close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock 17 Misfire

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by 45gunner, Jan 25, 2006.

Tags:
  1. 45gunner

45gunner

During a shooting match my buddies Glock 17 misfired several times. After observing several S & B rounds it seems as though the firing pin was not hitting the center and would hit at different place not in the center of the primer. The strike were very light. It was as if the bullet was not fulley chambered and the firing pin may have been riding on the primer as the bullet seated when going into battery.

This is just my observation. Anyone seen a problem like this before?

2. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

I suspect your buddie's reloads are at fault.

3. 45gunner

45gunner

All of the rounds that misfired where S & B factory rounds. The reloads shot prior to having problems worked ok. The key point here is the striker was not hitting the same place every time and was a light strike.

4. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

S&B is not quality ammo. If your friend has to use it, have him barrel check each round in the box before loading them into the mags. Otherwise try some Blazer, American Eagle or WWB.

His striker channel may be dirty. Has he installed any aftermarket parts?

5. 45gunner

45gunner

From what I have seen S& B is the most accurate to shoot in matches and I personelly have never had a bad round. If it is the ammo it would be the first I have every heard anyone saying anything negative about S & B ammo but he did only have problems with S & B ammo. Anything is possible.

The thing you might not have picked up on is if the striker does not hit the center of the rounds consistantly and somtimes on the very edge I doubt if it's a bullet quality issue but thats just my two cent worth.

6. Dandapani

Dandapani

An off-center primer strike suggests the slide wasn't fully in battery when the firing pin struck the primer.

7. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

Which could have been caused by a loaded round not being properly sized to fit the chamber. It sure is strange if it wasn't the ammo that it only occurred with the S&B ammo and not your friends reloads. That to me points to out of speck ammo. If it was the gun you should have had the same problem with either ammo not just the one. Anyone can produce out of speck ammo from time to time. It would not be the first time that factory ammo caused a malfunction. No one is perfect all the time.

But that is just my thoughts.

8. Dandapani

Dandapani

No, I think you nailed it. ^c

9. Allman

Allman

Were the reloads he was shooting first lead and, if so, could lead residue have crudded up the chamber just enough to cause the S&B stuff to drag or stick a bit while chambering?

I've shot S&B before in a number of calibers and gauges and never had any type of problem. 'Course, that doesn't mean it wasn't a bad lot of S&B.

10. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

It is entirely possible, but that info was never given. Of course it's not too smart to shoot lead through a Glock and then follow up by shooting Jacketed/Plated bullets immediately after. Just asking for KB's and I don't like using that term because I feel the majority of the KB's are from stupidity, not all but a great percentage. You possible scenario is a good case in point.

11. 45gunner

45gunner

I found out some more info. It looks like S&B and CCI did not fire either. Also when the shooter tried to pull the trigger it had never been reset. So apparantly the striker was not catching on the trigger bar. Excuse me as I may be using the wrong terminology.

I thought someone my have seen this problem before. Apparantly not.