have one---the 17 is how I'd go. There is very little difference in 'stopping power' of the rounds since handguns are inherently underpowered to begin with. You'll save on ammo costs which will allow you to train more and be more proficient.

But, the old cliche' of "both are great pistols and you won't go wrong either way" really fits here. :dunno:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. lavy

lavy

40cal is also a nice choose . not to expencive

18. RocPO

RocPO

This. If I weren't issued a G22 as my duty weapon I would stick with 9mm platforms. If in doubt, Pat Rogers has an article in this months SWAT mag about his switch to 9 from 45

19. Beanie-Bean

Beanie-Bean

I have both, and my choice of nightstand pistol is an old LE trade-in G21, outfitted with TruGlo TFO night sights and a Crimson Trace Rail Master laser sight.

If you are going to be shooting a lot, then 9X19 will be less expensive. However, the .45ACP Glocks are very soft shooters for being their largest caliber offering.

If cost is really an issue, or ammo availabilty is an issue, then I would considering putting together a reloading rig. I've done just that, and haven't looked back. 9X19 and .45ACP aren't really that far apart in cost when you load them out yourself.

Good luck on your choice, and here is a little something to help you along:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. MarcDW

MarcDW MDW Guns Millennium Member

I would get a 31 and a conversion barrel in 9mm.
    Then you have the stopping power and precision of the .357SIG and you can shoot the cheaper 9mm.
    The reason I would stay away form the .45 in a Glock is the not fully supported chamber.
    I didn't think that would be a big deal and was only with reloaded ammo until an officer next to me had it happened to him.
    The ammo was old duty ammo settled in a little bit.