glock 17(( need a lil help))

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by gunslinger686, Feb 20, 2010.

Tags:
  1. gunslinger686

gunslinger686

Went to the range today and shooting from 25yrds first shot would be ok then the next 3-4 would be to the left of the first shot 3-6 in ,tried this a few times and noticed this to be consistent,first shot would be good then the next few drift to the left. My buddy tried it same thing with him. What could be going on .

2. 17z

17z

Its called flinching or pulling when firing what it sounds and looks like. Get a stiffer grip on it with your hands.17z

3. pmcsurf1

pmcsurf1

have you tried shooting several shots using a sand bag?
    I would try that first. If the shots are right on with the bag then 17z's right. You're pulling it. Try a stronger weak hand grip.
    Hope that helps.

4. Brain Virus

Brain Virus

I seem to have the same problem.... i think. My 17 seemed to be shooting low and to the left.

What are some techniques to combat this? I think I had a firm grip. I am new to shooting a higher powered handgun, and i don't want to develop bad habits. I have been shooting .22 pistols, but there is almost no recoil on those compared with my 17

5. jhayesvw

jhayesvw

.22 pistols usually have a very light trigger.
    Glocks have a much heavier, 2 stage trigger.
    they are not easy to shoot well at first.

pull smoothly through the shot, let the shot surprise you.
    you will do fine shooting slowly.
    as for shooting fast, im still working on doing that very well.

6. Brain Virus

Brain Virus

Would it be helpful it drop down to a 3.5 lb trigger?

7. RedHaze

RedHaze Handgunner

I noticed a big difference when I got a "-" connector in my G23. Almost night and day.

8. mike55

mike55

Check how much of your trigger finger is on the trigger.If you are using just the pad of your finger you may be pushing the pistol to the left. If you have too much on the trigger you have a tendancy to pull to the right.

9. Brain Virus

Brain Virus

Thanks for all the tips, I know I am not the OP, but its very helpful.

10. SIGShooter

SIGShooter Hucklebucks

Every gun I have ever owned (Except 2) I have had to drift the sights to the right.

60-40 grip. 60% week hand-40% strong hand.

Shoot from a rest first. Start at 5 yards and work out to 7 yards. See what that yields you in regards to accuracy. Try different techniques with different grips. Thumbs up, thumbs down, thumbs tucked etc...Try different types of ammunition as well. Ammo can cause differences in accuracy.

Try it from the rest, weaver, modified weaver, isosceles.

If you yield the same results, try drifting your sights to the right and then repeat.

One thing I do with every new gun: I will take a standard IDPA card board target and I will draw circles on it. I will put a dot dead center of the circle and that is my aiming point. I will shoot 5 rounds into each circle. I will repeat that process with different types of ammunition. Once I have it down, if it is needed I will adjust the sights.

This is all just my opinion of course.

11. jesse2205

jesse2205

I can guarantee you that the g17 is extremely accurate. I have one myself and had problems after the first shot. I recommend keeping it in the 7-15 yrd range for a while and practicing your trigger control.

12. takemine2

takemine2

Do you have the same issue with your shots at 3yds, 5yds, or even 15yds out? I can understand they may be that off at 25yds. Try these attached targets. They may help you to discover the issue...

Attached Files:

13. robin303

robin303 Helicopter Nut

14. gunslinger686

gunslinger686

Ok the rest of the story,,,my bud and me were having a friendly match today ,best 3 shot group .Shooting from a table seated used my gun bag as a rest first shot was great each time!!!,the second left 4-6 or 8 in third left even farther ,was not shooting fast ,taking careful aim (winner gets a lunch) so i was really taking my time. I hope it is me, i have not shot this kinda trigger or this gun much ( shoot 1911's mostly) LOVE the gun ,,the trigger not so much.