close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock 17 Gen4 Internals

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by lanceriley, Aug 11, 2012.

Tags:
  1. lanceriley

lanceriley

Hi im a new Glockster =)

I have a spanking new glock 17 gen4. I was planning to replace ....

1.) connector to ghost ultimate connector 3.5
    2.) stainless pins / titanium pins
    3.) titanium striker.

will all these internals fit? or is there a different internal parts for gen4?

2. tnpatriot

tnpatriot

All these parts will fit. I think the trigger bar and recoil springs are the only parts that are different.

3. Bruce M

Bruce M

Congratulations on your new Glock. I would probably shoot it first before I changed anything, but that's probably just me.

4. Socks tear

Socks tear

I would shoot at least 500 rounds before messing with the trigger pull. The Gen 4's have a very nice trigger feel, and a number of people have gone through all manner of springs and connectors and go back to stock. The titanium pins and striker are a waste of money and of no benefit

5. Glock Junkie

Glock Junkie

+1. As far as a titanium striker, you can get a lot of light strikes and the rocket connector is 100% better than the drop in IMO

6. lanceriley

lanceriley

wow! that's a lot of replies in a few minutes..

i've actually shot about 200 rounds off it. dry fired about another 200-300 lol.

I need it to have a trigger pull of about 5 lbs for IPSC.

ok I can crush out the striker...

the pins... well.. just for the looks.. they may come later.

so basically.. it's the ghost ultimate connector 3.5

Im a 1911 guy. i've been shooting a custom 1911 for like ... 4-5 years.. of all the luck. I won this glock at a raffle! the 1911 guy won a glock! lol

7. AustinTx

AustinTx

I have to suggest, just leave it, as it came.

8. c.helm

c.helm

I too just picked up a Gen 4 G17. So far I like it more than my G3 19. I really like the grip and feel of the gen 4.

I need to get out and shoot the 17 some more!

9. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

:thumbsup: Ahh, the voice of experience!

#1. Don't. All you'll get is a mushy trigger.

#2. What in the world for?

#3. Don't. Believe it, or not, you're better off with a steel striker.

Why don't you wait until you solve your, 'BTF' :supergrin: problems before you start monkeying around with a pistol design you really don't understand, and are going to take awhile in order to figure out. ;)

10. cajun_chooter

cajun_chooter

i bought a G19/4 about 3 months ago.. have shot it about
    1200 rds thus far... it was suppose to be my carry weapon.. but the dimples on the handle rub my side raw after about 2 hrs.... IWB... so i bought a G19/3... but i prefer the trigger on the gen 4 & the mag release button is easier to use on the G4 ..... guess i will have to sand the handle on the gen 4 for CCW purposes...

11. lanceriley

lanceriley

what's BTF?

I've decided to stay with the steel striker.

I've understood the trigger mechanism. I can hit the alpha consistently now at 15 yards.

I've had a friend take it apart to show me how it works.. and yes.. it's pretty much simpler than a 1911

I want a better trigger pull.

12. SouthpawG26

SouthpawG26

If you want to play under IPSC Production rules, which indeed specifies a 5lb trigger pull, you cannot use an aftermarket striker, connector and/or springs. OEM only.

A good polish of the stock parts will get you very close to 5lbs.

You could get by with using a "-" connector in the fairly new gun, but your trigger will smooth out with use and is likely to drop below 5lb after some time.

By the way, USPSA Production rules don't specify the 5lb rule, it's an IPSC international match rule.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2012
  13. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

:headscratch: 'What's BTF?' (That's what I said, last week, when I first ran into this acronym!)

BTF = 'Brass-To-Face' It's an all too common problem with new third and fourth generation Glock pistols, and seems to be caused by oversized MIM (or, 'dip') extractors with sloppy mechanical tolerances.

If you're consistently hitting the, 'A-Zone' at 15 yards you're doing well. Keep it up! Do you know how to run a Dremel Tool? A high polish on a Glock's internal components goes a long way to improving the overall trigger pull. If your pistol came with the new dot, ( . ) connector I'd suggest you stay with it.

In my experience, the largest single component in a Glock's trigger mechanism - the one that most adversely affects the trigger pull - is the Firing Pin Safety. The more of a polish you can get on the top of the trigger bar's Safety Cam, or on the FP Safety, itself, the better your trigger pull is going to be.

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sugexp...pw.r_qf.&fp=ecafb431a5767fd7&biw=1016&bih=596

Last edited: Aug 12, 2012
  14. lanceriley

lanceriley

southpaw,

I shoot ipsc. Im from the Philippines. Hence the 5 lb rule applies.

arc angel,

BTF. so far brass has been approx 4 o clock. consistently. I guess Im one of the lucky ones. We had a gun club member with a glock that consistently throws brass in his face! 50% of the time. I remembered him being so pissed off that he asked his secretary to write a letter to glock telling them their Glock perfection pistol isn't so perfect lol.

Yep i do know how to run a dremel.. haven't gotten to that part yet .. Im gona have to do it before my next range time. Just scared to mess it up.

thanks for the tip

15. SouthpawG26

SouthpawG26

For Production Division you can do a good trigger polish, add some grip tape (though you may not need that on a gen 4) and good sights and that's about the limit of allowable modifications.

16. lanceriley

lanceriley

southpawg26,

I just polished the surface on the striker with a nylon buff slightly... say.. it did improve the trigger! going to take the whole gun apart later today.

you mentioned good sights.. any suggestion? IPSC production shooters here shoot what they carry.

17. SouthpawG26

SouthpawG26

My favorite competition sight set is the Warren Tactical Sevigny set with fiber optic front, but if you carry this gun as well, and you would therefore like to have tritium as well, you may want to look at either the Truglo TFO'S or the Ameriglo I Dot Pro, although the latter doesn't have fiber optics but the bright front sight paint gives a somewhat similar effect. Of these two, the Ameriglos have more of a competition style sight picture.

Or, if you don't want/need fiber optics, there is a Sevigny carry sight set with tritium.

18. .38 super

.38 super Observer

+1 to both of the above opinions.

19. lanceriley

lanceriley

20. SouthpawG26

SouthpawG26

Thats a great sight set as well, also available with tritium for carry duty.