Glock 17 or Glock 19

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by ajm_g22rtf, Nov 9, 2010.

1. ajm_g22rtf

ajm_g22rtf

Hi guys, its been a while since i posted a thread here. Well now im back. I previously owned a G22rtf, G17 and G19.. but not anymore. Im planing to buy a new 9mm Glock right now and couldnt decide between the G19 3rd gen. Or G17 Gen 4.. ive shot both 19 and 17 and both liked it. So i was wondering if you guys can help me decide which one to buy or buy "first" i currently own a Sig P226R 9mm, HK USP 45, and a Springfield 1911-A1. (I know they are all full size handguns) and can concealed carry em all with no problems. So I'd like to see your opinion about this..

Thanks guys..

Aron.

2. Dingus

Dingus

It boils down to which ever feels best and shoots best to you. A Gen4 G17 and a Gen4 G19 are excellent choices.

3. RMD

RMD

If you don't think you'd have a problem carrying the G17, shoot 'em both and buy whichever one you shoot better.

4. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

being as you have all "full sized" guns now... the G19 might be *easier* to carry for you.

I have a G17 and carried that for awhile, so I realize it's "doable"... but the G26 I have now certainly makes it much easier, even.

It really boils down to what you want it for. Range gun? G17. Carry? G19. Competition? While some use a 19, more use the 17.

I shoot my 17 in IDPA, GSSF, and Steel Challenge. Works for me. Personally... I'll never own a 19.
    For competition my 17 is fine, and I'll probably get a 34 for IDPA & Steel challenge.
    My 26 is great to carry.

Now, if I could only own ONE Glock... that's when I would think about the 19. One gun to fulfill two roles. It might not be "the best" at either of them, but a suitable substitution. With me... I can eventually see me having another 4 or 5.

A 27 for carry and I'll use my 26 for GSSF SubCompact competition. Then a G30 for GSSF Major Sub. A G35 for USPSA production. Hey... why own just one? Especially if you shoot GSSF. I've already won ONE gun (I chose my G26) via a random draw, and at 7+ matches a year, can see winning some more either that way or from performance (coming in first place).

Last edited: Nov 9, 2010
  5. mesteve2

mesteve2

I can hit a police cal. course with the duty size or compact with the same scores.

I do not know but have carried the compacts mostly for duty use.

I would like to get a 34 or 35 now.

Had a 35 and was not any better than the doty or combat for scores.

So I think they are all good.

:dunno:

6. tango44

tango44

7. Agent Tikki

Agent Tikki

Kin I ask, what do you plan on using it for?

The 19 has an almost cult status, its really is a jack of all trades kind of gun. I totally agree with Ron59, and myself have a full size and a sub compact, but the 19 was my first, and I do regret letting it go. Its a great gun. But I found that concealing on my smallish frame (5'9") was nowhere as easy as with a sub compact. If anything else, since you already have a few full sizers, go for the compact!

8. Restless28

Restless28

I have a 19, and considered getting rid of it for something different, but, in the end, the 19 has all the bases covered. Small enough for CCW, big enough for HD, 15 +1 rounds in a perfect-sized version of the 17. It sorta is the "jack-of-all-trades", IMO.

9. GlockPreacher

GlockPreacher

G19 hands down! I have that one (daily CCW) and a G31. Next purchase will be a subcompact (would actually like to trade my 31 for one)

You can't go wrong with either choice though...

10. TcRoc

TcRoc Phillies Fan !!

I have My Gen3 RTF G17 for sale because I like my GEN 4 G19 more,, just fits my hand better

11. Restless28

Restless28

I'm behind the times, I guess. My 19 is a 3rd gen. stock Austrian proofed gun. I like the looks of the pre-RTF G19.

12. Jakemug

Jakemug

love my 2nd gen G19. But my new Taurus 24/7 Pro is the same size and 17+1 capacity! Just sayin'

13. Wooderson76

Wooderson76

Get a gen 3 17.....just say no to gen 4s

14. cole

cole Millennium Member

Glock 17. If I want to CCW a 9mm it's my G26. I think the G19 is a great "one gun" gun. I owned three G19 and had ~25k through the lot. I could never shoot the G19 as well overall compared to the G17 and shot the G26 at least as well, maybe even better. The G19 is a great "jack-of-all-trades" but master of none. My G17/26 combo is better in every way IMO. If I want to shoot/CCW my G26 without a dangling pinky I can put my mags with Pearce extensions in my G26.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2010
  15. lucky-gunner

lucky-gunner

+1 Cole

You seem to have a preference for full sized handguns, and stated concealing them wasn't an issue. With that in mind I would lean towards a G17 3rd Gen. I have a 23 and while it's concealable. I feel like I might as well be concealing a full size. When you get to the compacts there is a marked difference. I've always looked a subcompacts as full sized for those with small hands or compact for those with giant hands.

I would just get which ever you prefer though. You can't go wrong with a 17 or 19 as long as you like it.

16. deeHKman

deeHKman "It Is Written"

I like them Both. So i bought 2 of each. I carry my EDC the G32 .357sig on the 19 plarform. There both great guns i can shoot either rather well. Good luck,

17. ProtectedByGlock

ProtectedByGlock

G19 all the way, you give up too much size for 2 extra shots , IMO

18. robin303

robin303 Helicopter Nut

I have both and shoot the 19 a lot better. :dunno:

19. VA_Glocker

VA_Glocker

Like you.. I shot both G17 & G19 before buying the G19. Hence, its upon your preference and easy of use.

I always say that the gun should be an extension of your hand.. that's it.!

20. pennlineman

pennlineman

I have both, I like the 19 better. A good balance of size, weight and capacity.