close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock 17 or Glock 19? Price? Problems?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Moe Syzlak, Jan 27, 2005.

1. Moe Syzlak

Moe Syzlak

I am considering between two Glocks, the G-17 and th G-19. I have read good things about both and I have been thinking about both. Right now all that I want it for is target practice and home defense but I could picture myself getting a Concealed Carry License sometime in the future but the Glock would be my first 9mm pistol. I was wondering what experiance people had and their opinion as to the better weapon for thease needs. Mostly I want to shoot a great deal and have a good gun for a good price.
    Thanks

2. trozau

trozau troy ounce gold

If your hands are not big, the compact size G19 would be better as they would be easier to carry concealed. :cool:

3. cnarramoore

cnarramoore Just Trollin'

I fondeled a lot of glocks over the last month. I was leaning toward a 40 but I wanted a compact. The 19 really seemed more comfortable than the 23. I know the frames are the same but the 19 just felt better.

4. Top_Notch

Top_Notch

Between the 17 and 19 I'd go 19. It's size seems to be ideal, and it balances nicely. It conceals easily as well.

The 9/40 debate is up to you. I used my 19 (I also have a 26) for both range and HD for over a year mainly because 9mm offered me more practice for the same amount of money and there are plenty of HP premium rounds so you won't feel undergunned.

5. Moe Syzlak

Moe Syzlak

I agree with you, I want to get a hell of a lot of practice without paying a hell of a lot of money so 9 is looking good. I am definatly leaning more toward the 19 myself.

6. Top_Notch

Top_Notch

My first firearm was a 19 and I was not disappointed. Now that the AWB has ended and 15 round standard capacity magazines are available cheaply I'm even happier. It's just a great overall gun. I liked it so much I bought it's little brother from someone off this board, a little G26. The G17 seemed to me, an overly large platform for 9mm. It didn't balance as well as the 19 IMO, and seemed "top heavy".

I skipped 40 altogether and when I was ready to branch out I went rigth to 45. I wanted a full-sized gun. So for a full size (45ACP) I stuck with tradition and bought a 1911. (I never understood the argument the 40 guys through around about bigger is better, because otherwise they'd be shooting 10mm)

But I had my 19 a long time before I expanded out of 9mm, and I love to put 3 to 4 hundred rounds downrange at a time and 9mm fits the bill. It's just a great overall gun, and a good first one too.

As far as price, it varies greatly by region. But I picked up a new one for $500 (no night sites either) but here in Hellinois they are not as cheap as everywhere else. I bought the G26 used for $400 and it came with nightsights...a much better deal. $465-525 is about the average range. You will no problems with either the 19 or 17.

7. Jon17

Jon17

I had both. Sold the 19 because it pinched my knuckle under the trigger guard. My hands are a litle larger than average. Love my 17.

8. 6mm

6mm Millennium Member

I have carried a Glock 19, on and off duty since 1998. I wouldn't have it any other way. Light, compact and never a malfunction, in over 10,000 rds. The only problem was some ten round mags with bad followers, would not lock the slide back, on an empty mag.

6mm