Glock Talk banner

Glock 17 Gen 4, rust or copper fouling?

1602 Views 17 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  crkckr
Hello!

had a question about my Glock 17 I’ve had this firearm now for a year and clean it after every time after the range I’ve shot maybe 200 rounds in total through it, but for some reason I just noticed some type of streaks in the barrel that looks like rust, the gun has never been exposed to water so I’m sorta confused as to what it is.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
1,331 Posts
Hello!

had a question about my Glock 17 I’ve had this firearm now for a year and clean it after every time after the range I’ve shot maybe 200 rounds in total through it, but for some reason I just noticed some type of streaks in the barrel that looks like rust, the gun has never been exposed to water so I’m sorta confused as to what it is.
Copper fouling. Normal build-up - no worries. Just needs a good cleaning.

Reference thread with some information:
Glock 19 - Brand new Glock 19 Gen 5. Weird Looking Barrel, copper fouling or rust? | Glock Forum - GlockTalk

Take a look at Mike-M's post#8 and other posts for some tips.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

· Registered
9,601 Posts
I scrub the bore with copper solvent every so often, but mostly I just leave the visible copper in there. I've seen gun writers' works that implore you to remove all signs of fouling, but then next week they are zeroing the rifle and have to fire about three "fouling shots" before doing anything.
Which is it?

· Registered
2,036 Posts
awesome thank you!
I have to apologize as I did an internet search and I can’t seem to find the Outers Foamimg Bore Cleaner. The bottle that I have, I’ve had for quite awhile. I will have to go to Sportsman’s Warehouse and see if they have any. This product is outstanding and I’m quite disappointed in the search results.

· Registered
G45MOS G42
1,120 Posts
I second the Hoppe #9. Only thing I have ever used, and I really don't have any visible copper fouling. However, I don't shoot hundreds or thousands of rounds at a time, nor do I leave the pistol uncleaned after shooting. If someone does that, maybe that foaming stuff would be a good deal. I may pick up some of that myself.

· Registered
609 Posts
There are quite a few products that will remove copper fouling from your barrel without scrubbing of any kind. Wipe Out, Hoppe' Elite (slow), Sweets 7.62, and Montana Copper Killer are just a few that I know for a fact that actually work! My preference is Wipe Out because it won't hurt your barrel if you leave it in too long. The others can cause problems and in most cases should not be left in the barrel for more than maybe 15 minutes. The days of scrubbing your barrel with anything are long gone... unless you shoot lead bullets! There is only one thing on the market that removes lead and that's Outers Foul-Out, which is a reverse plating method. I have not found any chemical products that have any effect at all on lead! By which, I mean put a drop of the stuff on a piece of soft lead and see what does. Every single one I have tested had zero results! The copper fouling chemicals will, at the very least, discolor a piece of brass. Some will eat holes in it! That's the good stuff! Just don't leave it in your barrel too long! RTFD, as they say.
Cheers,
crkckr

· Registered
4,535 Posts
A barrel does not have to be cleaned to spotless to be accurate
while precision rifles may be a different story, with pistols a little fouling isn’t going to matter, I shoot well enough to win a gun in gssf master class every so often, and give very little attention to cleaning.
a few passes of a brass brush a few patches and I am done. Most times I don’t even use any solve at all. Just knock the majority of gunk out and keep trucking.

· MacGyver
10,807 Posts
Blasphemy, and Heresy ! :LOL:

Gun must always look virginal. A gun is a precious heirloom. Cleaning with lot's of brand name gun products is mandatory (sarcasm, dripping).

A barrel does not have to be cleaned to spotless to be accurate
while precision rifles may be a different story, with pistols a little fouling isn’t going to matter, I shoot well enough to win a gun in gssf master class every so often, and give very little attention to cleaning.
a few passes of a brass brush a few patches and I am done. Most times I don’t even use any solve at all. Just knock the majority of gunk out and keep trucking.

· Registered
609 Posts
I don't usually worry about how the interior of my pistol barrel looks while practicing a lot or doing load development but when I'm done, I want the barrel clean, mainly because I don't know how long it wil be until I shoot it again. Plus the longer you go with little or no cleaning, the harder it is to get clean again. Shooting lead bullets is the worst in my book! I will never buy lead bullets again as long as coated are available!

Cleaning up after shooting jacketed or plated bullets is a breeze these days if you use any of the chemicals I mentioned in post #13. I use Hoppes #9 as a first run at dirty bores but only because I bought a gallon of it years ago. It will remove a little of any copper fouling but not all, not by any means (but I still love the smell). You can clean a bore with Hoppes and then run some Wipe Out down the bore, let it sit for 20 minutes and the patch will come out brite green from the copper. If you use something like Wipe Out a few times you will find yourself down to bare metal! Not necessarily the best place to be but you know for certain the bore is clean! 4 or 5 shots will usually foul the barrel to the point where it shoots best. With pistols or factory rifle barrels you won't see much of a change for up to 200 rounds (depending on the condition of the bore, how well the rifle shoots and how well the shooter shoots! Could be less, could be more, you just have to shoot and find out!). The only exception is a benchrest rifle that is capable of shooting .250" or smaller 5 shot groups at 100 yards, over and over! When the groups start to open up, you've reached the limit and the rifle just told you to clean the barrel!
Cheers,
crkckr

1 - 18 of 18 Posts