Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
View: https://youtu.be/zvhtyNQXz9g

I spent the weekend 2/3 days of it getting good and friendly with the 17 Gen 5. Check out the video above! Bottom line it is as good or better as any of the Gen 4 guns. On the 17 size frame I'm glad the finger grooves are gone. The ambi slide release is a big deal for me being a lefty.

I didn't think I would like the flared magwell as much as i did. For me it aided in stripping a stuck mag and did seem to simplify the reload process. That coupled with the ambi slide release and mag release made the process easier (read that as smoother). I am still faster racking the slide but that has more to do with muscle memory than anything else.

The new finish has the whole "slightly darker black" thing going for it. We will obviously see over time how it holds up compared to the other generation guns. One of the often discussed feature changes has been the trigger. Best comparison I can make is a G43 trigger. They feel about the same out of the box factory spec. This is the best out of the box Glock trigger yet but still doesn't rise to the level of aftermarket custom stuff.

The new mags seem to be good to go and the gun ran with both the new style and the Magpul GL9 variety. The orange follower is a decent safety feature at best. The new mags do have a "shelf" or "lip" on the front portion that allow for stripping in conjunction with the flared magwell and the front cutout.

Gun cycled 999 rounds perfectly and would not chamber one terribly out of spec factory round that wouldn't even pass the "plunk" test in the barrel with the gun disassembled. I even shot the thing upside down and limp waisted on camera just to see if I could choke it.

The barrel is different and seems to be the same as a G19 as supposed to the different lock up in the previous 17 guns. It has a bit of a recessed crown and they are calling it a "match" barrel. The thing is accurate for sure but I'm not sure if the new barrel is more so than a Gen 4. Short of a ransom rest I'm not sure you could really tell.

Bottom line I needed a 17 anyway. Its a nice step forward but not enough to make me trade all my Gen 4 guns. We'll see how the 30000 round benchmark Glock set works out. Im currently 3% of the way there! :)

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
Did you do the drop test while you were at it?

Reactions: 6Actual

·
Premium Member
4,991 Posts
Lol no I left my flip flops, safety glasses, and hammer in my other bag.
Ha!

Thanks for the review. Good to hear it is off to a solid start. Can't blame a gun for ammo that won't even fit into a barrel, so I will count that as 100%!

Reactions: Green Mountain Boy

·
Registered
31,692 Posts
That reminds me, I've never limp-wrist tested my Gen 2 19.

·
Registered
2 Posts
There is no need to drop test a Glock. It is impossible for a Glock to go off unless the trigger is pulled all the way back. Get with the times,he's not talking about a a Sig!Trying to be paranoid is just wierd.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
There is no need to drop test a Glock. It is impossible for a Glock to go off unless the trigger is pulled all the way back. Get with the times,he's not talking about a a Sig!Trying to be paranoid is just wierd.
I mean I'm not against drop testing

·
Glock pistols designed by Gaston Glock , Austria
762 Posts
I agree, there is no need to do a drop test on a brand new GLOCK , many others have already done it for you, no need to damage your gun to see for yourself.

the tests have been done many times, and it's a proven design

1 - 20 of 24 Posts