Glock 17 Gen 4 First Impressions

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by astepup, Sep 1, 2015.

Tags:
  1. astepup

astepup

As some may recall I recently both bought a Gen 3 19 and joined this great forum. I took delivery today of the 17 I ordered, put two full mags through it and wanted to share some thoughts. After completely cleaning/lubing and making sure all was good I fired two mags worth of R-P 115 grn FMJ with no problems whatsoever. I really do like the options the additional back straps provide, selecting the "medium" with the beaver tail as this seems to fit me very well. For now as on the 19 I'm going to stick with the polymer sights but I'm sure they'll be an upgrade sometime in the future. Recoil did seem less than the 19, perhaps due to the double recoil spring setup. The biggest noticeable difference is in the trigger. The 19 was made in Austria and exhibits very little if any "creep" after initial take up before release while the USA made 17 does have some creep just before release that you can really feel when you slowly pull through. I've been reading as much as I can on the 3.5# connector, but for now I'm just going to concentrate on putting more rounds downrange and getting used to the Glocks. I can always upgrade later. At this stage of early ownership I can definitely recommend this Gen 4 Glock and look forward to fully breaking it in. Biggest issue is figuring out which one I like more :supergrin::supergrin:

2. skyboss_4evr

skyboss_4evr

They'll both serve you well.

3. HGxyz

HGxyz

I think your gen4 may have a dot (.) connector. This will give you more creep than the standard connector. If you want even more creep, go to a minus (-) connector (sometimes called a 3.5 lb or 4.5 lb).

4. S.Austin10

S.Austin10

Just my 2 cents on your observation.

I bought my gen4 17 over a year ago, it is Austrian made and had the same creep and bind your talking about. It was my first firearm so I didn't really have a lot to compare it to. I eventually had a ghost 4.5lb connector installed. I had that in there for a long time but it always felt a little off, don't know why, it just seemed heavier than a connector supposedly a pound lighter than the stock connector, it also didn't seem to help my accuracy all that much. I own several other firearms all of which I was able to shoot with much more accuracy than the 17 under that set up, this is including a bone stock glock 21 (Factory trigger was also much better out of the box on the 21). Only difference between the 21 and 17 other than caliber was the aftermarket sights and trigger connector on the 17. I took some time to make sure the sights were totally zeroed, they were, and even with that I would still get an occasional flyer.

Fast forward to last week, I finally had enough of the ghost connector and swapped the original back in. But before doing so used some solvent and cleaned the factory connector and trigger assembly. The trigger is now as crisp as ever, no bind, no creep, nothing.

I think what might happen a lot of times is when the guns ship the factory oil and grease gets into the trigger assembly and causes the stacking and creep.

If you're not comfortable obviously don't go this route, But from this point forward when I buy a new glock, if it is exhibiting that trigger creep my first move is going to be detail stripping the frame and cleaning the trigger internals. I was amazed at the difference it made, and there was no new connector or trigger job required.

kingcruncher likes this.
  5. bac1023

bac1023

Congrats on the G17.

6. DakotaGlockGuy

DakotaGlockGuy Polymer Artist

Are you saying you cleaned the trigger assembly and put the gun back together dry, or that you cleaned the bronze break in grease off the parts and re-lubed with something else?

7. stevedal12

stevedal12

Congrats on the new 17, I picked up a gen 4 17 last weekend myself and love it. One trip to the range and 100 flawless rounds so far. I'm waiting on some Truglo TFX sights to come in, only change planned.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2015
  8. Mike-M

Mike-M

There is no such thing as a 3.5-lbf connector, aftermarket BS notwithstanding. The Glock OEM MINUS connector produces 4.5-lbf in an otherwise all OEM stock pre-Gen4 pistol, and 5.0-lbf in a Gen4 pidtol. Your pistol came with the DOT connector, which produces 5.0-lbf in pre-Gen4, and 5.5-lbf in Gen4.

9. DEADEYEGUY

DEADEYEGUY

Just my own solution on my GEN4 G19. 3.5lb. Ghost connector, 25 cent trigger job, and GEN3 G17 non serrated trigger (which doesn't have the "dimple" in it). Made for a beautiful trigger pull. A little over 4lbs., still distinct trigger break, no problems in thousands of rounds. My buddy says it's better than the trigger on his GEN4 G34 competition gun.

10. S.Austin10

S.Austin10

Probably should clarify that. I only took a patch to the trigger assembly to take some of the powder residue off, it's still lubed, the only thing the solvent went on was the connector itself, and I put some CLP on that. So no, it was not reassembled dry.

11. GregP220

GregP220

2 magazines of ammo and you're reviewing the gun?

And planning modifications?

Giggity-Giggity likes this.
  12. Nick B

Nick B

LOL !

13. Giggity-Giggity

Giggity-Giggity Giggity-Goo!!!

I bought my G17Gen4 right when it came out around 2010. It did have the regular none beaver tail replaceable back straps, but I end up not using any; plus it came with the basic connector. As for the trigger, shooting the hell out of it made the trigger smoother.

What's really noticeable with the Gen4s is the dual recoil spring in a stronger tension when racking the slide back.

I'm content with it since it's my only Glock in 9mm.

14. Bruce M

Bruce M

Enjoy your G17. I would probably want a few times at the range and a fair amount of shooting it before I started swapping stuff.

I sometimes wonder if some people get some sort of different connector early and whatever gains they get are actually gains from simply shooting more and improving regardless of the trigger.

15. SDGlock23

SDGlock23 JABRONI AUTIST

Enjoy it, everyone should own a G17.

16. harold63

harold63 I'm not retired

The trigger creep is from all the surfaces that move and touch during the trigger pull not being smooth. It doesn't have anything to do with US Glocks. Every one I own was made in Austria and every one had creep. 25 cent trigger job with only a Q-tip and paste is a half measure, You've got to get the friction points smooth, put a non drip lube on them, and the trigger will feel like it's on precision bearings.

17. astepup

astepup

It wasn't exactly a "review", just some first impressions I had of the gun. As these are the first two Glocks I've ever owned I do plan on getting a lot more trigger time with both before I would modify anything. I've been shooting and reloading for over 38 years, have five 1911's, four AR-15's along with a host of other various firearm types so I'm not exactly "new" to the shooting sports. I've modified quite a few of my guns (sights, stocks, triggers, springs etc) but only after firing them quite a bit before figuring out what I want to change and why. As mentioned before I am new to the whole Glock platform and just wanted to share my initial thoughts on the interchangeable back straps and trigger feel.

HGxyz likes this.
  18. HGxyz

HGxyz

Hazing the new guy - don't worry about it.

19. glide

glide Just sayin'

Least I do to a new Glock is:

1) Install new night sights
    2) Install new aftermarket springs and connector

The most I'll do is new night sights and trigger kit.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

20. GregP220

GregP220

Fair enough and enjoy the 17.

HGxyz likes this.