GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Beretta 92 Nut!
5,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put together two Glock 17 mags with the +2 factory extsion. I got that 2nd part that goes inside. And, I got the strong 11 coil springs to replace what was in the magazine before I took it apart.

I can only load up 18 rounds - not 19. And, that 18th round is a bear - I have to use that Glock mag loader to push it down enough to get the 18th round in.

As these are new springs - will this change with some use - or should I be able to get 19 rounds into them right away?

·
1911 lover
10,141 Posts
New mags are crazy tight. Just load them down a couple rounds a while. And eventually they will be fine. As you use them the springs will ease up a bit.

·
Beretta 92 Nut!
5,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok. I put 18 rounds in it for now and put them back in the closet.

The 17 round mags with the original springs loaded 17 with no issues... (Before I changed out the internals)

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Could also be the magazines generations, because my gen 3 G-17 magazines with part# 7151 with wedge hold twenty rounds of 9mm.
One in the pipe and my twenty-one round Gen 3 G-17 is good to go.

·
Mr. Awesome
10,408 Posts
Instead of leaving them loaded, I would empty the mag and reload it a few times. This will do more to get the spring where you can fully load.

Reactions: quantico

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
Rounds is a false sense of security, learning to hit target is the best thing with one shot, first shot. Better to run away from fight, as even if your right, you will face civil action for fixeing a firearm. If you do face civil action be prepared to write a check for 25-50K.

FREEDEOM is not FREE.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Could also be the magazines generations, because my gen 3 G-17 magazines with part# 7151 with wedge hold twenty rounds of 9mm.
I have older, stock mags/mags springs/fallowers and am using the stock "+" 7151 floor plate with the "+" 7165 insert and am able to load 20 rds using a Maglula double stack mag loader, never had to down load to get them to set for the 20 rds.

I have never been able to insert and seat the mag loaded with 20 rounds in my 17/ 23 with a 40 to 9 mm conversion barrel/ AR9 with the weapon in battery, so slide back, insert mag, slide home, 1 in the pipe, 19 in the mag.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Make sure the insert (7165 Glock pn) has to be seated correctly! You can see it thru the 7161 extension hole, if not it wont allow the last round.

All gen 9mm mags will accept the +2 rounds no matter what follower # you have with the 10 or 11 coil spring.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
The follower design on the Glock #3 follower was the best of all times! it will allow 18 rounds in a stock mag or 20 on a 7161 extension with 10 coil spring!
Still have several in use!
Greatest mags ever made!

·
Beretta 92 Nut!
5,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, these are 5th gen mags. Brand new. I bought them and the extension pieces, and I took them apart and put the extensions on with the new springs

·
NRA member
822 Posts
Rounds is a false sense of security, learning to hit target is the best thing with one shot, first shot. Better to run away from fight, as even if your right, you will face civil action for fixeing a firearm. If you do face civil action be prepared to write a check for 25-50K.

FREEDEOM is not FREE.
Do you have any citations?

·
Beretta 92 Nut!
5,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Make sure the insert (7165 Glock pn) has to be seated correctly! You can see it thru the 7161 extension hole, if not it wont allow the last round.

All gen 9mm mags will accept the +2 rounds no matter what follower # you have with the 10 or 11 coil spring.
I am not sure I follow. So, the internal part has to be seated correctly. I got that. But once you put the outer piece onto the bottom of the mag - you can't see anything. It is 1 solid piece.

I don't even know how to take the mag extension off the mag once it is put on. It's not like the normal baseplates after that point.

·
Beretta 92 Nut!
5,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

FREEDEOM is not FREE.
This has zero baring on this thread at all...

I added the +2's because I have a gun at Taran Tactical getting customized. And when I get it back, it will have magwell on it.

I need the mag to be longer for the magwell...

What does your post even have to do with this thread....

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
I did one of mine (Gen4) and I get 19 rounds in with ease. I'm on the original spring, though. I called & emailed Glock and both techs told me to keep the original spring. Feeds fine. No issues.
StreamlightTLR1HLoff.JPG

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Yes I can see a Gen 5 mag being different, people have tried to put a 7151 and wedge baseplate on a 10 rd mag which doesn't work because of the wedge. Part 1967 Glock (+) baseplates from the beginning added to a 10 rd neutered magazine will allow one more round to be added but why bother.
Hey 17-18 rds of 9mm Fed HST or Win PDX-1 in my opinion should be enough.

So Shadow that's a 20 rd G-17 with one in the pipe, what ammo do you carry? Sig right?

·
Registered
622 Posts
I am not sure I follow. So, the internal part has to be seated correctly. I got that. But once you put the outer piece onto the bottom of the mag - you can't see anything. It is 1 solid piece.

I don't even know how to take the mag extension off the mag once it is put on. It's not like the normal baseplates after that point.

Look through the little hole on the bottom.

148B299F-73B8-44B6-BFCB-7A4EFC4AAFE4.jpeg

·
Registered
622 Posts
I didn't notice that hole on mine. I will look again when I get home. Thanks
That little hole is how you will take off the base plate. Use a Glock tool and push the insert up to where the base plate will slide off. On that mag the insert didn’t seat flat down on the base so I had to push up through that little hole with my Glock tool to get it to seat down on the base plate.

·
Beretta 92 Nut!
5,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That little hole is how you will take off the base plate. Use a Glock tool and push the insert up to where the base plate will slide off.
Yea, that's how I took the factory plates off. I just thought the extensions had no hole in them. But, I'll look when I get home and see if that pin is seated right. Thanks.

I think I"m going to buy one of those mag plate removal tools. I got the first mag plate off without too much trouble - using plyers. But the 2nd one. Damn... Took almost 25 minutes to get the damn thing off.

·
Beretta 92 Nut!
5,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I did one of mine (Gen4) and I get 19 rounds in with ease. I'm on the original spring, though. I called & emailed Glock and both techs told me to keep the original spring. Feeds fine. No issues.
View attachment 851094
I had numerous people tell me to change to the factory 11 coil spring so the spring doesn't stop locking the slide back over time...

It does make sense that if you make the mag longer, you need a different spring...

1 - 20 of 44 Posts