Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well today was the day. I got up this morning and headed down to the fun shop to post bail for my new Glock 17 Gen4, which was patiently waiting for me to get her off layaway. Since this was a birthday gift from my Wife we made the day of it and took the new smoke wagon to the range for a thorough workout.

I am pleased to report that the new Glock 17 Gen4 was in fact "Perfect" during our range visit today.
I was unsure what to expect because there were some isolated complaints on this forum, but anyone who has been around gun forums for any amount of time knows the people with "issues" always seem to have the loudest voice.
Since we went straight from the gun shop to the range I only had time to do a quick wipe down of the shipping grease that comes on all new guns and gave the rails a quick drop of militech oil before shooting.

I started off with 10 rounds in the first mag (Pistol came with 3x 17 round mags-SWEET!) and took it slow. The trigger felt a little stiff at first, but was very crisp. I did not have a gauge to mesure the pull, but I would guess it was around the 5-6lb pull. The break was very clean with the reset being very crisp and pronounced.
If I had to guess it felt like Glock might have changed the trigger just a tad from the Gen3. I have a Gen3 G30SF and this new G17 feels a little more pronounced than the stock trigger on the G30, but it is a new pistol so I'm sure it will change as rounds are fed through it. At the moment I have no plans to throw a different connector in the gun as it feels just right as is out of the box.

Second thing I noticed after the initial trigger press and reset was the recoil or lack of it. When cycling the slide empty you can tell the action on the slide is a little stiffer than what I was used to on other full size recoil systems. Even my Glock 30, which has a telescopic recoil system like the new Gen4, felt a little more relaxed compared to the Gen4. To be fair my G30 has several hundred rounds through it while this new Gen4 has only 10. lol I'm sure it will loosen up over time.
Having said that I thought the recoil was great! Muzzle flip was almost non existent and follow up shots were simple when manipulating the trigger out to the reset.
My first shot through the gun was a little high and about 2 inches from center (25ft to target). Follow up shots after that slowly worked their way down to 1 inch groups dead center. It was just a pleasure to shoot and felt good in my hands.

That brings me to the grip and the new texture. I fired probably around 80 rounds today through the gun and I can't remember having to readjust my grip one time. I've felt the RTF and RTF2 grips at the shop and know how aggressive those grips are , but I wasn't sure how this toned down version of the RTF would do. To my surprise it was spot on perfect for me. I had a good grip without any pain or discomfort.
The new SF style grip also gave me more reach to the trigger. I tried the medium grip panel and found it still comfortable, but the as is standard SF grip gave me more bend in my trigger finger and allowed me to place the pad of my finger right where I wanted it with a perfect 90 degree angle. I think people who normally couldn't shoot Glocks because of the big grips will suddenly find themselves able to to shoot Glocks without any issues now. This will sell more Glocks I think.

If I had one gripe about the new Gen4 it's probably the same gripe I have about all Glocks. I'm not a big fan of the plastic sights that come standard on the Glock. Now I realize they do the job and some folks like them, but I just like traditional 3 dot sights. I guess if that's my only gripe then Glock must be doing something right.

Up until a couple of years ago I was not a Glock fan and while I still don't consider myself a full fledged cool aid drinker I have come to admire these "tupper ware Guns"
I purchased a G30 SF a couple of years ago not knowing if I would like it or not and ended up carrying it ever since. When my Wife asked me what I wanted for my birthday I had a lot of options including a nice 45LC revolver, but as I started to think about competing again I started looking at the new Gen4 and now I'm glad I did.

So anyway, I'm giving the new Gen4 two big fat thumbs up and I say purchase with confidence. I like the changes and I think it's going to bring a lot more people into the Glock community because of those changes.

Now for the traditional baby photos.:rock:

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh and I apologize for any grammatical errors as I was typing fast without spell check. lol.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I was shooting up some left over Winchester WWB from a year ago (FMJ).

For what it's worth, and as much as it pains me to admit this because I really like them, my Wife's M&P40c had two FTF during a 50 round session. One FTF happened while she was shooting and the other happened while I was shooting. She also had the slide lock back with rounds left in the mag, but I think she inadvertently hit the slide lock on that one.
I am pretty sure the FTF was ammo related because we were using 40 cal brazzer brass ammo and it has a flat top jacketed round, but I am also confident had we been shooting that ammo through a Glock it would have cycled no problem.
Not a knock against the M&P because I still like them a lot, but today didn't help my confidence in this particular pistol.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If anyone knows please let me know. What does the MBS on the right side of the frame mean. On the SF models it says "SF" in the same spot. Just curious what this abbreviation means.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ah good call. sounds logical to me.

·
Polymer Butcher
8,093 Posts

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Congrats on a new gun. I had my Gen 4 out yesterday. it is a very smooth shooter. When I was done I took a look at a RFT G22, and I noticed the same thing about the recoil spring is stiffer in my Gen4 than a Gen3.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Well today was the day. I got up this morning and headed down to the fun shop to post bail for my new Glock 17 Gen4, which was patiently waiting for me to get her off layaway. Since this was a birthday gift from my Wife we made the day of it and took the new smoke wagon to the range for a thorough workout.

I am pleased to report that the new Glock 17 Gen4 was in fact "Perfect" during our range visit today.
I was unsure what to expect because there were some isolated complaints on this forum, but anyone who has been around gun forums for any amount of time knows the people with "issues" always seem to have the loudest voice.
Since we went straight from the gun shop to the range I only had time to do a quick wipe down of the shipping grease that comes on all new guns and gave the rails a quick drop of militech oil before shooting.

I started off with 10 rounds in the first mag (Pistol came with 3x 17 round mags-SWEET!) and took it slow. The trigger felt a little stiff at first, but was very crisp. I did not have a gauge to mesure the pull, but I would guess it was around the 5-6lb pull. The break was very clean with the reset being very crisp and pronounced.
If I had to guess it felt like Glock might have changed the trigger just a tad from the Gen3. I have a Gen3 G30SF and this new G17 feels a little more pronounced than the stock trigger on the G30, but it is a new pistol so I'm sure it will change as rounds are fed through it. At the moment I have no plans to throw a different connector in the gun as it feels just right as is out of the box.

Second thing I noticed after the initial trigger press and reset was the recoil or lack of it. When cycling the slide empty you can tell the action on the slide is a little stiffer than what I was used to on other full size recoil systems. Even my Glock 30, which has a telescopic recoil system like the new Gen4, felt a little more relaxed compared to the Gen4. To be fair my G30 has several hundred rounds through it while this new Gen4 has only 10. lol I'm sure it will loosen up over time.
Having said that I thought the recoil was great! Muzzle flip was almost non existent and follow up shots were simple when manipulating the trigger out to the reset.
My first shot through the gun was a little high and about 2 inches from center (25ft to target). Follow up shots after that slowly worked their way down to 1 inch groups dead center. It was just a pleasure to shoot and felt good in my hands.

That brings me to the grip and the new texture. I fired probably around 80 rounds today through the gun and I can't remember having to readjust my grip one time. I've felt the RTF and RTF2 grips at the shop and know how aggressive those grips are , but I wasn't sure how this toned down version of the RTF would do. To my surprise it was spot on perfect for me. I had a good grip without any pain or discomfort.
The new SF style grip also gave me more reach to the trigger. I tried the medium grip panel and found it still comfortable, but the as is standard SF grip gave me more bend in my trigger finger and allowed me to place the pad of my finger right where I wanted it with a perfect 90 degree angle. I think people who normally couldn't shoot Glocks because of the big grips will suddenly find themselves able to to shoot Glocks without any issues now. This will sell more Glocks I think.

If I had one gripe about the new Gen4 it's probably the same gripe I have about all Glocks. I'm not a big fan of the plastic sights that come standard on the Glock. Now I realize they do the job and some folks like them, but I just like traditional 3 dot sights. I guess if that's my only gripe then Glock must be doing something right.

Up until a couple of years ago I was not a Glock fan and while I still don't consider myself a full fledged cool aid drinker I have come to admire these "tupper ware Guns"
I purchased a G30 SF a couple of years ago not knowing if I would like it or not and ended up carrying it ever since. When my Wife asked me what I wanted for my birthday I had a lot of options including a nice 45LC revolver, but as I started to think about competing again I started looking at the new Gen4 and now I'm glad I did.

So anyway, I'm giving the new Gen4 two big fat thumbs up and I say purchase with confidence. I like the changes and I think it's going to bring a lot more people into the Glock community because of those changes.

Now for the traditional baby photos.:rock:

Thanks for thre Report ... good info.
I'm planning to buy one like it very soon and will replace the sights with Dawsons in the Tritium Version with their Adjustable Rear Sight.
Ken

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well technically with the Gen4 you are running 2 recoil springs on top of each other that telescope when compressed.
At first I thought this might be overkill with a 9mm and especially a fullsize 9mm, but it seems to handle lower weight ammo just fine.

I bought some of that 124grn swiss 9mm from walmart the other day and will try that next, but I don't foresee any issues.

I think next up is a decent tac light since this will be a nightstand gun when not using it for competition and a good holster. Oh and one of those 33rd mags just because they are cool. lol

1 - 20 of 25 Posts